Priceline Hotel: 4* Seattle (Downtown-Pike Place) Sheraton

mfronek
By mfronek,
in

I've been reading a lot of posts and trying the techniques others seem to have success with and am not having much luck.

I use the Priceline box in the top right, enter my dates + SEA, go to Priceline and start with just those 2 areas at $120.

I continue adding areas and increasing my bid by $3 each time, but am never winning even going up to $140.

Other people seem to win nights in SEA 4* well below that.

Is it just that I have a Friday night in there or is there some large event in SEA that weekend (besides the Soundgarden concert!)

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

For what it's worth (probably not much ;P), I've come up empty so far up to $125 for very similar dates in the same area. I don't mention this because I want help bidding (I'll start a new thread if I do); I mention this to let you know that at least someone else is having a problem snatching up a Priceline hotel for those dates. I did notice that Hotwire 4* rates were $50 high for the first two nights of my stay (7/27-7/29) than the second two (7/39-7/31). Maybe there's something Thursday night (7/28) that's taking up many of the rooms? I looked at the City of Seattle calendar of events, but I don't see anything that I'd think would require an exorbitant number of rooms. I've booked a backup already that I can cancel at least 24 hrs ahead of time, so I'll keep bidding up to the 24th.

For some people back to school starts in early August, so people may be cramming their vacations in during July. I would bid higher than $140. There may be no inventory. You could grit your teeth and try back day after day or just go large and start a bid at $150. Some of the 4 stars DT Seattle are up to $400 on Priceline, otherwise anywhere from $248-$365. Some people have luck booking last minute for sure, esp since you just want 2 nites. But if you get something for $160 it is still a killer deal.

I am posting a reply for the same reason WxGuy1 - just an FYI.

I've had similar problems booking for 2 days on 7/23 and 7/24 (I bid up to $125). No luck. I changed my date to check in on the 23rd and stay 1 night, but no luck even though I upped my bid to $140.

I searched the Seattle calendar and it seems there are a few events happening on the 23rd and I think there are at least 3 cruise ships sailing on the 24th. I therefore changed my check in date to 7/24 staying 1 night and was successful on priceline getting the Renaissance at $125. I then tried to extend my stay by 1 night - changed check in date to 23rd - and message came back nothing available. I guess the 23rd is just a busy night.

Have you checked the availability and prices through Travelocity/Expedia/Orbitz, etc? If availability is lacking and the prices are high, then maybe the dates you are looking at are just busy nights, and it may be worthwhile to just up your bid some more.

Another option for you is to possibly go to various hotel websites and look at what corp rates they are offering. I did that aftermy bid for the 24th was accepted and and found a corporate rate with the Renaissance for the 23rd which is not that much more than my Priceline bid (probably about $20/night more), so I may just book with them for that night.

mfronek,

Where and how much is your back-up?

WxGuy1,

I mention this to let you know that at least someone else is having a problem snatching up a Priceline hotel for those dates.
By starting your own thread now you'll everyone know who is looking for information for these dates :) If you've made any purchases since 2006 we hope that you'll begin to share your wins with the board so that others can benefit from the information.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If your back-up is at this Executive Hotel, this property is only 2* rated by PRICELINE... so it is much lower rated then the property you're currently bidding for. You may be able to get a 3.5* or 3* hotel for $140, which for the same money would still be an improvement in star rating vs. your back-up plans, but not sure if you prefer to hold-out for a 4* hotel for this price, but definitely something to consider, imo.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Looking at all the latest deals, they are all within 2 -3 days of check in.... I think I will still bid everyday but thinking 2 -3 days beforehand will be better... I dont have a back up hotel... we can always drive back hom et to Vancouver... if we have to.... but would like to get hotel room for the weekend if we can.... , obviously will post what we end up with.

• 2 weeks later...

After many tries every other day over the past month, I got the 4* Sheraton downtown for $155/night for 2 nights.

Not an amazing deal, but enough savings to put us in a 4* property on a weekend that seems to be giving a lot of people trouble.

I used the standard price increase with added areas method after accessing Priceline via the links in top right corner.

Now to work on a rental car....

BTW I made a new thread since my original "Help" thread from a few weeks ago got massively derailed. Hope that's ok!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]