Hotwire Hotel: Help for Cozumel

lakeswmr
By lakeswmr,
in

I have read all the Hotwire hints here and they don't seem to help for Cozumel. I am trying to identify the two all-inclusive hotels listed as beachfront. One has a spa which should help but the only spa I have seen listed is for the Grand Cozumel which has more stars than Hotwire on other sites. Using the "packages" strategy does not work for Cozumel. Any hints?

Thanks for responding. Here are the details for Cozumel.

The dates I want are Dec. 4-11, 2005 (or Dec. 3-10 will work too, but prices listed higher).

Here are the three all-inclusives that came up for the 4-11th.

4* $159 Resort, Food and Beverages Included, A la Carte Dining Options, Water Sports/Ocean Activities Included, Evening Entertainment Included, Daily Activities Included, Pool(s), Spa Services; Fitness Center, children's Activities, Restaurant, Complementary Breakfast.

3 1/2 * $134 Resort, Beachfront, Food and Beverages Included, Water Sports/Ocean Activities Included, Evening Entertainment Included, Daily Activities Included, Pool(s), Spa Services;Fitness Center, children's Activities, Restaurant.

3 * $145 Resort, Beachfront, Food and Beverages Included, A la Carte Dining Options, Water Sports/Ocean Activities Included, Evening Entertainment Included, Daily Activities Included, Pool(s).Fitness Center, Children's Activity Program, Tennis Nearby, Golf Nearby, Restaurant, Copmplementary Breakfast.

Best guesses is that the 4* is the Grand Cozumel, the 3* is the El Cozumeleno Beach Resort.

On the 3.5* i think you may be missing an amenity or two... please double check at HOTWIRE and let us know.

If you booking something please report back and also use this HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The 3.5 star in Cozumel included Beachfront, Food and Beverages Included, Water Sports/Ocean Activities Included, Evening Entertainment Included, Daily Activities Included, Pool(s), Spa Services;Fitness Center, Children's Activities, Restaurant. Price was $134 per night, double. The last three amenities were listed in the box and the rest on the main Hotwire page. I did not miss any amenities on my first post. I was wondering if this was the Melia or Allegro which, if so, might make it the best deal of the bunch.

Does anyone have a suggestion of which hotel, if booked through Hotwire, would be the best food and rooms? I am new to HOTWIRE but have used Priceline many times. They do not do all-inclusives.

REVIEWS of Each:

Grand Cozumel

El Cozumemleno

My own thoughts... whenever possible i try to stick to the higher rated hotels. All reviews should be taken with the knowlege that everyone's tastes are different... what one persons says was a "great time" can be another person's "it was too crowded".

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We originally booked a Cozumel hotel through Hotwire for April 2005. The hotel ended up being the Park Royal Hotel which was scheduled to undergo rennovations in May. The Park Royal' s ammenities were: Resort, Beachfront, Food & Beverage included, Pools, Children's Activities, Fitness Center, Tennis Nearby. The cost was $134 per night. Hotwire emailed me four days before our trip and told us that the Hotel had closed early and they would put us up in another hotel or give us a refund.

The substitute hotel that Hotwire offered was the Reef Club Cozumel Beach and Dive Resort - All Inclusive

3.5 star with the following ammenities:

Resort

Near Beach

Beachfront

Food and Beverages Included

A la Carte Dining Options

Pool(s)

Fitness Center

Spa Services

Tennis Nearby

Restaurant(s)

Based upon some of the reviews that I read for the Reef Club Cozumel we opted for a refund and then searched for a new hotel. A new search led us to booking again on Hotwire at the 3.5 star Allegro Cozumel and the hotel had the following ammenities:

Resort

Beachfront

Food & Beverage Included

A La Carte Dinning Options

Water Sports/Ocean Activities

Evening Entertainment

Daily Activities

Pool(s).

The price for the room was $226.00 per night (two people) and we took advantage of Hotwire's Double the Difference Guarantee. I found this same Hotel on Orbitz for $160 per night. Using the Double the Difference "Bonus" our room actually cost us $94.00 per night, what a deal!!!

The Allegro is a real nice resort with immaculate grounds, comfortable rooms, a range of food options and a NICE beach.

I started this thread and would be happy to snag the Allegro. Still looking for the identity of the 3.5 Mystery Resort listed above. Your Allegro amenities do not have a Spa and the Mystery one does. I am wondering if the 3* listed above at $145 is actually the Allegro as the amenities match?

• 2 months later...

I was planning to bid for a trip to Cozumel in December. As of early this week the Grand Cozumel by Occidental- 4* all inclusive, identified by the amenities by this board, has disappeared from the listings. Is it customary that the resort will return eventually? I wanted to wait a month or so before booking due to the non-refundable nature of the deal.

The price for the 4* All Inclusive was $156. It has not been replaced. The only 4* left is a non-inclusive which should be the Presidente. The 3 1/2 * AI is still there (you did not know which one it was, so I called it the Mystery Resort on my posts) and the 3* AI, identified as the Cozumeleno. This one has dropped in price from $133 to $113 since I have been watching it. The 3 1/2 has stayed in the $140 range. My plan was to book 5 days at the Grand (south end of the island) and 3 days at the Cozumeleno (north end). Both of these have good reviews.

If it has not been replaced then it is indicative that they have pulled their inventory (or sold what was currently allotted)... not sure what you can read into it.

However, if you're not ready to book for another month than it's a moot point... see what's available when you're ready to book.

I was reading Trip Advisor and found out what happened to the Occidental Grand in Cozumel and apparently all the hotels south of the Fiesta Americana and El Presidente. They were all hit by Hurricane Emily and are closed. They are expecting closures until November or December. Now I know why Hotwire took them off their website. Good move on their part because with so many hotels damaged, the reopening dates will be unknown. Guess we will stay in the north part of the island.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm new to the board, but I was just researching the same thing for a trip I'm looking to take in October 05.

I agree with first poster in that I think your 4* is the Grand Occidental, your 3* the El Coz and I believe your mystery motel is the Melia. I charted out all of the ammentites today and crossed referenced them by hotel with the ones on the package site and the Melia meets them all. Also, I found out the Allegro is closed for the moment because of Hurricane Emily. The Grand was closed, but has re-opened as of July 30, confirmed via phone today with Occidental. So, I think that's probably why the Grand was off when you were looking a few weeks ago, but back on today.

Here's my question - what's the risk of booking one room now and trying to book another room in a couple of weeks and getting the same hotel??

• 1 year later...

I have been asked to comment on my actions regarding Cozumel in 2005 as most of the questions on this thread were mine. We ended up booking the Fiesta Americana in Cozumel as it had the best snorkeling by the hotel. However, we did not go because Hurricane Wilma hit both Cancun and Cozumel and closed them down. We booked a few days at the Dreams in Cancun using HOTWIRE and this board. Hotwire was very respopnsive and returned our money right away. Maybe 2008 will be the year we try this trip again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]