Priceline airfare bidding worth it 6 months in advance?

coder_t2
By coder_t2,
in

Is it worth it to bid on Priceline Airfare 6 months in advance on when you want to fly? Or can you really only get a decent discount in the last month before your departure date? Been trying to book a flight to San Francisco for April, but it keeps getting rejected, and getting to the point where the price difference isn't worth not knowing the times of my flight. Thank!

Airfare, even through conventional booking channels can be a bit of a crapshoot. Deals on airfare have improved over the last few months, but deep discounts are still far and few between. I would begin bidding early but keeping your bids at the low end of the generally expected range so that any win would make locking in the purchase worthwhile. However, note that to use PRICELINE for airfare your plans need to be very flexible since you can't choose departure/arrival times, length of layover or location.

What route are you considering and what are current rates? (please indicate base fare and taxes/fees) How much of a savings would you need to make an opaque airfare purchase worthwhile?

Have you tried any bidding for your San Francisco hotel stay... please update your thread with any bidding you have tried and/or your current thoughts for that trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and please click each of these links before replying.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I haven't bid on any hotels, yet. I wanted to have my flight booked before getting the hotel, so I know exactly when I am arriving or leaving. Currently, I can get a flight for $330 + $50 in tax and fees, from Dayton to SFO. It is only worth it to me if I can get my tickets for $300, including taxes and fees. Cincinnati 's cheapest flight is like $450, so it isn't didn't even seem worthwhile to bid with that as my departing airport. I am currently at my $300 threshold in bidding. Been bidding on tickets for about 4 weeks now. My schedule is flexible enough to accommodate not knowing my exact flight times, since Priceline guarantees layovers are no longer than 3 hours.

Two reasons not to bid 6 months out:

1 - Your credit card gets charged 6 months out.

2 - Lots of things can change in one's life and the world in 6 months.

However, if you are OK with the credit card hit and you are really sure of the trip, exploring the lower end of the possible price range does make sense.

Bidding is free......

Romelle

I am sure of the trip. I really have no problem with the credit card hit. Like to get things set ahead of time, before hotels and flights are booked up and I end up paying more for waiting. Unless you think I can get a much better price by waiting until a couple months before. But my big question is, do airlines only discount their flights a couple weeks before the flight date? Basically making my bidding a waste of time?

There really isn't any way of knowing. As long as you are just exploring the lower levels and don't get competitive, IMO it is worth trying well ahead of time. Maybe just once a week or even a little less frequently. But at the same time, watch for sales and maybe set some of those watch-dog sites to alert you to a fare drop.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]