Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco (SFO North-San Bruno) Holiday Inn Airport

TravelPhotographer
By TravelPhotographer,
in

Fisherman's Wharf (zone 3) and Financial District-Embarcadero (zone 2) have less homeless and panhandling than the other city zones. USE is a safer zone too.

If you're arriving via BART then FD-Embarcadero or USE would be more convenient than Fisherman's Wharf, which isn't served by BART.

A couple weeks ago the SF Chronicle ran an article about the top ten SF intersections for police calls. The #1 intersection was 6th and Mission, which is in Priceline's SOMA zone. But Nordstroms and Bloomingdales are just one block away. In SF one block can make a big difference. Even though there are rough pockets within SOMA and USW zones those rough pockets aren't where the Priceline hotels are located.

Personally I think you can feel safe at any 3* or higher in the four core downtown zones. (USE, USW, SOMA, Embarcadero), with USE and Embarcadero probably the safest.

If you want help with a bidding strategy let us know which zones you prefer and your bidding limit.

These are expensive dates and based on HOTWIRE rates I think it could take $80-110 for a 3*

Rats! Any idea why 7/15-7/17 stand out as expensive?

Is there zone between airport & downtown by BART

station in which cheaper 3* would easily overcome cost

of r.t. BART per day from that zone to downtown/Chinatown

vs. downtown 3*?

Failed bids, but ray of light:

3.5* $72 (offered $92), $74

3* $62

If $74-92 is in your budget I'd favor bidding higher for the 3.5* over staying at the airport. BARTing back and forth to the airport and waiting for the hotel shuttle will eat up a couple hours every day---time you could be doing something more interesting downtown.

I'm not sure what exactly is causing rates to be so high these dates. It's not always one specific event. Might just be a ton of people wanting to visit the same week. Maybe someone else knows.

When bidding for 3.5* in SF you have five rebid zones, so you have multiple chances to bid higher than $74 without waiting 24 hours. But maybe you're bidding up slowly on purpose, in hopes rates will come down.

Also, if you're a travel photographer you might find the 2.5* Whitcomb in Civic Center South interesting, despite the hotel's B location. They've got a terrific photography exhibit of SF history on their mezzanine level, a museum quality show, and a BART stop is outside the hotel's front door. Whitcomb would be a good value for these dates if you can win it for $65-75.

Keep us posted and good luck.

Thanks for Whitcomb tip!

Yes, am only rebidding once this far out.

Using your PRICELINE link above:

(zones near Chinatown, assuming all a safe evening walk from BART to lodging)

Civic Center South - Hayes Valley added

Financial District - Embarcadero

Soma - Moscone Center

Union Square East

Union Square West - Nob Hill

current zones 1 added,2,8,11,12

3.5* $70 (offered $90),73 failed

3* $60,63 failed

2.5* $50,53 failed

First, rates have come down since this thread started five days ago with several 4* now under $200. The 4* Clift is only $129 on Hotels.com. This looks more like an "average" summer weekend now than an expensive one.

I don't think the rate drop has any bearing on your bidding strategy, as your bids have been a little lowball even for an average weekend and it appears you're within a few dollars of a win now.

Of course it's up to you but my suggestion is try up to $75 (or whatever is your limit) for a 3.5* in just USW and USE first. Then bid to $75 for a 3* in USW and USE. If those don't work then consider the other zones and/or 2.5*.

I'd hold back on FD-Embarcadero because the 3.5* Hilton Financial is quite a hike from BART, should you win that one. Financial District area is pretty quiet on weekends anyhow.

And if you drop down to 2.5* I'd leave out SOMA zone at that level because the area near the 2.5* Pickwick Hotel can be a bit dodgy at night. 2.5* in USE, USW, and Civic Center South are viable though---just my opinion, not shared by all---with USE & USW preferred over CCS by most.

Good luck and thanks for using the PRICELINE link!

Since you didn't get a counterofffer when you dropped Embarcadero zone from your 3.5* bidding Priceline's available 3.5* was probably in Embarcadero zone. (I say "probably" because you don't get a counteroffer 100% of the time.)

These are the main options I see:

1) Bid higher than $75 for 3.5* in USE/USW.

2) Bid $70-75 for 3* in USE/USW.

3) Bid $75 for 3.5* in Embarcadero and SOMA, even though the Hilton Financial isn't very close to BART (6-7 blocks I'd say).

4) Bid to $60 for 2.5* in USE and USW, and possibly CCS.

I'm not sure if you're asking for advice or not. If it was me in your situation I'd choose Option 2 next. But you're not me. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Yes, advice helpful!

Hilton Financial Kearny St, next to Chinatown OK.

Walk from (Montgomery St BART?) OK.

bidding:

Financial District - Embarcadero (added)

Union Square East

Still no counters -- must have been other dropped zone?

All fails, have time:

3.5* $75

3* $67

2.5* $59

(there's recent report of Union Square 3.5* $75 win)

Prefer room Internet included (& even breakfast),

that is less likely with 3.5* vs. 3*/2.5*?

Free breakfast isn't likely in Downtown SF at any quality level, even 2.5*. Free internet is a maybe at the lower levels.

So far no 3.5* have been reported to the board in SOMA-Moscone zone and I can't find anything that would be a candidate

Any progress?

Based on Hotwire rates I think you're bidding too low. HOTWIRE has these:

3* USW $159

3* USE $122

3* Civic Center South $126 (looks like Whitcomb)

3* Civic Center North $138

Hotwire has nothing in Embarcadero at any quality level.

HOTWIRE often rates hotels higher than PRICELINE so some of these HW 3* are probably 2.5* on PL. I think you may need to be more in the $80-100 range, even for a PL 3*.

(only 1 rebid/day on 3* & 2.5*?)

Right. Marina-Lombard is the only rebid zone for 3*/2.5*.

If you want to bid higher in steps you can squeeze out an extra two bids per day like this:

$70/3* USE + USW

$75/3* USE + USW + Marina

If rejected close browser, reaccess PRICELINE and bid:

$70/3* Emb + SOMA

$75/3* Emb + SOMA + Marina

If rejected close browser, reaccess PRICELINE and bid:

$80/3* USE + USW + Emb + SOMA

$85/3* USE + USW + Emb + SOMA + Marina

Good luck!

About to throw in towel on downtown SF zones;

just discovered BART r.t. from Millbrae or San Bruno

stations to downtown is half vs. SFO station-downtown.

Does anyone know if SanBruno 3* & Millbrae 3-4*

all have free shuttle from SFO & if they are within

walking distances of their respective BART stations?

(looks like both are airport zones & their winning bids

would be very reasonable?)

Using your PRICELINE link above:

Financial District - Embarcadero

Soma - Moscone Center

Union Square East

(2,8,11,12)

3.5* $82x

3* $82x

2.5* $70x

(no counters)

Okay, Airport vs Downtown...

All reported 3* and higher in SFO South and SFO North (and South SF zone) have free shuttles to the airport and to the SFO BART station.

One way BART from SFO to Powell Street Downtown is $8.10. BART from San Bruno or Millbrae is less ($3.90 and $4.25 one way, respectively) because there's a surcharge for using SFO BART station....even though SFO is about the same distance from downtown as the other two stations.

The free airport shuttles take you to SFO BART station; not necessarily to Millbrae or San Bruno. Some hotel shuttles may take you to Millbrae station too, but on a Priceline bid there's no way of guaranteeing you'll win one of those hotels. And with one exception (the Staybridge Suites in San Bruno) the airport hotels aren't what most people consider walking distance from a BART station. If you stay at the airport you'll need to rely on the shuttle then and plan on---worst case---$16.20/day in BART fare.

Sometimes the San Bruno Staybridge is on Hotwire and if you buy that one you can walk to San Bruno BART. That hotel isn't displaying for your dates though.

I think a 3* in SFO North or South might cost $50-65ish on Priceline.

Personally I would try $75 for 2.5* in USE, USW, and Civic Center South before going to the airport. To my view the compromises of staying at a 2.5* downtown---even in Civic Center area---are smaller than the compromises (time, inconvenience) of shuttling back and forth to the airport every day. I might go to the airport to save $50 or $75 per day. But to save $5 or $10? Ehh.

It's a personal decision though and if you want the airport I'd start at $45 for 3* in SFO North + SFO South. Then add USE, USW, SOMA, and EMB at $48, $50, $55, $60. Finally add rebid zone Marina-Lombard at $65, or whatever is your limit.

Thanks for using the board's PRICELINE link. Good luck with your decision and your bidding.

Good to see you back, Gallus.

TravelPhotographer,

Another decent downtown option, if you can win it, is the Baldwin Hotel in USE. Priceline rates Baldwin 2* because it's a limited service hotel with no restaurant, bar, or fitness center. It's an excellent location though, a block from Union Square near the Chinatown gate, and the rooms, though basic, are comfortable and spacious.

Baldwin is $149 for your dates. You might check the reviews on TripAdvisor and if Baldwin interests you I suggest bidding $75 for a 2* in USE. $75 may sound like a lot for a 2* but for these dates I think its a good value. It's possible some other 2* could come up too, but anything in USE would be considered a safe location. I'd be leery of some 2* possibilities in USW or SOMA, but in USE 2* is okay, imo.

With your trip now two days away and no rebid zones for 2* I don't suggest lowballing. $75 is half price, a nice discount, and it would give you another shot at 2.5* via upgrade, since you've only bid to $70 for 2.5* so far.

Sorry for only listing zone #s (getting confused)

(1,2,8,11,12)

3.5* $85x

3* $85x

2.5* $80x

then USE 2* $65x

then SFO North + SFO South (6,7)

3* $50,55,60,64,66,68 win!!

Holiday Inn San Francisco International Airport

275 South Airport Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080 | 650-873-3550

Check-In: Fri, Jul 15, 2011 / After 03:00 PM

Check-Out: Sun, Jul 17, 2011 / 12:00 PM

Rooms: 1 room

Offer Price:

avg. per room, per night $68.00

Rooms: 1

Nights: 2

Room Subtotal: $136.00

Taxes & Fees: $29.36

Total Charged to Card: $165.36

Free room Internet

No free breakfast AFAICT

Looks like its 3/4 mile(?) from San Bruno BART,

maybe a public bus route along San Mateo Ave?

BART = another photo opp., so not a total negative

to not be downtown...

Thanks for all help, this was nothing like bidding

on US East Coast, especially most of FL which

has surplus of hotel rooms almost always, whew...

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you got this stay settled... maybe your previous wins have been too easy so they're trying to make sure you appreciate the deals you've been getting! :)

I'm not sure which station is the closest, but the hotel does operate a free shuttle to the BART station at the airport, if that works for your needs.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Have a great trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Glad you got it settled, TP.

No free breakfast AFAICT
No free breakfast at Holiday Inn, but IHOP's across the street and McDonald's a block or two south. And there's room service. :)
Looks like its 3/4 mile(?) from San Bruno BART,

maybe a public bus route along San Mateo Ave?

Guess what? A SamTrans bus stops almost in front of the Holiday Inn and will take you downtown for $2.00 with no transfers! It's about a 40-45 minute ride. Quicker, cheaper, and easier than BART will be from this location. The staff at Holiday Inn can tell you where to catch SamTrans 292.

SamTrans 292

Have fun in SF!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]