Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC - Bidding Help Please

ezed
By ezed,
in

It's been a while since I have used this great resource for PL bidding and certainly appreciate this service..

So I'm comfortable with the process but would like current help/advice for our 7-nite stay in Sept (19 in and checkout on 26); 1 room for 2 senior adults.

We're looking for 4* room in any one of 8 areas; CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MSG, MTE, MTW, and TSQ.

Our top price is $250.

We're OK with splitting stay with 2 hotels; 3 and 4 nites (or 4/3 or ?/?) in different hotels.

We haven't yet got a backup plan. Haven't found any acceptable hotels with rates below $400. A lot of hotels reply "not avail." for some of our dates

Question; is it too early to start bidding ?

Would appreciate any/all ideas on this, and a bidding plan.

Will start any PL bidding thru this website.

It's not too early to bid, and although at the moment i think $250 may be tough for a 4* hotel, i would probably use a $200 or so limit for the time being. You may (likely) need to increase to $250+, or lower your star rating, or SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID... but with 10+ weeks to go i'd start with $200, at least for the first round of bidding.

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

NOTE: there are currently no 4* hotels offered in the MSG zone so we have omitted this zone from the bidding below.

Select 4* MTE, MTW, ESB, TSQ...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, Chelsea, HK, ...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, MTW, ESB, TSQ...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, Chelsea, HK, ...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, Chelsea, ESB, TSQ...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, MTW, HK, ...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* MTE, MTW, HK, TSQ...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, ...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS, Chelsea, ESB, HK, MTE, MTW, and TSQ...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained..
I would like to confirm the re-bid zones as: Brklyn, ConeyI, LI City, MSG, and Queensb.
No... note that you have FIVE re-bid zones. Please check your re-bid zones as per Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and if you're unable to determine the FIVE you have post back and we'll break it down further for you.
Also, I assume that I would start with all 7-nights ?
I would, at least to start... i assume you'd like all the nites at one hotel if possible? At the moment, i don't see any major advantage to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID... even for the least expensive nites of your stay, $200 is probably a bit of a stretch, at current prices.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Re; the "Re-bid" zones. Re-Bid zones are the areas that DO NOT have the 4* hotels. I messed up with my previous reply. So the 5 (current) re-bid zones are; ConeyIs, LI City, MSG, Queensb, and UES. I hope I got that right.

Also, I guess I should be prepared for counteroffers? Has that been happening lately for 4* in NYC ?

Many thanks for your help.

Yes, you know have your re-bid zones correct... but always double check just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed.

Counter-offers are a bit random and if you do receive one it's a sign that you're probably getting close... but if you don't receive one it's not necessarily a sign that you're still far away.

I've been bidding for 1 room for 4 nights mid sept week before your trip 4* TS, MTE, MTW and have gone up to 175 unsuccessfully.

I may have to readjust my expectations or * level....

are the 3.5* levels in those regions pretty good and close to the subways?

I did check all the re-bid zones and went thru the bid list as you laid out on 4 July; 28 bids in all (total of about 75-min. time). For all the starts, I used the PRICELINE link on the board. All went well but I did not get an acceptance. No counter-offers either.

So I'm open to my next move as you might suggest.

Thanks again for your great help

For some reference, i'm guessing at the moment a 4* is likely looking ~$300.... a 3.5* ~$250-$260.

Your options amount to:

SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

wait it out and try same bids again

try again with a $250 maximum bid

lower your star rating

Which is the best option for you depends upon your budget, how you feel about changing hotels mid-stay, how quickly you want to get this stay taken care of, what type of star rating you're seeking/accustomed to, etc, etc.

What are your thoughts/preference?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board.

So, would like our 2nd-round bidding for the following: 1st 3-nites (19 thru 21 Sep) for a 3.5* with top of $250.

To confirm, you haven't done any 3.5* bidding yet? If this is the case, why do all three (lower your star rating, increase your bid, and split your stay) all at the same time? I think a better strategy (unless you have some other game plan or idea why you're bidding as you are) would be to:

- bid for your complete stay for a 4* up to $250 (if you prefer a 4* and are willing to pay more for it vs. a 3.5* property)

-bid for your complete stay for a 3.5* up to $250 (if your goal is the least expensive 3.5* or better rather than paying a bit more for a 4*)

-if splitting the bid, why try for these 3 nites first... why not try for all 7 nites first, if that is rejected try for 6 nites, if that is rejected try for 5 nites, etc, etc. You would want to get as many nites as possible completed on the first purchase in hopes of making your second purchase a bit easier (by having fewer nites on your second purchase)

Let us know your thoughts regarding our comments above and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board for your bidding, it's appreciated :)

At the 3.5* level in the CPS the Hudson Hotel becomes a possiblity... the hotel gets decent reviews except for the notoriously small rooms (even by NYC standards)... they can start at ~150sq ft, would this be an acceptable outcome? Also to note in the MTE zone some of the 3.5* properties can be a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

Also, at the 3.5* level the MSG becomes an option... did you want to include this in your bidding?

Let us know the above and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Many thanks for pointing out the Hudson H.; no, those v.small rooms would not be acceptable. We like the MTE and will work around any subway distance issue. We'll include the MSQ .

So our 7 3.5* zones are Chel, ESB, HK, MSQ MTE, MTW, and TSQ.

Thanks again for your pointers above and, in advance, for your strategy.

We'll start our bids on the board PRICELINE link.

Using your FOUR re-bid zones you an try as follows:

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, MSG, TS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 3.5* Chelsea, ESB, HK...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 3.5* Chelsea, MTW, MSG, TS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, ESB, HK...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, ESB, MSG, TS...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Chelsea, MTW, HK...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, HK, TS...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Chelsea, ESB, MSG...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, HK, TS, Chelsea...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, HK, TS, ESB...

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, HK, TS, MSG...

Select 3.5* Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW...

Bid $210, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, HK...

Select 3.5* Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, TS...

Select 3.5* Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, HK...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Chelsea, ESB, MSG, MTE, MTW, TS...

Bid $215, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, HK, TS, Chelsea, ESB, MSG...

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $225, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $240

If the above is rejected we'll revise up to your $250 limit. Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Using your FOUR re-bid zones you an try as follows:

If the above is rejected we'll revise up to your $250 limit.

Did you first want to try the extra $10 to go to $250 for a 3.5* for your complete stay OR do you prefer to try to SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID first?

My suggestion:

First try the strategy above for your complete stay going up to $250. Simply increase the value of each bid by $10.

Then if that is rejected, try for split bid. You can try your approach for the following date ranges:

9/19-9/23, then if that is rejected try...

9/22-9/26

(NOTE that you can still make these bids immediately after the full date range bidding above since when you change the dates it's treated as an entirely new bid... so bidding the fill date range above up to $250 won't delay your attempt to split the bid)

HOWEVER, when splitting the bid i always suggest trying to get the greatest number of nites on yoru first purchase, which makes the second purchase a bit easier since it's for fewer nites. I would therefore try the following date ranges:

9/19-9/26

9/19-9/25

9/20-9/26

9/19-9/24

9/21-9/26

9/19-9/23

9/22-9/26

Any questions feel free to ask.

Let us know the route you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I did go thru the same set ( full-stay, 3.5* , 7-zones) as before , but with the $130-start and $250-max bids. No acceptance, and no counter offers.

I have noticed that for the early part of our stay, many hotel sites show "not available". Also, for the last-nite, Sun., the nite-rate is significantly lower. Maybe all this is relevant ?

So, I'm ready to start split-stay bidding; 9/19-23 and 9/22-26. I might raise the 9/19-23 to max of $270.

Appreciate any comments.

I'll start all bids thru the Board PRICELINE link.

Thanks

I have noticed that for the early part of our stay, many hotel sites show "not available". Also, for the last-nite, Sun., the nite-rate is significantly lower. Maybe all this is relevant ?
Sunday nites are typically the slowest nite of the week for hotels so not uncommon to see rates significantly cheaper for this nite then the rest of the week.
So, I'm ready to start split-stay bidding; 9/19-23 and 9/22-26
I still favor trying to get the most number of nites as possible for the first purchase and would start at the top of the list of date ranges i posted above and work your way down. I'm not sure why you would start at the bottom of the date range and work your way up, but if you have reason to do so, none of the bids will be rejected as duplicates as you work your way higher.
I'll start all bids thru the Board PRICELINE link.
THANKS! Good luck and let us know how you make out.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got back to bidding for our NYC stay. Was encouraged by the recent win for the 4* Barclay for 27-Sep, 5 nites, at $225.

Despite this topic title, I switched to 3.5* bids some time ago. So I just finished another 40-bid set as you originally listed, but for just 6-nites, 9/20-9/26, with a top bid of $250. I did the 6-nites (dropping our 1st nite, Monday) because I noticed that Mondays (our 9/19) were hi-priced. I started all the bidding thru BetterBidding board link. Alas, no acceptance.

So, based on today's rejection of the last 6-nites, my next bid plan is to try for 5-nites, 9/21-9/26 , with a top of $275.

Based on my rejections, I now wonder about the value of the 1st 20 bids (40 total) on your bid-list of 12-July. Do you agree that I could just do the last 20-bids on your bid-list?

I appreciate all your help and look forward to your suggestions.

So, based on today's rejection of the last 6-nites, my next bid plan is to try for 5-nites, 9/21-9/26 , with a top of $275.
Since you're increasing your bid price, why not bid the full 6nites up to $275... or are you dropping a nite so that you can bid again immediately and not wait until tomorrow?
Do you agree that I could just do the last 20-bids on your bid-list?
If a hotel (for any reason... maybe they had a large group which canceled unexpectedly) suddenly loaded low rates into the system, would you want the lower rate?? Admittedly the odds for the earlier bids are low, but it's a question of how thorough you want to be. If you do eliminate the some bids, i would start with the $165 bids.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]