Priceline Hotel: 4* Vancouver Marriot Pinnacle Downtown

rruiz2269
By rruiz2269,
in

My wife and I plan to take our first trip to Vancouver 6/15 - 6/21. We plan on driving to Seattle on Friday (6/19) for a concert and then back to Vancouver the next day for the rest of the stay.

I've secured a hotel in Seattle but I'm having trouble securing a 4* Downtown Vancouver hotel on Priceline. Here are my bidding results:

6/15 - 6/17

Bid #1 - Vancouver - $60 (rejected)

Bid #2 - Vancouver+Delta - $62 (rejected)

Bid #3 - Vancouver+Langley - $63 (rejected)

Bid #4 - Vancouver+Surrey - $65 (rejected)

Bid #5 - Vancouver+Delta+Langley - $67 (rejected)

Bid #6 - Vancouver+Delta+Surrey - $70 (rejected)

Bid #7 - Vancouver+Langley+Surrey - $73 (rejected)

Bid #8 - Vancouver+Delta+Langley+Surrey - $85 (rejected)

I would like to keep my max bid below $100 since I've read other folks on this forum winning 4* Downtown Vancouver hotels in that range.

Any suggestions/advice would be very welcomed. Thanks in advance.

My wife and I plan to take our first trip to Vancouver 6/15 - 6/21. We plan on driving to Seattle on Friday (6/19) for a concert and then back to Vancouver the next day for the rest of the stay.

Hi, I'm wondering if you can confirm the dates of your stay in Vancouver. You say are going to Seattle on Friday (6/19) but the Friday is 6/17. I think you want two nights initially (6/15 and 6/16) and then are you looking for a Vancouver hotel again for the nights of June 18, 19 and 20?

The Dragon Boat Festival runs in Vancouver from June 17 to 19, so I think this will have some impact on your stay.

I noticed you posted in the Hotwire forum, but you have been bidding on Priceline. thereuare can move your post to the PL area, but I think you should check the Hotwire hotels for your dates, also.

Do you have a preference for the part of town you stay in? Any other important considerations?

I also see there is a Heart Valve Disease conference in town from June 17-20, with approx. 1500 delegates. You might have to expect to pay a bit more than for slower dates.

I see rates for the Marriott Pinnacle and the Hyatt close to $200/night US, $170 - $200 for the Sheraton Wall Centre, and even higher for the Westin Grand and the Westin Bayshore. Not sold out, but a bit on the high side.

The 4 or 4.5 * properties on Hotwire for 6/15-17 are $128 and $156. I think you might need to bid up to your max on Priceline, you don't have a lot of time left before your stay. For 6/18 - 21, the same star levels on Hotwire are even higher - $158, $159 and $174.

Thanks for the information on the events going on in Vancouver that weekend, Scorp.

You are correct, we are traveling to Seattle on Friday the 17th, not the 19th. Our departure date is the 20th, not the 21st.

The hotel stays in Vancouver will be the nights of June 15-16, then June 18-19. Our preference would be to stay in downtown.

With the information you've provided, I'm guessing I have two options:

1) Increase my max bid to be greater than $100, but below the rates Hotwire is showing for 4* & 4.5* properties, or

2) Choose a 3* hotel in downtown Vancouver.

Thanks again for you replies. Oh, btw, once I submitted the post I noticed it was in the wrong section and I've emailed thereuare to see if he can move it to the Priceline section.

Well I suspect you would have success on Priceline for 6/15 to 17 at about $100 for a 4* downtown. I wouldn't drop to a 3* unless you are unwilling to bid that high for a 4*. What is your comfort level for price and how quickly would you like to get this confirmed?

Can you give us a bit of an idea of your bidding history? Have you been bidding on this for a while? When did you bid last and when can you bid again? You could wait a few days and try again, but Vancouver seems pretty busy this summer, so I really don't know if that would improve your chances of getting something at a lower price or not.

If you can bid again, and don't mind going up to about $100, that is what I would do. I doubt you would have to go above $100 for the earlier dates, the later ones I am not so sure about.

If you just bid this recently, but can still bid again, I would start at $86 and plan your free rebids to allow for $100 max bid for the earlier dates. If you are successful for those dates in that range, that gives us some idea of a starting point for the later dates!

Scorp Posted on Jun 5 2005, 04:59 PM

What is your comfort level for price and how quickly would you like to get this confirmed?

My confort level for price would be around $100 for 6/15-17. I don't mind going a bit above that (let's say $105-$110) in order to get the hotel booked by the end of this week (6/11). I would prefer to have both my 6/15-17 and 6/18-19 stays booked by the weekend before I travel.

Can you give us a bit of an idea of your bidding history? Have you been bidding on this for a while? When did you bid last and when can you bid again?

As far as my bidding history, my first attempt was on 6/1. It was very similar to my last bid, started at $60 and worked up to $85, but I did not have as many bids as I had not discovered this forum yet. Since I bid again this morning, my next bidding opportunity is 72 hours from 11AM today.

I will take you advice and try again in 3 days starting at $86 and working up to $100 - $105 for the 6/15-17 stay. Once I have that booked, I'll figure out what to do for the weekend stay 6/18-19.

Thanks again for you help and advice.

You could also try bidding for 6/15 or 6/16 only and see if you are successful for that. If so, you can use Priceline's Add a Night feature to try and get the other night, as well. You will pay a bit more for fees by doing this, though.

Or if your wife has a separate credit card and email address, she could place a bid....

Have you tried bidding for 6/18 to 20 at all yet? You could also try those nights using the above strategy...

If you decide to wait a few days before bidding again, you should take a quick look at the hotel rates or Hotwire rates before bidding, just to see if there has been any significant change (unlikely, but you never know....)

Please feel free to ask questions about any of the above!

I've tried to follow the above and can't figure out the dates involved.

Please pick one set of dates and continue this thread for those dates and start a NEW TOPIC for the other set of dates.

Once you clarify the date(s) for this thread i'll be able to take a look and suggest a strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Success! Scorp, I took your advice and bid for a 4* Downtown Vancouver for the night of 6/15 only. Here are the bid results:

Bid #1 - Vancouver - $86 (rejected)

Bid #2 - Vancouver+Delta - $88 (rejected)

Bid #3 - Vancouver+Langley - $90 (rejected)

Bid #4 - Vancouver+Surrey - $92 (rejected)

Bid #5 - Vancouver+Delta+Langley - $94 (rejected)

Bid #6 - Vancouver+Delta+Surrey - $96 (rejected)

Bid #7 - Vancouver+Langley+Surrey - $98 (rejected)

Bid #8 - Vancouver+Delta+Langley+Surrey - $100 (accepted)

The property awarded was the Marriot Pinnacle Downtown. I then elected to add another night and was able to obtain it. Total price for each night will be $118.85.

Now I need to book the end of my trip which is 6/18-6/19.

Thanks again Scorp for your help and advice. Will keep you posted on the end of trip hotel search.

I am pleased this worked out! I have to tell you I have stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle several times and it is one of my favourite hotels in Vancouver! The staff are fabulous and they may give you some chances to upgrade and you might want to ask them about this... it may be worth it to you or not, but they are NOT going to give you a bad room, no matter what!!! You will have to pay for parking, but the same is true for anything in downtown Vancouver.

This is a fabulous hotel that really cares about making their guests happy, I hope you have the same feeling!

thereuare, did you want another thread for the other two nights?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]