Priceline Hotel: Downtown Newport 7/2 - 7/5

sag1125
By sag1125,
in

This is a summer destination so high-season is memorial day thru labor day, the fact that it is July 4th weekend will probably just make things that much tougher. What is your maximum bid for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (please click this PRICELINE link before replying)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

High rates such as this are indicative of strong demand and many hotels may feel that they can sell most rooms on their own and not offer much of a discount to the opaque suppliers (or any inventory at all).

How much of a discount would you need vs. the rates above to make an opaque purcahse worthwhile?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We have booked Newport through PRICELINE several times over the past 5 years for July 4. You need to wait until closer to the date and you can likely get a good deal. We actually have stayed at the Hyatt most years and never paid more than $150. They will not open up their inventory until much closer to the date though. Generally we book a backup hotel that we can cancel because we will go regardless and then just try PRICELINE starting a week or two before.

We will be doing the same thing this summer. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Are you still hoping for a $130/nite win or have you increased your budget?

Are you able to understand (and know how to double check just before bidding) how the other two zones in this region are re-bid zones at the 3.5* level?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.... and please click this PRICELINE link before replying.

Thanks.

I just wanted to point out to people who may not be familiar with the Newport area, that the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites is now being awarded as a 3.5 star hotel in the Goat Island - Newport and Newport Beach area. Previously I had only ever seen the Marriott, the Viking and the Hyatt in this star / area combination. The location of the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites is not convenient if you are looking for a hotel in walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants in Newport. Also, the quality of this hotel is far below the other three hotels. Because of this addition we decided not to bid on Priceline this year for fear of "winning" this hotel.

We ended up booking the Hyatt directly on their site. They are running a stay 3 nights, get the 3rd night free promotion so our room rate (before taxes, etc.) ends up being approx. $275 / night.

I just wanted to point out to people who may not be familiar with the Newport area, that the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites is now being awarded as a 3.5 star hotel in the Goat Island - Newport and Newport Beach area. Previously I had only ever seen the Marriott, the Viking and the Hyatt in this star / area combination. The location of the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites is not convenient if you are looking for a hotel in walking distance to all of the shops and restaurants in Newport. Also, the quality of this hotel is far below the other three hotels. Because of this addition we decided not to bid on Priceline this year for fear of "winning" this hotel.

We ended up booking the Hyatt directly on their site. They are running a stay 3 nights, get the 3rd night free promotion so our room rate (before taxes, etc.) ends up being approx. $275 / night.

Hi Becky,

That hotel is coming up in the Middletown area when I look -- not Goat Island. They only show three hotels with 3.5 stars on Goat Island -- the others you mentioned...

I think I get it -- is it just that I need to bid with combinations that have no results except for the one I really want?

From what you say above, I'm not sure whether or not you understand free-rebidding?? The idea is to first place a bid using the zone you actually want, then place higher bids while adding zones that DO NOT carry the star level you are bidding (or any higher star level).

Maybe you could post back the bidding pattern you plan to next use, and somebody could double check it for you.

Romelle

Hi Becky,

That hotel is coming up in the Middletown area when I look -- not Goat Island. They only show three hotels with 3.5 stars on Goat Island -- the others you mentioned...

Who is "they"? Betterbidding.com has a list of hotels won by other bidders. Here is the list for Goat Island - Newport and Newport Beach area:

Newport (Goat Island)

3.5* Hotel Viking

3.5* Hyatt Regency REVIEW

3.5* Newport Beach Hotel and Suites

3.5* Newport Marriott

3* Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina

The Newport Beach Hotel and Suites is not located on Goat Island or in downtown Newport. It is probably technically located in Middletown but it is in the area covered by this Priceline bid area and bidders have received this hotel when bidding on a 3.5 star hotel in the Goat Island area on Priceline. The name your own price zones do not match the regular Priceline.com areas. I just wanted to share that information because if I received this hotel after bidding for a 3.5 star hotel in the Goat Island area, I would be disappointed.

I think I get it -- is it just that I need to bid with combinations that have no results except for the one I really want?

sag1125,

Let's try to break this down for you, start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter Newport, RI and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Okay, here we go:

Goat Island - Newport & Newport Beach 3.5 star

Middletown 3 star

South Kingston 3 star

So, would my strategy be to first bid what I want:

Goat Island, 3.5 stars

then increase bid and add Middletown (but leave stars alone)

increase bid again and add S. Kingston (but leave stars alone)

?

Yes, it appears you have your re-bidding correct... but always double check the zones just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

• 7 months later...

Yes, it appears you have your re-bidding correct... but always double check the zones just before bidding to make sure that nothing has changed since you last checked.

Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a hotel within this range and didn't make a trip. Thanks for all your help!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]