Where to put your belongings when your in water?

ufjoe21
By ufjoe21,
in

When you're in your hotel and you decide to go down to the pool,hot tub,or beach....what do you bring with you?

just your room key?

room key and all your stuff (clothes,wallet,etc)?

room key and your wallet or ID?

we've all had it happen......your room key doesn't work and you have to go back to the front desk and have it replace....

so consider this........you're out relaxing by the pool.........just have your room key with your towel........you go back to your room and your key doesn't work....well you go down to the front desk

and they don't know if you're just somebody who found a key or what! so they say "can we please see some ID?" "oh it's in the room! :)

it's kinda nerve-racking because you're out by the water relaxing on vacation and not caring about anything and then all of a sudden you CAN'T get into your room, where you have your clothes,car keys, house keys,money credit cards,etc. and you have to prove who you really are!

sometimes I don't feel safe leaving my stuff in the room when I'm out in the water, but then again you're a big target if you have all your belongings left by the side of the pool too!

so what do you do?

please reply back asap cuz I'll be using my priceline hotel reservation later today

I know it might seem like a silly thing to ask, but really with identify theft and all that, it can be BIG trouble if you're out of town and have your stuff stolen!

:) :) :o

I don't know, my bathing suit's pocket is so small stuff would fall out of it walking, let alone spinning around in the water! but thanks!

I have a watertight plastic container especially designed for swimming that has a cord you attach around your neck. It's quite small and unobtrusive...about the size of a cigarette pack. I bought it in Puerto Rico for a couple of dollars at a K-Mart (or similar discounter), so I'm sure it's widely available. Other than that, you can safety pin the upper portion of a small ziploc bag containing your key card to the inside of your swimming trunk pocket.

This may not be helpful to you, ufjoe21, but perhaps this will be a good idea for somebody:

When I get to my destination and I want to go swimming, I save a local opaque plastic bag from whatever small purchase I have made there--the junkier the bag, the better. Into that bag I will put my key/some money/sunscreen/bug repellent/towel/water bottle/whatever. I don't carry my backpack/wallet/purse around. During the many years I have done this, I have never had the bag or its contents stolen from any pool or beach. It doesn't look like something worth stealing.

If I were using a pool/beach on the hotel property I would simply take my room key, and whatever else I might need like sunscreen, etc. I always lock valuables, like wallet, camera, etc. inside my suitcase in the room. One of the plastic type room keys would not help a thief unless he/she were to run up and down the halls, trying it in every lock... an unlikely scenario.

You can't even imagine the hassle we had when a wave knocked us over. The car keys, which had been in a bathing suit pocket were gone forever, and we were 5 miles from our hotel. Don't put important stuff in a bathing suit pocket!

JB

well I ended up just taking the room key with me and stuck it inside my shoe next to my towel

I think it's true about losing valuable things in a bathing suit, but I have heard of some people using a ziplock or a baggie or a thing around their neck but it seems to crazy

I did notice a lot of people bring all their stuff with them

but that is true that you can just go up to your room and identify your items to prove who you are

thanks for the help

It would be wise to have SOME sort of ID on you, especially if you're out alone. If there is a medical emergency (it's so easy to choke on some water, or slip and hit your head) they will need to know who you are, and whom to contact. An ID bracelet, or laminated ID card in your swimsuit would be a good idea.

Do NOT take your only official ID, however, because if lost you will NEVER get on your airplane home. If you lose your room key, it's no big deal-the hotel will let you in, so long as you can produce a photo ID the moment you enter the room.

I disagree with most people here. I take as little as possible with me to the pool. "As little as possible" includes clothing, ie, just a bathing suit, a T-shirt and footwear.

If I lose my key or it doesn't work, I can just tell the front desk my name and room number. How would someon stealing my card know my name... or on the off chance he knows my name how would he know my room number if it's just a card key... or on the even more unlikely chance he knows both he's probably an acquaintance of mine, and how then would he plan on stealing my stuff without getting tracked down? If the hotel is still suspicious, I can list some of the belongings in my room (like a specific brand of camera, etc) before I'm let in.

If I fall and get knocked unconscious, my unclaimed card key will be lying around somewhere, and the hotel can pretty easily match it to me. Barring that, lots of pool/fitness areas are controlled by card keys in the first place, so they can see who goes in and out. Furthermore, emergency rooms in the US by law cannot refuse treatment to anyone in need.

But if carry my ID around it's far worse for THAT to get lost or stolen with negative consequences. And when I go to a pool I usually don't plan on buying anything, so I leave the wallet in the room too. In short, the risks inherent to having an ID on you far outweigh the risks of not having one.

Speedo makes Mens bathing trunks with a waterproof pouch that is tethered to an inner pocket just for this purpose.......yes, the same Speedo that makes the swim suit that is favored by certain zaftig tourists at the Jersey Shore; always good for a few laughs...:)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]