Priceline Hotel: 1* Chicago Suburbs (Oakbrook-Downers Grove) Extended StayAmerica D.G.

fallidar
By fallidar,
in

Decided to go cheap for this weekend. Could have gone with my usuals of $21 2* Itasca for the Days Inn (good property with free internet and breakfast (why is it that a 2* offers more free services than all the 4*s I stay at?)) or $23 2* Itasca for the extended stay (too much shame to go back after I set off smoke detector and fire department had to come out(who puts the smoker detector right above the stove top anyway?) or $22 in oak brook for the Homestead (okay property). Instead I was brave and tried my first 1* bid. Started at $18 and counteroffer for $24. Bid $19, still nothing. Bid $20 and hit Extended Stay America Chicago - Downers Grove. Just another extended stay property, pretty sure on what to expect, somewhat disappointing since the reason I use priceline is to experience different properties. I wonder why this one is 1* while other extended stay properties are 2*. I'll find out tomorrow.

Judging from the room layout it appears that priceline gives the extended stays with a true suite style layout 2* and the ones with a crammed in kitchenette in the back of a normal sized hotel room 1*.

So extended stay style properties seem to break down something like this.

2.5* = Couch and recliner and bed and room divider and Kitchenette usually with oven

2* = Recliner and bed and semi room divider and Kitchenette usually without oven (stovetop only)

1* = Bed and small kitchenette (stovetop only) with small or no divider

Some extended stay style properties have separate rooms for priceline/hotwire folks. I was accidently put in one of the new rooms which seem to have more modern fixtures/appliances and a newer television (which made the manager awfully upset with the girl who checked me in)

Ended up being a great value. This property is in my eyes equal if not superior to the 2* homestead just a block down the street I've stayed at for $22.

Blew a hole in my star theory since this property also had a recliner and a semi-room divider.

I'd write a review but I doubt my opinions are in line with what the average person looks for. I find that reviews I read expect far too much from low price properties (there's water on the floor in the bathroom... boo freaking hoo throw a towel on it) and far too little from high priced properties ($10 for WIFI WTF IS THAT! And no free amenities at all! When did that become acceptable?).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]