Hotwire Hotel: 3* San Francisco (Embarcadero) Harbor Court

roma1625
By roma1625,
in

About what do I need to bid to get a 4 star hotel on these dates? Also, I'm a noob about PL, but I understand that the only way to ensure I get a hotel with a fitness center is to opt for 4 stars. Are there any other strategies for getting a fitness center, because I would actually be OK with a 3 star as long as it has a fitness center?

Thanks for any help on my first post on this forum!

No, I'm trying for around $100 a night. I'm starting to realize that maybe that's not realistic for SF, especially for a 4 star. That's why I'm willing to settle for a 3 star, but with a fitness center. Also, one thing that makes me uncomfortable is the fact that I'm sure I'm going to end up paying for amenities like wireless and parking. Not knowing what the hotel is, and therefore not being able to ask what those things cost is the downside of PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, I suppose.

If a fitness center is a must have (vs a want) then PRICELINE isn't going to be an option... is there a 3* showing on HOTWIRE within your budget?

I'm sure I'm going to end up paying for amenities like wireless and parking. Not knowing what the hotel is, and therefore not being able to ask what those things cost is the downside of PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, I suppose.
True, but fortunately the savings almost always more then compensate for this. You can also calculate as follows:

find the best deal you're able and determine the cost for parking. Then figure the highest cost for parking in the area (~$45??) and from this deduct the cost for parking at the hotel you found the best deal at (so let's assume parking at the hotel you find is $25/nite... you'd then determine this difference to be $20). Then do the same for internet... let's say the hotel you found offers free internet, and the cost of internet at a high rated hotel is $15... so the total is $35 ($20parking + $15internet). You now need to improve the deal of your best room rate by $35 to improve upon the deal you have.

Hopefully you followed the math, but it's actually a little less 'fuzzy' since with HOTWIRE you can take a guess as to the property you're being offered by the amenities associated with the hotel offered, and assuming you guess correctly, determine the costs beforehand.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

No, I'm trying for around $100 a night. I'm starting to realize that maybe that's not realistic for SF, especially for a 4 star

Some nights $100 for 4* is realistic. It all depends on your dates. For your dates I don't think $100 will be enough.

Hotwire has these:

4* USW-Nob Hill $219

4* Embarcadero $218

4* USE $248

Priceline usually beats Hotwire on rate, but not by 50%. Bidding is free so there's no harm in trying $100 for 4* on Priceline first. Then if rejected you can go for 3.5* and/or 3*. I think a 3* in the $70-100 range looks very possible for these dates.

I'm sure I'm going to end up paying for amenities like wireless and parking. Not knowing what the hotel is, and therefore not being able to ask what those things cost is the downside of PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, I suppose.

Even though you can't predict exact parking and internet costs in advance there are some "average" rates that most hotels in downtown SF charge, and there's not much deviation from the norms. Whichever hotel you win internet will probably be around $9-15/night and parking around $35-50/night, with less expensive parking a block or two from the hotel, like $20's.

It's harder to project total costs in other cities and zones where some hotels charge for parking and internet and others don't. In downtown SF just plan on EVERY hotel charging; then be pleasantly surprised if you win one with freebies. 3* tend to charge less for the "extras" than 4*.

As far as the gym, you can't guarantee that on Priceline, at 4* or 3* level. But there are many fitness centers in Downtown SF and most hotels without one will have a "day pass" or discount arrangement with one of the nearby gyms, or with a nearby affiliated hotel. If you can save $100 using Priceline but have to pay $10 extra to use a gym a block away, it's still an overall good deal.

Well, I've bid up to $120 for a 4 star on PL, to no avail. I may keep bidding up to about $140. In general, do prices start going down the closer you get to the date? Should I keep trying $120 or is that beating my head against the wall? I really don't know the strategy. Is bidding each night separately something to consider? Is it possible that just one of the nights is the problem with what I'm bidding?

In general, do prices start going down the closer you get to the date?
There is no general answer to this, but for more info, see the related 'Bid Early or Late' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.
Should I keep trying $120 or is that beating my head against the wall?
As per above, no telling if rates will drop, stay the same... or go even higher. If you're willing to bid higher, you can slowly raise your starting bid, increasing the same dollar increments, which would gradually raise your maximum bid. Are you using a bidding strategy along with re-bid zones?
Is bidding each night separately something to consider? Is it possible that just one of the nights is the problem with what I'm bidding?
Are you willing to change hotels during your stay? Splitting your bid is discussed in more detail in this SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID thread.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, that thread answered my basic question about how PL works. There is no averaging involved. For example, if 3 of the nights would be $100, but the fourth night would be $130, they will reject a 4-night bid of $120, correct? I may try 2 nights + 2 nights bidding. Changing hotels once during our 4 day stay wouldn't be the end of the world. Changing 3 times would be killer.

Just bid $130 with no luck. I think I'll go up to $150 and, if that doesn't work, I'll start trying splitting 2 + 2 or 3 + 1.

There is no averaging involved.

Actually, since that thread was written PRICELINE now does average for most (not all) properties and locations.

Are you bidding the 4* level and USE, USW and Fishermans Wharf? (as there are no 4* hotels in the Fishtermans Wharf zone)

Actually, since that thread was written PRICELINE now does average for most (not all) properties and locations.

Are you bidding the 4* level and USE, USW and Fishermans Wharf? (as there are no 4* hotels in the Fishtermans Wharf zone)

I have bid $130 for a 4 star for USE, USW, FW, and Financial District. No luck. I was unaware that there were no 4 stars at FW.

I have bid $130 for a 4 star for USE, USW, FW, and Financial District. No luck. I was unaware that there were no 4 stars at FW.

On Hotwire, there's a 3.5 star in the Embarcadero area, 85% Hotwire, 3.5 out of 5 tripadvisor. Has a fitness center, restaurant, laundry, business center. $142 per night for 5/20 - 5/24. Any idea what hotel this is?

On Hotwire, there's a 3.5 star in the Embarcadero area, 85% Hotwire, 3.5 out of 5 tripadvisor. Has a fitness center, restaurant, laundry, business center. $142 per night for 5/20 - 5/24. Any idea what hotel this is?

Another one on Hotwire: 3 star, 90% Hotwire, 4.5 tripadvisor. $128 per night. Has fitness center. Embarcadero area.

Boutique Hotel

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

High-Speed Internet Access

For the 3.5* Embarcadero I see a Highspeed icon in addtion to the four icons you posted and with five icons the hotel matches previous reports for the Club Quarters, so that would be my best guess.

The 3* Embarcadero looks like a match for the Harbor Court (which gets really good reviews, better than the 3.5* option).

Since Priceline doesn't offer 4* bidding in Fisherman's Wharf you really didn't do any bidding there. If you want to try for a 3.5* in FW (the highest offered) you might win that at lower levels than you've already bid for a 4* in other zones. Someone can give strategy if interested.

Please use this HOTWIRE link if you purchase one of the Embarcadero options.

Harbor Court's best rate for your dates is $239, so the Hotwire rate is $111 discount per day--slightly offset by Hotwire's transaction fee---roughly $5/day on a four day purchase. Seems like a good deal for this highly rated Kimpton hotel.

ID's are never 100% certain, but I feel fairly confident in this one.

Harbor Court does NOT have a fitness center in the hotel. You have access (for $10/day) to the Embarcadero YMCA, right next door to the Harbor Court. I imagine it's a better gym than most hotel fitness centers, if you're willing to walk next door.

If you go for it please use these HOTWIRE link and let us know what you get.

Harbor Court's best rate for your dates is $239, so the Hotwire rate is $111 discount per day--slightly offset by Hotwire's transaction fee---roughly $5/day on a four day purchase. Seems like a good deal for this highly rated Kimpton hotel.

ID's are never 100% certain, but I feel fairly confident in this one.

Harbor Court does NOT have a fitness center in the hotel. You have access (for $10/day) to the Embarcadero YMCA, right next door to the Harbor Court. I imagine it's a better gym than most hotel fitness centers, if you're willing to walk next door.

If you go for it please use these HOTWIRE link and let us know what you get.

I waited too long. HW deal is gone. On another thread, someone mentioned that the Harbor Court is the only 3 star in the Embarcadero area. If that is true, I can try PL. I just want to be sure because I wouldn't want to get stuck with another 3 star hotel on PL.

I'm still seeing the Harbor Court on Hotwire, but the rate has jumped from $128 to $160--in less than an hour.

:) :)

Harbor Court's the only 3* that's been reported to the board. There's always a possibility that some new 3* hotel will come up and you're the first to report it. Not likely, but possible. Or a hotel that used to be 3.5* or 2.5* gets downgraded/upgraded.

Your 3* Priceline bid could also be upgraded to 3.5*, and I think there's a fair chance of that happening.

I'm still seeing the Harbor Court on Hotwire, but the rate has jumped from $128 to $160--in less than an hour.

:) :)

Harbor Court's the only 3* that's been reported to the board. There's always a possibility that some new 3* hotel will come up and you're the first to report it. Not likely, but possible. Or a hotel that used to be 3.5* or 2.5* gets downgraded/upgraded.

Your 3* Priceline bid could also be upgraded to 3.5*, and I think there's a fair chance of that happening.

I guess I'll keep trying on PL while keeping an eye on HW just in case. 4 stars in USE, USW, and Embarcadero up to about $150. 3 stars Embarcadero until I get to about $140. I think I'm going to avoid FW for now.

If you're willing to split your bid you can still get Harbor Court for 5/22-5/24 for $136 on HOTWIRE. Then get something else for 5/20-5/22.

I'm starting to wonder what the heck is going on. I can do separate nights (5/20/11 - $100, 5/21/11 - $103, last 2 nights - $140), but if I try all 4 nights together, I get nothing. Could it be different hotels?

I'm starting to wonder what the heck is going on. I can do separate nights (5/20/11 - $100, 5/21/11 - $103, last 2 nights - $140), but if I try all 4 nights together, I get nothing. Could it be different hotels?

This has become ridiculous. I find a deal for certain days, I immediately try to book and it says it's no longer available. I do a new search and it shows the same deal that they just said wasn't available anymore. Are glitches like this common on HW?

No, I wouldn't say glitches like this are common on Hotwire, but they do happen from time to time.

It's possible Hotwire sold out their last rooms on the deal you were pursuing before you finished executing your transaction.

I'm not too swift with the technical side of computers but I've heard if you "clear your cache" that might solve the problem too. Hotwire may be storing an old deal on your computer that's no longer available and clearing your cache might make it go away. If you don't know how can you start over on a different computer?

I've been looking at various date combos within your stay and for for some date combos I'm getting a 3* in Embarcadero that does NOT look like Harbor Court. Different icons, different TripAdvisor rating. It's a 3* that's so far unidentifed.

But I still get Harbor Court for $160 when searching all four days together, 5/20-5/24. I don't have a theory why you don't see anything available when searching the same dates.

My suggestion is 1) clear cache if able 2) find another computer if you can't 3) purchase any Harbor Court dates you can find at an acceptable price now.

If anyone else has ideas please chime in!

The prices were jumping around depending on the days I was plugging in, but I finally booked it 5/20 - 5/23 (3 nights) for $136/night. And it is the Harbor Court, as you said. The fourth night is now listed at $173, but between the higher rate and $40 for parking, I may opt for a hotel at the airport the last night. Anyway, I have time to decide on that. Thanks for your help, I used your HOTWIRE link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]