Priceline Hotel: NYC 12/2/2011-12/10/2011

Lotus73
By Lotus73,
in

We are going to NYC for the first time from Friday 12/2/2011 to Saturday 12/10/2011. We have our flights setup and our vacation time planned with the jobs so can't change the date now! We will be flying into Newark and, to save money, probably will stay the night we fly in and the night before we fly out in Newark to save money. So we are overwhelmed with where we should stay, our budget is about $200 a night with taxes in NYC. We would love to stay somewhere convenient so we don't waist a lot of time spinning our wheels. I've tried the following bidding without success:

Priceline bidding strategy (Location #, Location, Star rating available):

1 Brooklyn All

2 Central Park South All

3 Chelsea All

4 Coney Island 1,2

5 Downtown - Soho Financial All

6 Empire State Building Area All

7 Hell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm just adding my two cents:

Personally I'm open to all zones in Manhattan (in the sense that they're convenient enough for me).

The Wall Street Inn often has good weekend rates.

To me, Jersey City is also appealing option. All the hotels in that zone are newish corporate hotels so I'd be comfortable even bidding for the 2* Candlewood Suites. Transport is good on the subway-like PATH train. From Herald Square to Newport Station is max 10-20 minute wait + 20 minute ride + 5 minute walk (10 for Candlewood). The Hyatt to WTC is max 20 minute wait + 4 minute ride. (Less waiting time during the day.) Also good for the airport. I'm personally tempted to lowball a bid there and see what happens. (I once won Hyatt JC for $89.)

Stay away from the other areas in Jersey unless your desperate (or you want to be near the airport). The public transit and neighbourhoods are generally awful.

I stayed at the recently-constructed Four Points in Long Island City and liked it. One stop to Manhattan so I could be anywhere I wanted in about 20 minutes (longer after 1am). http://deals.fourpoints.com/Four-Points-Lo...tel-3540/so.htm

Of course it is better to stay in Manhattan and it is worth a certain premium. The question for you is, "how much?" Sure, I'd pay $20 extra to stay in Manhattan vs. Jersey or LIC but if I won a JC hotel for $75 vs. $175 or $275 in Manhattan...

Good luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]