Priceline Hotel: 3.5* DC (Convention Center-Capitol Hill) Renaissance Washington

dopplerbob
By dopplerbob,
in

Well, first off, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for helping me in choosing a hotel, and getting it cheaper through Priceline. I found out about this forum while reading a topic on Trip Advisor about Wash. DC hotels.

So here is my experience on booking through Priceline.

I originally booked a hotel at the Days Inn directly on their site for $140 a night (not through Priceline). It is only a 1 or 2 star hotel, but I had full cancellation options included if I chose. Upon reading on Trip Advisor, I found that it isn't the greatest place and that I should check out Priceline and this forum. So I started bidding on 3.5 and 4* hotels in the Downtown and Capitol District areas. I had no luck starting at $80 and working up in $5 increments. The problem is I am visiting during the Cherry Blossom Festival time. Probably one of the busiest times of the year. Well, after trying different things for a couple of hours, my bid was finally accepted to the above hotel for that price of $135 a night. I an going from Apr. 7 to the 10th. Right smack during the peak of the cherry blossom blooming. Looks like a nice place and I got it for the same price that I had for the Days Inn which is far away from the main sightseeing areas.

I think I did ok?

:)

Bob

Thank You Aaron. It's a long way off but looking forward to our trip. I had some credit on Southwest and had to use it up before May 10th. I looked on SW.com to see where they fly nonstop from Hartford. BWI was one choice. Put 2 and 2 together and remembered seeing the Cherry Blossom Festival every year so figured it would be a nice trip. Free airfare and not a bad rate for the hotel. Now I just have to figure out the best way to get from BWI to our hotel :)

I found this service called SuperShuttle that looks pretty reasonable through Priceline.

Bob

One issue with SuperShuttle similar companies is that they're shared ride services and therefore you often stop at multiple hotels enroute to your own... if you're one of the first to get dropped off it's not an issue, but if you're one of the last it can be a much longer ride then it should be.

You can also try Viator for similar shuttle services as well as things to do when in the DC area.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Have a great trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Bob,

Thanks for the details. I am trying to visit DC the last weekend of March, the beginning of the cherry blossom festival, and am here scanning trying to get an idea for a hotel budget.

Was it out of your realm to want to stay in Arlington or Crystal City? I've never been, and am wondering if the cheaper rates are worth a metro/bus ride in to the downtown area.

Thanks, and have fun!

Bob,

I live in DC area and work 2 blocks from the Renaissance. That's a great rate for that time or year. I will warn you that there is a HUGE construction project (big deep hole) across the street from the Renaissance, so be sure to ask them for a room NOT facing 9th Street. Cheap ways to get from BWI to Washington: Amtrak ($11) on Weekends. MARC train ($6) on weekdays. Free shuttle bus from airport to the BWI rail station. Also, the B30 Metrobus for $6 from BWI to Greenbelt metro station on the green line. Then, transfer to red line to Gallery Place. Your hotel is 2 blocks from the 9th street exit at Gallery Place. BTW, you might be a bit late for the Cherry Blossoms. It just depends on the weather every year. There's about a 7 day peak period and it's usually the end of Mar to beginning of April. Have a great trip.

Thank you so much for that great info. That sounds great on the transportation issue. I was a little worried about that but not anymore. That's a bummer about the blossoms, but I already have my airfare. But I can always change it- Southwest allows changes for free. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Thanks again for the info,

Bob

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]