Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help

penny waltz
By penny waltz,
in

So I have never planned a trip this advanced and I don't know anything about Boston hotels. My experience with PL has mainly been NYC.

I'm going to a conference on from April 6-8, 2012 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. I was wondering when should I start bidding for hotel rooms? I am hoping to find something around $100/per night range, which I am unsure if it is possible... I might be able to afford a little more. ideally I would like to check in the night before (so April 5-8th for the hotel room). What zones should I be looking at for Boston Convention and Exhibition Center?

I don't care much about star ratings, but I do prefer 3*++ (my impression, at least with NYC s 3* usually have free wifi and 4* would charge). I would also will be coming by car, so I need to figure out where to park.

Using Priceline for the Best Hotel Deals!

As far as when to bid, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

If the conference is at the main convention center, then the Waterfront-Convention Center zone would likely be best, as the convention center lies within this zone.

Please follow-up this previous Priceline New York City as well as this other NYC Priceline thread with whatever you ended up doing for each of those stays, then reply to this thread and we'll continue the discussion for your trip above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello

This link has been followed up Priceline New York City with 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt $115 ... 6/26/11-6/27/11

This Priceline Strategy was not used, since my trip ended up getting canceled, hence there was no follow up posting on hotels booked. I am looking at NYC trip next month, if I do, I will be using that strategy.

This Boston trip is in stone, since I have brought the non-refundable tickets.

Thanks

The Grand Hyatt win was for only one nite, the original request was for two nites... did you cancel the second nite of the trip, book direct, make other plans, etc? Please conclude your thread with whatever you end up doing for the stay, if it wasn't PRICELINE or HOTWIRE (or canceled the trip) as it helps keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone. Better a user knows you canceled the trip, booked direct, etc. rather than reading your thread and then left wondering what ultimately happened.

This Priceline Strategy was not used, since my trip ended up getting canceled, hence there was no follow up posting on hotels booked

Please conclude the thread stating that you canceled the trip.

This Boston trip is in stone, since I have brought the non-refundable tickets.

At the moment rates look somewhat high for these dates, is the Waterfront-Convention Center the only zone you're willing to accept? Did you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5*, then if rejected try for a 3*... OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have followed up on the other postings, as you requested.

I am willing to look at other zones, as long as I can hop on the T and be at the convention center perhaps within 30 mins. I don't know Boston that well, but I know their T-system is fairly slow (I'm spoiled with NYC's subway system). So I am unsure which zones to look at, hence I posted on this forum. Looking at the map, I see a few close zones (i.e airport or quincy), but I am unsure how quickly I can get to the convention center from those places via T.

I am fine with trying 4* first and than 3/3.5*. My goal is least expensive (perhaps around $100ish a night), of course distance. The conference hotel discount is giving me $150/night for the doubletree downtown boston. I have booked that and I am able to cancel that reservation up to 21 days before my stay.

I too am more familiar with NYC's subway than i am Boston's T, and while slower, i don't think the T is that slow. from looking at the map, the Quincy Market and Copley Square zones are at most ~2 miles the convention center, so i don't think it would be more than 30 minutes travel time from either of these locations, but you should do a bit more research to confirm. The 'problem' with the Airport zone is that you won't likely be staying directly at the airport, so you would need to take a shuttle from the hotel to the airport, walk from the terminal to the T Station (typically not adjacent to the shuttle drop-off point) and then the Silver Line to the Convention Center... this could be time consuming.

After a bit of research let us know which of the above zone(s) should work for your needs and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

I am fine with trying 4* first and than 3/3.5*. My goal is least expensive...

I think this is contradictory, to clarify...

Do you want to bid for a 4* first up to $100, if rejected try for a 3.5* up to $100, if rejected try for a 3* up to $100 OR...

Start your bidding for a 3* hotel, hoping for a lower price then you might have otherwise won a 4* property. (ie- as an example, what would you prefer a 4* for $100 vs. a 3* at $80... the first option gives you the ability to win the 4* hotel; the second option gives you a chance for a lower rated hotel at a lower price)

Hope that makes sense, but if not, feel free to ask any questions.

• 1 month later...

For the last week or two, I have been starting my bid from 3.5*/3* at 100 going up to $120 and so far nothing. I think it might be too early. I have already booked a refundable hotel through the conference rate for $130/night. I can cancel within a few days before the stay, so I guess I will try again maybe 2 months or a month before the stay date (of course before the refundable date expires).

have you bid today or yesterday as PRICELINE has just re-zoned this area and you should now have more re-bid zones available (and may want to confirm which zone(s) you're willing to accept).

Keep us updated on your bidding and let us know how we can be of further help.

Hi,

I think I can clarify the transportation issue. (I've picked up lots of great tips about Chicago from you guys, so I love it when I can pay back a little!)

The Convention & Exhibition Center is kind of a pain, the only part of Boston that isn't well served by public transportation. The Silver Line is not really the T; it's a bus. As it happens, it's a relatively easy trip from the airport, because the Silver line runs straight from Logan to the Convention & Exh. Center. It's true that most Logan area hotels are not right there, but there is one (a Sheraton, I think) that's adjacent to Logan. From any other area you would almost certainly have to take the T to South Station and change to the Silver line bus. Tolerable, but if you were in Copley or Back Bay it would be Green Line to Red Line to Silver, which is going to be slow.

I would take a taxi, honestly. Compared to NYC, Boston is really small and a taxi will be fast (the Mass Pike connects the Center to Back Bay and Copley) and not expensive.

have you bid today or yesterday as PRICELINE has just re-zoned this area and you should now have more re-bid zones available (and may want to confirm which zone(s) you're willing to accept).

Keep us updated on your bidding and let us know how we can be of further help.

I haven't bid yet yesterday or today. I played around with it last week. I'll check the new rezoned and see if it works better. I'm in no rush since this stay isn't till April.

• 5 months later...

Thanks! I have never taken a taxi in Boston yet... NYC is not that badly price...that is good to know. I dislike the fact the T stops running like at midnight.

Forgot to close this out.. was looking through my old posts. Sadly didn't get any bid wins for Boston. But I'll be practicing in the upcoming year since I'll be living 90 mins outside of Boston in the Fall and will be wanting to do night trips (without the drive back).

For this conference, I ended up using the conference rate that I booked once I registered for the conference. Stayed at a DoubleTree in Chinatown that was quite nice..

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]