NY NYC Millenium UN MTE

hawkeyegal
By hawkeyegal,
in

I'm sorry this is so late but...We stayed at the Millenium UN PLaza (MTE) (4*) on a bid won through Priceline $110/night (5/24 and 25). It was very clean; great friendly and helpful staff (even with the obnoxious, rude customer in front of us, they kept a very pleasant attitude :) Our room was large enough; decor modern-not my favorite but we weren't in the room much. For us it was conveniently located, about 4 blocks from Grand Central Station; a bit more to the theater district, but we are serious walkers so it was fine. I would stay there again.

• 8 months later...

I have just returned from a two night stay - March 05 and 06 of 2004 at $100 per night on a PL bid. Having seen some mildly negative reviews on TOBB, I was a bit concerned but my fears were unnjustified. The closet was a bit date and needed a fresh coat of paint and the bathroom ceiling had a spot or two of flaking paint but the room was really nice. Modern decor and a large room by NYC standards. The desk clerk was very friendly and gave me a room on the top - 38th floor facing uptown with an unobstructed view of 1st Avenue, the Manhattan Bridge, the Triborough etc. It's a bit out of the way - about a 7 to 10 minute walk to GCT but really a nice property. It is just a trifle dated but my room was certainly 3.5* quality and worth the price. I think it is a stretch to call it 4* but I'd stay here again.

• 1 year later...

Feel free to file this under "TMI" (too much information)...

So after getting the Millenium UN I checked out the reviews at www.tripadvisor.com and got spooked by a bad review. I checked in early (11am) with some trepidation, however I used thereuare's brilliant advice and said it was my anniversary (sort of true, in 3 weeks) and miraculously got upgraded to one of the nicest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in anywhere! Room 3527 - a corner room with an amazing view of the city. I was thrilled, as was the wife who arrived later in the day!

We've been to NYC a few times and had a brilliant time - Yankees game, The Producers, nice meals at Balthazar, Gotham Bar & Grill (the $25 Prix Fixe lunch is hard to beat), Haru (sushi near Times Square) and Salude (Italian near Grand Central Station). One day I walked 100 blocks (from 14th up to 74th and then back down to 34th) just soaking in the city. Did not use the amenities (such as the pool) at the hotel since we were out and about most of the time. I don't know about other rooms or about renovations perhaps going on in another tower? of the Millenium UN hotel, but like I said it was a wonderful experience for us.

(In the sprit of full disclosure a few very minor 'cons' of the hotel were - tub did not drain quickly (was fixed the next day), window washers at 7:30am, house-cleaning knocking on adjoining rooms at 8:15am, I noticed a long line to check-in at 6pm with only 2 people working behind the desk).

It was sort of nice to be outside the hustle and bustle of Times Square as well - yet only about a 10-15 min walk away. Bring your walking shoes, go to the MOMA, The Met and don't shy away from bidding in this region of NYC on Hotwire.

P.S. The nearest Starbucks is on 3rd between 44th and 43rd - 2 blocks away.

:)

• 2 years later...

Rather dated hotel, the lobby brings you back 30 or 40 years with all the mirrors and lights. That being said the hotel has two towers, the decent one and one that was renovated when the lobby was built. Being a PL customer I got the latter, on the 40th floor of the old tower which was very dated in addition had an old bed that I found quite uncomfortable. I complained twice and finally got moved to the renovated tower which is nice. I actually originally asked for a renovated room which they wanted to charge me $60/night extra for which I rejected. Besides that great view from anywhere in the hotel, and close to Grand Central.

• 2 years later...

Just got back from a three night stay here and I don't think I would choose to stay here again.

The good things: large room, amazing view from the 33rd floor (the rooms of the hotel don't actually start until the 28th floor), nice modern decor, and the price 135/night.

The bad things: dated lobby, somewhat rude desk staff (Do they treat all PL guests this way?), hotel is a bit of a hike to the train compared to what I'm used to, standard definition programming on the TV looked awful on such a nice large flatscreen, and not a lot of stuff to do in close proximity.

I think I would spend the extra money and try for a 4* hotel next time and hope the service and upkeep of the hotel were significantly better. I would also stay away from Midtown since we spent so much time in SoHo and Brooklyn anyway.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]