Hotwire Hotel: 3* Oahu (Waikiki Central) Radisson Prince Kuhio

berkeleyboy
By berkeleyboy,
in

I was able to secure the Hawaii Prince for myself and my girlfriend, but now I'm trying to help out my parents, who are planning a trip to Waikiki from 9/14-9/19. My dad already has secured as a back-up a small room at the Sheraton Princess Kuilana (3-stars) for $109/night. He is certain that he wants to stay in Waikiki South only. Through Priceline, he is thinking that maybe he can either (1) pay a little more for a 4-star, or (2) get a 3-star hotel for less than $109.

For a 4-star, his max bid is $125. My father tried bids of $118 and $125 but got rejected. Please advise on whether you think we should be patient and try $125 again. If $125 is not feasible, then we are thinking that he could get a 3-star for much less than $109 on priceline, however we are fearful of getting the dreaded Park Shore. Thus, our idea is to bid on a 3-star and pay the $5/night cancellation insurance to hedge against the possibility of getting the Park Shore. So, if we end up with the Park Shore, we would pay the $5/night cancellation charge ($25 total) and just stay at the Kuilana. Do you think that this is a good strategy, and could you please recommend some bidding strategies? Thank you for your time!

Your strategy sounded reasonable until I got to the insurance part. I've never bought priceline insurance myself, but my guess is you might be in for a bit of a hassle trying to cancel a hotel because you don't like it. Now I suppose you can lie to the insurance company (feign sickness or something), but I don't know how easy that is to do (aside from the moral issues, like fraud).

As far as $125 working on a 4-star in the future, it's unknown. Probably significantly less than a 50-50 bet, but possible. I think he has to be willing to go up another $15 if he really wants a 4-star. Personally, I'd roll the dice on the 3 stars, after taking a peek at priceline vacations and hotwire and clutching my rabbit's foot. If he want to buy a little "insurance," he can pay the slightly higher transaction fee and bid for 1 night. Priceline has a feature where you can then try to add nights (up to the maximum your originally booked) if it's available at the "winning" hotel.

LoneStar: Thanks for your help. I read more about the insurance and do agree with you that it might be a pain to get reimbursed just because I don't like the hotel. I appreciate your response, however.

The cleanest way is obviously to figure out if my parents can live with the Park Shore (worst case scenario). If they can't, then they shouldn't bid and should just stick with the backup plan.

thereuare:

Yes, I checked hotwire out and I believe that one of the choices for Waikiki Central matched the description for the Radisson. Only $75 / night! I passed this along to my father, so now he has to decide between the convenience of the Sheraton Kaiulani ($109 / night, one block from beach) or the Radisson ($75 / night, three blocks from beach). I appreciate your response.

Little help. I'm a newbie and want to make sure my strategy is correct before I make this bid on Hotwire.

I wish to get Radisson Prince Kuhio for 9/14-9/20.

My strategy is to request a 3.5* in Waikiki Central (for 9/14-9/19) with the following amenties: Near Beach, Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Golf Nearby, Business Center, Laundry Facilities (self-service).

The price is going for $75.

Is this correct for Radisson Prince Kuhio?????

Yes. I booked the same hotel for 9/24-10/1. We paid $78, but note it has gone down some. We saved an additional $50 ($10/night for up to 5 nights) by using the Entertainment Book link to HOTWIRE. The credit is given at purchase time. There is another $30 rebate you can file for after that. If you haven't gotten an Entertainment Book yet, do it - they only cost $10 + shipping, and coupons are valid until end of October.

But back to your original question - yes, this is the exact amenity listing for the Radisson Prince Kuhio.

Oops. The $30 rebate requires the Entertainment Book. The $50 credit only requires that you enter "GIFTCARD06" when making the Hotwire reservation (enter it as a coupon or discount code on the bottom half of the payment screen). Still, the Entertainment Book will pay for itself several times over with all its restaurant and attractions discounts and 2 for 1 offers, and you have plenty of time to get one before your trip.

txgeekboy and thereuare:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I placed a 5-day reservation (9/14-9/19) for 3.5*, Waikiki Central, with the amenties mentioned. As advertised, I got the Radisson Prince Kuhio for $75/day minus $50 (with discount code GIFTCARD06) minus $30 (for Entertainment Rebate). Worked like a charm.

My net cost (including taxes) for 5 days will be $334.95 (approx $67/day).

Great job and thanks again.....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]