Am I eligible for a refund if hotel cannot provide 2 beds for Hotwire

Kathy Moore
By Kathy Moore,
in

Am I eligible for a refund if hotel cannot provide 2 beds for Hotwire reservation of 1 room, 4 adults?

I booked a room via Hotwire. The rate was $107 plus the usual Hotwire fees/taxes. The hotel's

corporate reservation site showed lowest rate as $162 at the time. Hotwire emailed me the reservation

confirmation, clearly stating 1 room, 4 adults. It was only for one night and we hoped for 2 beds,

or at least 1 bed and 1 sofa bed. It's hardly unreasonable, since we clearly stated it on the

reservation. We even called the hotel twice to let them know this. It was clearly noted on the

reservation in the hotel's own computer system, according to the manager. However, he said it

was just a "request" and cannot be guaranteed...

When we arrived around 6pm, the hotel only had rooms with king-size beds and no sofabeds... not

even rollaway or cots. The manager stated that they only have two double beds in less than

one-third of the 150 rooms. The hotel was fully booked for that night. Worse yet: no room

had sofas... in fact, all were single-seaters and a small ottoman.(in addition to a wooden office

chair.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be expect two beds or one bed plus sofa bed when the reservation

clearly informed them of 4 adults.

Hotwire rep called the hotel and was unable to work out alternative arrangements. The hotel and

Hotwire were unwilling to book us one additional room nearby. Not even at the Motel 6 down the

street. Two of us ended up going to the Motel 6 and paying $49 of our own money for one night.

Needless to say, they weren't very comfortable.

I have contacted Hotwire customer service a couple of times and they refused to do anything.

One supervisor even said: "four average adult on one kind-size bed should be pose any problems..."

(direct quote... I have the phone conversation recorded after obtaining her permission)

What do you guys think? Who is at fault here? Hotwire, the hotel, or us? It's not just the

extra money that we seek to be reimbursed for... I think Hotwire should admit that they were

being unreasonable here. How are 4 adults supposed to fit on one bed? Perhaps they should

put this in the fine prints "only 1 bed is guaranteed, even if the reservation is for 4 adults"

or perhaps just remove the 3rd/4th-person option in the pull-down menu during reservation?

Sorry for the long rant... Just to be fair, I have bought hotel rooms from Hotwire for many

years and this is the first time I've encountered a problem. :(

Welcome to BetterBidding!

As per Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Thanks! :)

Please share your results with the board, as well as read your messages, then reply to this thread and we'll comment on your issue above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This situation certainly is worrisome for me as I use HOTWIRE when we are more than two adults. How can a hotel /hotwire say that 4 adults in a King bed should pose no problem?

I hope this gets resolved so those who use Hotwire for family stays can feel assured we will not encounter something similar. Good luck. I obviously think you are right. Please post your win.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]