Car Rental Newbie

scsagh
By scsagh,
in

I have used Priceline & Hotwire before for hotels, but never for a car rental. I am trying to figure out how much extra I should figure in for taxes and fees when I am bidding on Priceline. Are there other surprise charges with a car rental? Is there a good place to review before bidding on car rentals?

I am hoping to get a mid-size car at BOS Aug. 5, 10 am until Aug. 8, 7 pm. Hotwire is showing a car total around $325. Any suggestions for a starting bid, or what I might expect for a total charge on Priceline?

Thank you.

Good afternoon. :)

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Kansas City Hotwire thread (post what you decided for your stay within that thread, then reply to this thread.)

During check-out for bidding on a rental on PRICELINE, the total w/taxes and fees is shown before you make a purchase/finalize your bid.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi, I updated my Kansas City thread, and checked priceline through the link. Currently they are offering a direct booking for a midsize car through Avis for my dates and times at $298. The high is through Dollar for $467. Any suggestions as to what amount might be a reasonable bid? I also have a priceline bonus cash reward for $3 per day on a car rental. Thanks!

In some cities rental companies have trouble getting cars back to the airport so often they will allow a city commenced rental to have an airport drop-off at no additional charge, but you can't bid it this way, and i don't know how common this is in Boston, so this can't be guaranteed. Since you mention that Downtown pick-up is convenient, is it worth $100 to you to be able to drop your car off at the airport?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In my husband's opinion, airport is the only option. Guess that's the route we'll try for. Any bidding suggestions? Hopefully I'll remember to use the rewards $$.

Editing: I just got an email from Priceline saying today only they will add $4/day to car rental bids. Can I do that and still use the link from this website? How? Guess I really need bidding suggestions soon!

You can still use your Bonus Cash along with the board's PRICELINE links as follows...

1) click the PRICELINE link on the board

2) go to the MY PROFILE >> MY REWARDS link at the top right of their home page

3) use the bonus money link in the MY REWARDS section of your profile (not a link from an email) and bid as usual

HOTWIRE is not showing any 'opaque' inventory from the airport for this rental period and rates start at $56/day ($315 all-in)... what is your maximum bid for this rental?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Based on what I'm seeing for prices, I'd really like to keep it in the $200-$250 max total. Of course, like everyone, I'd always like to keep it lower. Is $28/day too low to start with Priceline's $4 bonus on top of that?

Thank you for telling me how to do both the link and the bonus $.

You said that the bonus money was for 'today only' so you can certainly try $32 ($28+$4) but given the tight availability i don't think it will be enough... and possibly waste the one shot at the $4 bonus money. If the $4 is only good for today, do you have a separate $3 bonus link i think you mentioned earlier? If so, i wouldn't worry too much about the difference in value and start at $28+4 today, then tomorrow you can try $32+$3, etc, etc until you reach your maximum bid... or your husband sees how expensive it's getting and that renting from Downtown will save $100 :)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck.

Well, here is what I did...

First I booked a refundable Avis intermediate car using the PRICELINE link for $51/day totaling $298.

Then I went back onto Priceline using the supplied link used $4 bonus reward + bid of $28 = $32 (had to try for standard cuz of bonus) Result = Too Low

Next I went back onto Priceline using the supplied link used $3 bonus reward + bid of $28 = $31 for intermediate Result = Suggest bidding $57-$60

Um...that would be a NO, I already have a refundable booking on Priceline for less.

Today...

Rechecked my Hertz AAA. Special now to pick-up DT Boston (about 1 mile from hotel) and return to BOS Airport. Cost for intermediate with all fees $178.79!

Now my husband shouldn't complain since on return he doesn't have to drive DT and then get back to the airport.

Thanks for all of your help! I'm glad to have learned how to use the rewards $ with the PRICELINE link. I'm sure it will come in handy on other trips.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]