different quotes for different users

Edwin_E
By Edwin_E,
in

I am puzzled how hotwire works: I just made an inquiry (Atlanta Perimeter, 0ct 9-Oct 12) through hotwire (used your link). A friend from Atlanta made the same inquiry and got a price 4$ lower. We tried that several times - always with the same result. How comes?

Does that mean that you have to ask 5 people to search for a price if you want to get the best one???

I'm assuming you both had exactly the same parameters in your inquiries, especially number of people?

Same dates, looking at same star level?

The response had the same amenities offered, even with the different price?

Both used the same entry Hotwire address - www.hotwire.com (I don't know about Hotwire, but know there is a "UK" version of Priceline, and used to be another)

Both using the same month (I know Europeans typically use day/month while people from the US use month/day)?

One using Oct 12 as the final night with a check-out Oct 13, and one using it as the check-out date?

One didn't use the link and the other did?

You could both clear any "cookies" associated with Hotwire, and see if that makes a difference.

I can't think why time zone or currency translation could have an impact?

I tried Hotwire just now 2pm Central time - from Minnesota - used check-in Sun Oct 9 & check-out Wed Oct 12. 2 people. I see $68 for a 4* Perimeter area hotel. Amenities - Bed choice, Fitness Center, Pool, Restaurant, Hi-speed internet and Spa.

I know there is a garden catalog that has given a friend and me different on-line prices, and we live less than 10 miles apart.

I hope you will post back if you solve the mystery. Definitely a puzzler.

Romelle

HOTWIRE fluctuates prices from one search to the next so that the $65 hotel in the zone is not always 'Hotel A' and the $68 hotel in the zone is not always 'Hotel B'... by pricing each (for example) at a rate of $70-$78 it makes it unknown which hotel you're likely being offered.

The way HOTWIRE's back end works, if you do one search and 10 minute later the same search, you'll get the same rate (which is why when you 'tried it serveral times' you experienced the same results)... but do one search now and then do the same search 12-24 hours later and you'll likely see a difference of a few dollars (sometimes higher... sometimes lower). Using your example above, if you wait 24 hours, it's just as likely that your friend will see a higher rate and you see a lower rate.

My advice is that when you see what you know is a good deal, take it, as it may not be offered again on subsequent search or the following day. Of course the lower the better, but when i see a hotel i think i have identified and it's a good deal and something i want, i'm not willing to risk losing it for $3-$5/nite, when the savings are typically $50+ per nite or more. :)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 months later...

I am new here and before joining Betterbidding, I noticed the same thing happen when checking on my phone vs. my laptop. I was seeing what appeared to be the exact same listing (Same amenities, location, star rating, stats, etc), but it would be a few dollars higher or lower. I agree that if you identify a great deal, it's go time... as I wouldn't want to lose it by monkeying around for few bucks.

Cheers,

-Tesla

• 2 weeks later...

electric hotels,

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, then start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay and we will address you questions above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I watched hotwire hotels in FLL for several weeks. A 4 star hotel in FLL beach with same rating and amenities did go up and down a few dollars throughout the week. Usually being cheapest on Wed and Thursday. I finally decided to book the hotel and price was $98.00.. I got busy at work and was unable to book at that moment. Got back on later and was $106.0.. So I said Huh? We have several computers at work so I checked again from a different computer.. $98.00.. Strange.

• 7 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]