Priceline Hotel: 3 1/2 or 3* in Portland, ME

slolar
By slolar,
in

Trying to get a hotel in Portland, ME for two nights over Thanksgiving. So far no luck! I'm surprised because 2 years ago I got the Clarion (3*) for $39! Times are changin' I guess.

The published rate (non-refundable) for 3 1/2* (Marriott Sable Oaks) is $109. I have bid up to $83/night with no luck. With taxes and such, was only a total savings of $47. (Maybe, I'm just used to so much MORE savings!)

For 3* it looks like the Clarion is available on Hotwire for $80/night. I have bid up to $76/night with no luck.

I have plenty of time, so guess I'll wait a bit and try again in a few weeks.

Sara

It may also be too early for hotels to offer very deep discounts 4 1/2 months before the stay... although historically this is a very slow time for hotels.

While $39 may not be in the cards... i also wouldn't chase this one too high too quickly. Unless you know of something happening over these dates in the area, I'd probably limit by 3.5* bidding to ~$65 at this point and perhaps ~$50/$55 for a 3*.

If you need help with a more specific bidding strategy feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck with your future bidding. Keep us updated and let us know of we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update. As always, thanks for your help. I've been bidding every 2-3 days with no luck. I always use the PRICELINE link. I've even had 3 bids with +$6 bonus bucks from Priceline. One time I even increased my over all bid a few dollars with no luck. I figure I have another month or two until start bidding higher or just (*GASP*) pay for a standard hotel room.

Does anyone have any insight why no deal so far? I travel to Maine often, and this lack of PL deal is unusual.

I still don't think rates are that high for these dates... it sill may be early, unless there is some big Thanksgiving Parade/event in the area for which hotels are holding out hope that they will begin to fill rooms.

I'd book a full refundable cancelable back-up and continue to be a bit patient with this one.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]