IL Chicago W City Center Loop

landn
By landn,
in

Very nice hotel. It's in the Loop near the Sears Tower and in walking distance of the Quincy "L" stop (so you could travel from O'Hare or Midway for $1.75).

The theme of the hotel is dark. The lobby is dark, the hallways are dark, the staff (are they all 20 somethings?) is dressed in grey and black and the room is painted with off-white, silver/grey and brown. It may sound dismal yet the the overall effect is quite relaxing. Sort of like being in someone's moderne den. Very dark and quiet.

In fact it is one of the quietest rooms I have ever had. The hotel was sold out yet I heard very little of the other guests. And I could sleep in without hearing the maid's vacuum.

The bed was quite comfy. Soft and fluffy towels. Great soaps and lotions. The TV and VCR worked perfectly. Could not hear the frig cycling. The A/C was adjustable and quiet.

I would not hesitate to stay here again!

See pictures in RealHotelPhotos.

• 1 month later...

Some people don't take well to the W concept - a hotel that is "hip", sleek and a lot like a nightclub. Apparently, all of the Ws look different and have a unique flavor. When a family member couldn't use their non-refundable reservation, my fiancee and I found ourselves going in their place and, I must say, I was rather curious as to what the whole "W" experience would be like.

Now, before I go on, I have to note that I consider no hotel to be "perfect" - the best they can do is exceed my expectations, and the W did that in certain regards.

First, I was worried that, due to some adjustments to the reservation, we would run into trouble at the hotel front desk - that there would be some confusion over the changes. However, everything went smoothly and we were off to our rooms within moments. The lobby staff - and there are a lot of them, standing around in uniforms - were there guiding us to the elevators (they call them "lifts") and trying to help. Everyone from the front door to the room was very welcoming, respectful and helpful. Having been at a few very nice hotels in this city where the staff couldn't seem to care less that you're there - and not just to me, but to customers in general around me - this was a big plus. When I went out in the morning, I was always greeted and the door was held open for me.

Now, to the room itself, which held some plusses and minuses. The room itself was small, but not cramped for two people. This was probably the smallest room we've stayed at in the downtown area, with the room we had at the Intercontinental being the second smallest. However, we certainly weren't to the point where we felt like we were climbing over each other when moving around the room at the W. Beyond that, the dark (yet warm) colors of the room and the silly comforts (a big stuffed grape, just about the cutest teddy bear I've ever seen - and this is a guy writing that) that can be found in the room. The room also offers a DVD player for use (free), desk, hi-speed internet (not free), and - although not priced - a mini bar and accessories area (hat, snacks, kits, etc)

The best part of the room was the bed, which was similar to the Westin Heavenly Bed, although I actually preferred the W bed - it seemed a little less mushy than the Westin bed that I experienced during a stay there earlier this year. The W bed stands out as my favorite hotel bed - by a fairly decent margin.

The size of the room in general was not a surprise, really. The room cost half the $239 regular rate, so I wasn't expecting a suite. The other element is that the hotel was previously the Midland Hotel, an older establishment that dated back quite a ways. Given that, it's not a surprise that the rooms are on the small side.

The bathroom was nice, but not stunning. There was a nice-sized step-up bathtub (which I promptly nearly tripped into the first time I entered the bathroom), vanity mirror, bliss bath products and an adjustable shower which I had difficultly clamping into place so that I could stand directly under it. The bathroom was clean and a bit above average, but I wasn't bowled over by it. If this hotel had the Westin bathroom and the W rest of the room, it would be perfect.

Other little things - the room was a bit dusty in the visible areas, but the unseen areas (behind the desk, etc) were more noticably dusty. I'd guess that the room hadn't been used in a little while, but the hotel had just been jammed the day before. Other than that, the room seemed crisp and clean. We needed a wine bottle (brought some and forgot our opener), but they had one right there in the room for use. A CD player - complete with W relaxation CD - is also available in addition to the DVD/CD player under the TV. Need anything? Tap the Whatever, Whenever button on the phone. If you want DVDs or CDs for the room, the hotel has a music and movie library.

As other reviews note, the lobby does turn into something of a nightclub at night, with music playing, their "femme fatale" waitresses serving drinks and people mingling around. It's quite a sight, especially coming from the quieter room areas. The Whiskey Blue bar is located just off the main lobby area. There is also a restaurant. A pretty nice exercise area (called "Sweat") is located on the third floor. There's no pool here, but the W Lakeshore in Chicago does have one. There's also rooms available for business functions.

We don't usually order room service (given the ridiculous charges, plus the already high prices), but we ended up doing it here and although the prices were still rather high with the charges, I was astonished how good the food was. I read tons of reviews where people are disappointed by hotel room service, but the food here was A+ quality. I had an incredible chicken breast sandwhich, while my fiancee had a steakburger. Both came with a side of tuscan potatoes. Both entrees were just terrific, and room service was prompt. They also called after to check how everything was. Everything was great in that regard.

In terms of eats nearby, there is an Osco, CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens and 7-11 nearby for snacks. There's also a Sbarros Pizza within five blocks (and a Gioranos Pizza not far), and a Corner Bakery nearby. However, being in the downtown business area, there's not much for quick eats nearby on the weekend, since a lot of things are closed. There's a couple of McDonalds within a few blocks, as well. However, for a fancier meal, it's a bit of a walk. In other words, if you're here on a weekend and don't feel like walking anywhere to get a bite, be prepared to call up room service.

There is an "L" (Quincy) station right out front, so those coming to/from Midway airport will have an easy time getting the Orange Line here. The nearest Blue Line station (from O'Hare) isn't far either, but not as close as the Quincy Orange Line station. Speaking of the "L", we had a room on the other side of the building and did not experience any noise. Those on the other side of the building may encounter some "L" noise. However, we *were* facing the street, and didn't encounter any street noise, even on the 9th floor.

Overall:

Positives: Service was excellent across the board - everyone from the maid staff to the front desk were friendly and helpful. Almost everyone who I passed closely by in this hotel greeted me and everyone in general here really seemed like they were out to make a good impression. I've stayed in hotels in the city where I didn't feel like my business was appreciated, but here I felt like it was and then some.

The room, despite being small, was nicely stocked. There was even a magazine rack. Despite being a dude, I was impressed by the Bliss bath products, which smelled wonderful. Room service, despite being expensive (19% + $3.75 charge) was incredibly delicious. Transit options are nearby, and the Art Institute is not a terribly far walk East on Adams. The Sears Tower is also a block away, for those interested in going up to the skydeck. I did use the concierge service during my stay (being from Chicago), but I did watch them at work with other guests and thought they seemed quite knowledgable and helpful. Whether early in the morning or at night, there always seemed to be someone available at the concierge area. There's staff in the lobby area 24/7 - there's definitely a security presence at this hotel. If you like the products in the room, they're available in the store off the lobby. Four very fast elevators - to the point where I felt the contents of my stomach adjust when leaving one morning to hunt for snacks for the day. Last, but not least, best hotel bed I've experienced yet (and available in the catalog in the room and surprisingly, not as expensive as I'd have guessed for the mattress).

Negatives: The bathroom was nice, but it could use some sprucing up to get it more in-line with the look and feel of the rest of the "W" - it seemed a little on the ordinary side, aside from the quite nice bath products. Our room was a little dusty, as well. The room service, as mentioned, was terrific, but the charge was the highest I've seen in a Chicago hotel. This hotel is also in the middle of the downtown business district, and there's not a lot *right there*, especially on Saturday/Sunday. Some people may not go for the whole "W" vibe, but - not exactly being anything remotely like someone who would be into that kind of vibe - I felt welcomed throughout the stay. Although I usually concentrate reviews on the elements of a hotel that can be adjusted, I will note again that the room was small. Some of the higher level rooms are apparently bigger, but given the history of the building, it's understandable that some of the rooms are going to be on the small side. There's also no real "views" here - you're in the middle of the downtown area and surrounding buildings.

Additional notes: People have noted that the walls are thin in the hotel and that they've had problems with noise from neighboring rooms. We were at the end of a hallway, so this was lessened, but everything seemed quiet from the nearby rooms and when walking down the hall. There were also flowers at the end of the hall, and ice machines are located on every floor 4-20.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here for regular rate (although this is coming from someone who can't imagine ever paying over $200 for a hotel room), but it is definitely something I will look out for again on Hotwire or Priceline (although I think it's only on Hotwire).

Also posted on tripadvisor/epinions

• 4 years later...

Maybe this needs a separate thread, but I would agree with what you've all said about the W City Center. The problem however is that the W Lakeshore Drive has gone downhill BIG time. It's a whole different clientele, not as clean, service not as good, very disappointing all in all.

The walls to our room were so thin we could hear the neighbors having sex half the night. Not an enjoyable experience at this hotel. City Center is still much nicer.

• 10 months later...

Sitting in my room now as I type.

I have stayed at 5 or 6 different hotels on this trip, most reviewed elsewhere in the forum, and all have been excellent, but this room takes the prize. Great large room, giant bathroom and large plasma on the wall. No view, but that is the only criticism, as small as it is.

The decor in the lifts is weird. 3D panels on the side of the wall are creepy..lol

Good location, close to sears, railway station and Millennium Park.

A winner.

Edit: One other criticism I forgot about. Internet is $14.95 a day, wired or wireless, in the room. It is free in the lobby. I'm sorry, but in this day and age, charging for internet usage is blatant price gouging....and they managed to gouge me...lol

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]