Priceline Hotel: 3* Seattle (Lynnwood-Edmonds) Courtyard North Lynnwood Everett

timmah
By timmah,
in

I have to take a licensing exam in Seattle, so I don't want to spend any more money on a hotel than I have to. The testing location is within a couple of miles of any spot on the priceline area, so I'll probably end up walking. I was shooting for Courtyard Marriott, or probably Holiday Inn Express. I think they have another International something or another, but it's rated highly so whatevs.

Been trying to lock down a hotel for one night, when I found out about this priceline bid thing I've been going crazy haha. One particularly interesting thing I noted, was that even though I had thoroughly researched the base rates of all the hotels in the area, on my second attempt priceline was attempting to convince me that these hotels normally go for 197 a night. Every other time, though it quotes me around 120.

Tried 45 and been slowly increasing it every day. Last attempt was 53. It's been a lot of fun ever since I found out they don't penalize you for low bids. I figure there's no loser three star hotels, and there's no way these hotels are fully booked on a random weekday.

I'll update the thread when it goes through with the final amount.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What is the nite that you're bidding for?

Also, are you familiar with re-bidding? If not, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and see if you can determine your ONE re-bid zone when bidding 3* in this area. This will help you bid twice as fast :) If you read the previous thread and are confused just post back and we'll break it down further for you.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of any help along the way.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I didn't want to put the date on here but I guess it doesn't matter. Sept. 21st, a wednesday night.

Thanks for the tip on rebids, i'll try that out tonight. I got all the time in the world though.

I did read something today about how hotels release more availability to priceline the closer it is to the date. Based on historic bids for the area, I think I'm going to go up to 60 and if I don't get anything, try again closer to the date. Best Western has a 75 dollar deal in the same area, so I'll just keep that as my worst case scenario.

Thanks for all your help!

The very first post in this Priceline - Washington (state) area contains lists of all the hotels people have reported to this site as wins. A Best Western shows up in the Seattle - Lynnwood-Evans hotel list. If you get up too high at the 3* level, you might consider bidding the 2 1/2* level?

While the boundaries aren't the same between the retail side of Priceline and this bidding side, the star levels of the hotels almost always are. A Best Western is also in the retail side for Lynnwood, along with a Holiday Inn Express and other similar places.

Romelle

I did read something today about how hotels release more availability to priceline the closer it is to the date.
This is not necessarily true... hotels give inventory to PRICELINE / HOTWIRE once they are sure they'll have excess rooms which they don't think they will likely otherwise sell themselves. So a hotel may have more clarity as to how many 'extra' rooms they will have as they get closer to the check-in date... if a hotel is only at 15% occupancy 3 months before a given date, they are more likely to give rooms to the opaque providers then if they are at 90% occupancy and only a week away from arrival (instead preferring to keep rooms themselves to sell to full rate paying walk-in customers). So in this scenario, even though the 3 months stay is further away, you would have more likelihood of success for the 'further out' date than the 'last minute' date.
Based on historic bids for the area, I think I'm going to go up to 60 and if I don't get anything, try again closer to the date.
If you need help with a biding strategy just let us know.
Best Western has a 75 dollar deal in the same area, so I'll just keep that as my worst case scenario.
If you go this route please check for and use the links in our support page, where we have links to most of the major hotel chains and online booking agencies, including the Best Western. THANKS!

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried again for 59, 62.

No dice. I'm split between waiting a month and starting again at 50, or slowly increasing until it locks a hotel so I can get it over with. At least the "bid too low" warning message went away post-50.

I am revising my limits because I suddenly realized I had figured all these prices were with tax included, but it adds 15-20 dollars to the total. Ouch.

Today bid 65, 67 (which would have been around 81 dollars total with taxes etc)

Still no acceptance. The priceline software is extremely buggy. It will flag low bids even when they are higher than previous bids, which did not cause a 'low bid' warning. Weird, huh? The median price is also just completely all over the place, even sometimes above the standard rates for the hotels.

I will bid 70 dollars on Monday, and then if that doesn't go through I think I'm going to have to wait a few weeks and try again in hopes that the hotels release more inventory, lower their standards or whatever it is they do. I've seen historic bids accepted for around 50 dollars for the area and the time of the year, so even with inflation I don't really understand why 67 wouldn't go through.

HOTWIRE has a 3* in this area for $89 and a 2.5* for $64, as well as a 2* for 44. You're probably not too far off for a 3* win - while higher than the average rates for this area, maybe there is something going on in the area or at least at multiple hotels. Price-wise, while a lower star rating, the 2.5* HOTWIRE listing at least offers breakfast.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'm not so concerned about the stars, I have scouted out the locations of all the 3 stars priceline offers in the area and not only are they on bus routes from the airport / downtown, I'll have easy access to the testing site from any of the hotels. The 2.5 stars, some of them in are odd locations. I would rather not have to rent a car.

Price isn't a dealbreaker really, I was just hoping to get a killer deal rather than an average one. I had never heard of this, so I feel like I've learned a lot through this whole process and am very appreciative of all your hard work on this website.

Generally speaking you should avoid the 'low bid' warning message as we have seen bids accepted even when the message appeared.

Are any of the HOTWIRE properties of interest or do you want to continue to bid on PRICELINE?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your bidding, searches and travel purchases.

Got an email alert from priceline saying that 3* for 50 bucks was a recent winning bid. Tried again for 45 / 55 just now for Lynnmond with the kirkland rebid for 3*.

Still not having any luck. Figured I'd get a bid in before midnight.

Probably try again next Monday. Still have plenty of time before the 22nd of September.

Will update when it goes through. As an aside the "median bid" has gone as low as 70 and as high as 228. Ridiculous.

True, but as of today I've gotten 3-4 emails spread out over last week stating that someone has been winning 3* in Pike Place for 50 dollars a night. When I checked the hotels out individually in that area they were significantly more expensive than the Lynnwood Edmonds area, so who knows what's going on.

Unless you know the exact dates of the wins you can't compare one zone to another. As well, comparing the retail rates between two different zones isn't a very meaningful since some zones/hotels discount more deeply then other zones/hotels, based upon competition. Just as an example, in some cities we routinely see discounts of 50% or more... where as in some rural areas (where there are few hotels in the zone) it can be a struggle to see much more than a 10-20% discount.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we an be of further help along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've seen the guy who got a 65 (which adds up to 81 total with taxes and fees) for one night in Lynnwood Edmonds this weekend; at the same place I've been trying to get a room at. So I'm confident eventually I'll be able to snag a 65. I am surprised though, I went up to 70 on like the 27th of August just to be done with it, and it didn't go through.

Lately I've been randomly hitting up the website every few days and bidding 55 / 65 with the Kirkland rebid option. They never take me up on it. I'm beginning to wonder if there's some kind of event going on the 22nd..but then again..it's a Wednesday night. What could possibly be going on.

There was an interesting Haggler article on the New York Times talking about how hotels bill priceline substantially less than what the consumer ends up paying. I'm guessing it's around 60%. It makes me wish I could just proposition the hotel directly and cut out the middleman, but I think that would defeat the point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/28/your-mon...-tax-dodge.html

Best of luck to all the better bidders out there.

Well that's good to know, but how do you know? How can I check what the rates are? Will the rates be lower closer to the date or will they rise? Do you happen to know the reason why rates would be higher on a random weekday in September?

Thanks so much for all your help on this.

You can find individual day rates several ways. On the hotel web sites, some place like Expedia which shows individual day rates, doing one day at a time on Hotwire, ...

As to your question about what will happen in the future, the short answer is ... it probably can't be predicted. There is more discussion on it in the FAQ area.

One technique of dealing with the unknown future is to go ahead and make a cancelable back-up reservation. Then you can keep bidding and trying to better your deal until the very last.

Romelle

Well after almost a month of not getting anywhere I decided to close this out. With the 5 dollars bonus cash for today I sat down and did the math.

My former highest bid was 70, a few times to no avail.

So today I bid 75 (+5 bonus) for a bid of 80, which is roughly 90 with tax. Rejected, they did a counteroffer for 96.

I declined and then used kirkland to rebid 85 (+5 bonus cash) for a bid of 90. It was accepted (for a total of $106 w/taxes and fees) for Courtyard Seattle North / Lynnwood Everett.

This is for Wednesday, Sept. 21.

I was a little disappointed in not getting a better deal, but 90 is better than the standard rate of 120 / 140 depending on how you book it online.

Congratulations on your success!

Thank you for sharing your win with the board. While more then you thought this would take, hope you're happy with the outcome.

Please note that you can still use your Bonus Cash along with the board's PRICELINE links as follows...

1) click the PRICELINE link on the board

2) go to the MY PROFILE >> MY REWARDS link at the top right of their home page

3) use the bonus money link in the MY REWARDS section of your profile (not a link from an email) and bid as usual

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]