Priceline Hotel: Help with strategy for San Francisco hotel

sf11
By sf11,
in

Hi:

I am a first time user of this website, so please forgive me if I am not posting the "right" way.

I would like to use PL for 1 room in San Francisco, CA; 3 nights (02/29/2012-03/03/2012). I would prefer a 4 or 3.5 star hotel in an area where I have public transportation nearby, restaurants and local atractions easily accessible; I would prefer an area that is not deserted after dark. I am not familiar w. SF. Preliminary scanning points to Union Square East. I would like to get a room if possible for under $110/night. Please recommend strategy. Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

USE and USW would be good choices (although some of USW goes into the 'tenderloin' district which some don't like due to quite a few homeless people who beg for change/money in the area). Depending upon your needs, the Fisherman Wharf might be an option as well, although note it's touristy and there is no BART access (but there is cable car access).

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3.5* or is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay?

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (please click this PRICELINE link before replying, thanks)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, thereuare.I have a "standard" reservation as a backup at the Chancellor Hotel (USE) for $135/night (and a $25 credit/day for food or drinks at the hotel for an extra $10/day). So I am looking for an equivalent or better hotel if possible in the same area and for less. Taxes add quite a lot. Probably the max that would make sense to pay for something that cannot be cancelled would be $120/night. So my goal is to save money but still get a good hotel in an area where we would be comfortable without a car.

Thanks. Usually we are happy at AAA THREE star rated hotels. I do not know how the AAA rating compares to Priceline's. So a lower rated PL hotel (not less than AAA 3 star rated one) for less would be my choice. Obviously being lucky and getting a 4 star hotel for the price of a lower rated one is the real win :):) .

If you could suggest lower (but not low)rated hotels in USE that usually are available through Priceline, I will try to find them on AAA's site, check their rating and get a sense for how the two rating systems compare - if that's a workable approach.

• 5 years later...

Thank you for closing this thread with your decision.  Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

If you're not familiar, we have a sister site RefundableRates.com which is a good source for your back-up reservations as you can evaluate by rates that offer liberal cancellation policies.

Please remember to return to BetterBidding and use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPSandHOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Hope you enjoyed your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]