Priceline Hotel: 2* Newport (Middletown) Travelodge Middletown

smartcookie
By smartcookie,
in

Trying to win a hotel in Newport, RI for 2 nights, July 1-3 (not including July 4th). I know it's a holiday weekend and prices are relatively high ($329 regular rate at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina). Best Western The Mainstay Inn is $205, but I don't see any past wins for that hotel here.

Used this site's link and bid $90, $110, and $125 on 3.5 star on Goat Island. No luck so far.

I'll keep trying this week. Hoping they'll open up rooms closer to the arrival date. If anyone has any advice, please let me know :)

If we can't stay on Goat Island for under $150, we're fine with staying in Middletown. So hoping to get something reasonably priced there in that case.

I always the PRICELINE and [url="http://www.betterbidding.com/clicks/click.php?afsrc=1&id=33"]HOTWIRE[/url] links from this board for my purchase!

As you point out, this will likely be a tough win due to the summer season and the holiday weekend. Hopefully a hotel will be willing to discount at the last minute if their bookings fall short of expectations, but Middletown may not be such a bargain either.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of any help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've tried scoring Newport on PRICELINE every year for the 4th usually going up to $115. Always shut out.

Hotwire has a 3* for $159. Complimentary breakfast, fitness room, pool, laundry, business center and high speed internet are the amenities. Not sure which place that is.

In the past with money tight, I have just stayed in Warwick where you can get a nice property for around $50. Even after paying for parking and tolls, I can still afford a really nice meal in Newport with the savings. This year maybe I'll splurge on the HOTWIRE room, if you don't grab it first.

We're not staying Sunday night, which is why I may not be seeing that $159 rate you're seeing. We're leaving on the 3rd. I'm only seeing a 3-star for $197 on Hotwire for my dates, which are just July 1st and 2nd.

I'm going to try bidding again right now.

I always the PRICELINE and [url="http://www.betterbidding.com/clicks/click.php?afsrc=1&id=33"]HOTWIRE[/url] links from this board for my purchase!

So, I bid a few more times, up to $150 for both Goat Island and Middletown 3*+. Nothing.

Any ideas? Chance they'll open up rooms by Thursday?

Courtyard Middletown 3* regular rate is $309.

Rack rates of $300+ indicate very strong demand and likely not much inventory available. Although there is more margin for the hotel when rates go up, the percent they're willing to discount will often actually go down... since they're in a position of tight supply, they'd prefer to hold on to whatever few rooms they have left and sell them at full price to last minute customers (who are willing to pay) and walk-in customers (who have little choice or options).

Based upon current rates you're looking for a win at well under half price, and while it's possible, i don't think it's a high probability bet.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know whatever you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I ended up trying a bunch of other combinations and nothing was working. So we dropped it down to 2* and bid $120. Got the Travelodge Middletown, which I was thinking we may get since Priceline's regular website is running a promotion for $157 per night for those dates. There is free breakfast, Internet, and parking. It's a 10 minute drive to the waterfront, so we're happy with this. Won't be spending much time in the room anyway. Reviews are 7.1/10 on Priceline's website and seem good and basic. I called and had no problems requesting a room in the main building (which reviewers say are much nicer) and with 2 beds.

Used this site's PRICELINE links to bid.

Thanks everyone.

Congratulations on your success!

While not what you originally were seeking, glad to see this will still work out well for your needs, and the free breakfast, internet and parking will go easy on your budget.

Thank you for using the PRICELINE links on the board and sharing your win, helping us add this property to the Priceline Hotel List.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]