Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC Dec 5-6th

4starsforless
By 4starsforless,
in

Hi! I am relatively new to this, and have only posted once before over a year ago about a Hotwire hotel win. My husband and I will be in NYC this Dec and need a hotel for the night of the 5th. We arrive on the 2nd and are staying at the Club Quarters Midtown through the 4th, paid for by my husband's employer. To avoid staying there and paying $375/night for an extra night on us, I wanted to find a nice hotel (preferrably 4 stars) somewhere close by for less.

My target price would be $200, inlcuding taxes, which I see may be difficult during this time. I have been on HOTWIRE, and I believe I have identified the Grand Hyatt New York for $240/night. This hotel would be great if I could get it on Priceline for under $200. However, I have looked at all the 4 star hotels in Priceline's MTE and MTW and they are all fine. Times Square/Theater District and Central Park South would probably be okay too... main concern is that I don't want to have to walk too far with luggage from Club Quarters Midtown.

Any help with a strategy would be MUCH appreciated!

Welcome back.

... main concern is that I don't want to have to walk too far with luggage from Club Quarters Midtown.
That's what taxis are for... better to spend $8 on a taxi ride cross down than $25-$50 for an additional nite close to your previous hotel :)

Please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, then reply to this thread and we'll see what options you have for the nite above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Your target of $200 all-in is probably not going to be enough for this nite given current rates i'm seeing at the moment. $200 all-in is equivalent to about a $165/nite bid price, which doesn't look like it will be sufficient. If you want to give it a try anyway, are you ok with MTE, MTW, CPS and TS? What about ESB?

If you're turned down for a 4* at a maximum bid of $165, is your next move to lower your star rating or raise your bid?

PLEASE use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board each time you access the respective site and search, bid or make a purchase.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I am okay with all the locations you mentioned. I am not sure whether my next move is to up my price or lower my star level... not ruling out either. I really don't see myself going about $220, however. I lean towards lowering the star level, but I need to spend a little time today researching what all the 3.5 star hotels that might show up in those areas are like. Thanks again for your help!

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS and TS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and TS...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS and ESB...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB and TS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB and CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, and ESB...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185

I went up to a $185 bid price (which would be close to $220 all-in) but you can stop at whatever amount you'd like. If the above is rejected let us know what you decide regarding lowering the star rating, raising your bid, etc.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the quick response and plan!

I went through the first link and the bid was rejected each time. I closed down the browser and used the link provided in the plan to reopen. However, it couldn't process the request because it was a duplicate. I changed the locations and followed all the directions. Could this be because I have a login and was already signed in? I did try to close the browser again and move down the list to the $135 bid on MTW, MTE, and TS. Same result.

Also, 3.5* for all of those areas are okay for us. 3* in MTW is okay too. If I can't get under $200 all-in for any of the 3.5* options, I am going to rethink my preferences and decide at that point if I would rather get a 3* under $200 or spend more to get a nicer place. May just have to come around to the fact that NYC in Dec is about three times as expensive as many other cities.

No, that's not how re-bidding works...

Re-bidding is adding a zone that you don't really want to stay in, but you can add to your bidding as the zone only offers hotels which are lower rated then the star level you selected.

To break it down further, and determine your re-bid zones, start with this:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter New York and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Using your PRICELINE link, I went through the process (using the correct rebid zones :) ) and went all the way up to a total of $224 with taxes and fees. Even tried for a 3.5 star. Really just didn't want to go much more than $200 all-in.

I may keep trying, but I booked a room at the new Z Hotel NY in Long Island City after my priceline attempts. It looks like exactly the kind of hotel aesthetic I was looking for (artsy, hipster vibe) and has some cool amenities - complimentary breakfast and complimentary limo rides (on the hour) into Midtown, all for $204 including taxes and fees.

Thank you for your help, and I will continue to use your PRICELINE link for future searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]