Bonus cash if you just hit bottomline with your bid

XT600
By XT600,
in

My assumption on how "cash-bonus" works:

As this bonus is a promotional I suppose they won't allow the system to use the bonus in a way that priceline will loose money: resp. the price which priceline need to pay to hotel would be higher than priceline got customer!

so let's assume that hotel wants to get $80 from priceline (this is the "internal" price in system for the date you bid) - if you use $10 USD bonus and bid $70 you won't win, because then priceline would not make any profit!

So in order to win need to leave priceline a bit of profit e.g. you bid $75 and they get $5 profit....

Correct?

So in order to win need to leave priceline a bit of profit e.g. you bid $75 and they get $5 profit...

I'll be interested in the moderators comments. I've always thought like you that the quoted phrase is how it works. I'd like to think the money was "real," but it always seems when I try to use it the cost is always a bit higher that a straight bid.

I would imagine that there are safeguards in place so that they remain profitable, but i would also assume that their booking fee is included in their calculation, so if the above is accurate (i don't know for certain), it would only become an issue if the amount of bonus money per nite was greater than their nightly booking fee.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

I have used bonus cash a number of times in hotels that we have established baseline prices for wins (like my win in Rochester last week for $34 + $5 bonus cash knowing that the established base price is $39 for what I was bidding on).

I don't think the bonus cash effects us in our bidding. Priceline makes their money in the fee's portion of the taxes & fee's.

• 1 month later...

It would be a deceptive sales practice on priceline if they did not honor the bonus cash appropriately. If you have bonus cash valid for $5 per night and you bid $35 per night with the actual price of $40 per night priceline must honor the bid. Keep in mind prices which you expect to be successful (eg those which have been successful in the past) may not be successful on a particular day.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still unsucessful with my 5x$10 bonus cash ... maybe I'm too early for March 2012 SanDiego bids - I'm trying to get the Residence Inn at Escondido which fits with the scores and was won last year for $65 - I bid 55+10 but it was rejected - I changed the date to full weekend (Fr-Su) also rejected.

should I try it with 65 without the bonus cash? Then complain??

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]