Priceline Hotel: 4* Orange County (Newport-Huntington Beach) Hyatt Newport Beach

DaphneDescends
By DaphneDescends,
in

Hello,

I just won the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach in Orange County, CA.

I bid on a 4* hotel and received it for $60.

I was happy until I went on other websites (Expedia, trip advisor) etc. and saw that it was rated at 3.5* and that it seemed to have not very good reviews (apparently they have "priceline" rooms =/)

I called priceline about this and they were VERY unhelpful. They basically said that's their star rating and their sticking to it. I asked why they couldn't honor a basic industry standard, considering they're part of that industry (online hotel booking.) I also said I understand that I can't pick what hotel I get, but I thought at least I could pick the star rating and the general area! Isn't that the whole point? The CS person basically told him that I was S.O.L. and hung up on me. :)

Do I have any other options???? :)

I don't think anyone can help you change their mind about the star rating but there are other options you may have.

As long as your stay is not for the same day, you can request a refund by saying that you made a mistake either in the date or the area and they may be more willing to help you.

Ive personally been able to get a refund of my room applied to my next stay for a mistake that Ive made. I wouldnt count on this as a guarantee, but as knowledge that the Priceline personnel can help you more than they are saying.

If you are not willing to stay at that property though, is there a better area you would like to stay at that they can help you with? If so, mention this to see if they can assist. Most likely though, you will be just asked to rebid and apply your refund to your next stay.

Hope this helps.

I just wanted to reply to this thread as my husband and I have frequently won Priceline bids for the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach and I'm not sure where all these bad reviews are coming from. I've stayed here for our Anniversary and it was VERY nice! They took very good care of us and even gave us a nice room since it was our Anniversary. The pool was gorgeous, the room was nice. No, it may be a 1/2 star lower - but for $60 - WOW! I've never gotten it 'that' low before. We usually ended up getting $100 a night. But, I think a couple of years ago it was pricing higher. I'm showing Memorial Day Weekend at $144/night - so still a steal for $60 a night! Also - little unknown fact - their Sunday Brunch is one of 'the' best in Orange County! Best Brunch of my life! A little steep at I believe $45-$50 a person, but with unlimited french press coffee, mimosas and/or champagne - we did all 3 - it's a-mazing! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised just how nice this property is. We've always had an amazing stay here. :)

I agree with you that this is an unimpressive Hyatt.

When you check in ask for a map of the hotel and see where they want to put you. Make sure you ask for something facing the back bay as those views are MUCH better than the normal "priceline" room you may receive without asking. You need to ask though. I once checked in here and they put me on the ground floor (I think the hotel only has a 2 or 3 floors) facing some putting green / Jamborree road. This was a very unimpressive room. The pool near the parking lot was also very motel 6 ish but the one in the back of the hotel is much nicer. Also - you can park behind the hotel using street parking for free and the walk is the same as if you did self-park (they dont advertise this!).

Newport is fun though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have stayed there many times, but never won a bid that low. I thought it was always worth the money (70-100$), though. It has a hacienda-type feel to it. Lots of lush vegetation. Like you probably saw online, a bit of an older property. I would rate it a 3 1/2 as well. Still worth the money, but I would have loved to get the Huntington beach one instead. Unfortunately for us, PRICELINE changed the bidding map of that area so we now have a hard time getting the Huntington Hyatt. You can still get that property for 125-ish through HOTWIRE, but it isn't as great a deal as it used to be through PRICELINE.

I have stayed there many times... Unfortunately for us, PRICELINE changed the bidding map of that area so we now have a hard time getting the Huntington Hyatt. You can still get that property for 125-ish through HOTWIRE, but it isn't as great a deal as it used to be through PRICELINE.

It sounds like you bid/win this area often... please begin to share your wins with the board so that the information can best help others.

THANKS!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Ive won the Hyatt in Newport Beach so many times I cant remember! Its one of our favorite places for a quick cheap weekend get away! have never paid more then $100 a night and have won in the range of $60-80 most weekends! Hotel is nice but yes there is a big difference in room and locations, but they have almost always been willing to move us, since we are a family of 4 and almost always want to be close to the Nice pool which is over near the golf course. Resort has a ton to do shuffleboard, ping pong, you can rent bikes, the bay is a quick walk on the backside of the property where there is a water park in the summer. Balboa island is a quick bike ride or walk! Crystal Cove one of the best beaches in California is 5-10 min car ride away! you can beat this place, Im actually contemplating bidding for a night tomorrow, since we go to Crystal Cove Cottages often this is a great place to stay the night before you check in so you can get to the beach early! Also food on site always been good, they have remodeled so place feels newer and hipper! Cant go wrong!

Must say I hate how PRICELINE switched the zone as well since I like to win the Hyatt in HB as well, but yes the only real way to get that is now through HOTWIRE!! and anything around $120 is a great deal for that place!!!

hope that helps any questions let me know, I owe this zone on PCLN lol

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]