Hotwire Hotel: 3* Madison (West-Middleton) Hilton Garden Inn

cheapsk8
By cheapsk8,
in

I wanted the Marriott in Madison (west), which is Priceline's only 3.5* hotel on Madison's west side. Marriott wanted $145/night on their website.

1st bid: $42, Madison (west) <- rejected

2nd bid: $45, added Madison (southwest) <- rejected

3rd bid: $48 , added Madison (south) <-rejected

4th bid: $51 , added Madison (east) <- rejected

No rebid zones left. I'm surprised none of these worked, as this hotel has been booked several times before in the $42 to $51 range. Any ideas on why my bids failed? Could this be a busy weekend? Or did I bid too far out in advance?

I'll have to wait and try again later in the week. What is the minimum wait period for Priceline?

The wait time is 24 hours.

$145 is above this property's usual range; discount prices do vary (the required bid may be higher than previous wins) and there is also the chance that the hotel has no discounted inventory for these dates if they don't believe it is necessary to do so.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

The Marriott Madison West is hosting the 2011 STAR (Start Touring and Riding) Days from July 19 - 22. The motorcycle group has reserved a block of rooms here that weekend and also has rooms reserved at 8 different area hotels. Yikes!

When I called the hotel, they said that all of their lower quality rooms are reserved. What are the chances that they'll release inventory for their most expensive (King suite) rooms, maybe closer to the stay dates? Since they don't guarantee a room type, would hotels even offer via Priceline their most expensive rooms?

Since I'm travelling a few hundred miles after my stay, I'm not tied to this general area. I could try to book in another adjacent major metro area or in one of the other Madison zones.

AaronJB, do you have any recommendations?

A couple of minor area notes:

1. Devil's Lake State Park is about 45-60 minutes North of Madison and is one of the most beautiful and popular state parks in the state. If you're looking for a nature stop, really nice area.

2. The Wisconsin Dells is near Devil's Lake and is sort of like a city crossed with an amusement park. Rides, waterparks, weird sights (upside down White House, etc). Fun.

If this particular property is busy for these dates, it's unfortunately fairly unlikely that they will released discounted rooms. PRICELINE rates are for regular/non-upgraded rooms.

I don't think you need to go outside the Madison area; it would just seem to be this area that may be busy.

HOTWIRE has a 3.5* for downtown for $67 w/Shuttle, Restauant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business. I'm guessing this may be the Concourse w/a new smoke-free icon. If you click "see details" to go to the detail page, then click "see all amenities", there is a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating (4.5/5 circles shaded) on the detail page towards the bottom. That would match the rating for the Concourse.

You could try bidding starting at $47 and working up by $5's for a 3.5* in the downtown area and hopefully get a bid accepted around $52-57. The only concern with this would be likely parking cost. You could also try a lower star rating in the West zone where the Marriott is.

Let us know your thoughts.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for your thoughtful response. Unfortunately, the group I'm travelling with probably wouldn't appreciate camping! I'll be in the Madison area for an event on Saturday during the day with plans to return home in the late evening. I do have an excursion planned for Friday to help break up the travel, which is why I considered staying in another metro area.

Thanks also for the HOTWIRE link. If I can't Priceline a 3* - 3.5* in Madison (West) for less than $60, I'll consider the downtown location. It would be nice to not pay for parking!

Back at it again . . .

1st bid: $55, Madison (west) <- rejected

2nd bid: $50, added Madison (southwest) and 3* <- rejected

3rd bid: $55, added Madison (south) <-rejected

Will try Priceline again tomorrow . . .

AaronJB, do you know what the 2 Hotwire hotels are? They're both listed as Madison West and 3*. One has Middleton in the title and is priced at $66, the other is priced at $70.

I think the $66 could be the Holiday Inn and Suites or Homewood Suites.

cheapsk8,

You can't link to HOTWIRE search results as they're sesssion based, so they not only expire 30 minutes after posting, but frequently will not work from anyone elses computer.

Are you wiling to pay $66 or $70 for a HOTWIRE offer or would you first be trying PRICELINE again higher then your previously failed bids?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Both do . . .smoking in Wisconsin hotels isn't allowed by law. The $70 hotel is now up to $82. Do you have any other questions to ask? We've been dragging this one out for a few days now . . .

Rebid again:

1st try: Madison (west), 3.5*, $60 <- rejected

2nd try: added Madison (southwest), $65 <- rejected

Booked via Hotwire:

3* Madison west - Middleton (6-7 miles from center)

95% recommended

Fitness center

Pool

Biz center

Laundry

Free wifi

It turned out to be:

Hilton Garden Inn

1801 Deming Way,

Middleton, WI, 53562

(608) 831-2220

Hotel Charges:

Rate per night: $66.00

Tax recovery charges & fees: $14.68

Subtotal: $80.68

Trip total: $80.68

Thanks for your help.

Do you have any other questions to ask? We've been dragging this one out for a few days now . . .
It's sort of difficult to identify the hotels when you don't include all the amenities associated with the properties you're asking about :) (Smoke Free icon also not included in your 'win' post above)

Hope you're happy with your purchase of the Hilton Garden Inn and this hotel works well for your plans.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]