Priceline Hotel: Strikeout - 4* San Diego (Downtown)

iivxiv
By iivxiv,
in

The Comic show draws a big crowd and rates for hotels usally gets high. So you should try to close your stay early.

Have you looked at your flight so you can get a ticket within your budget for diffrent dates?

What would your max budget/night be before tax/fee for a 4* hotel?

And please let us know what zone(s) you're willing to stay in.

Yellowdog.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Maybe I'll try a hotel in Tijuana?

Since you're coming for Comic-Con staying in Tijuana might not be a joke. Comic-Con is one of the biggest events of the year in San Diego. In past years there have been few if any Priceline wins during Comic-Con. You might have to pay $100 for a 2* hotel twenty miles away. Comic-Con sends rates up all over San Diego county, which isn't true for most other large conventions.

Hotwire is a good barometer of what might be available on Priceline, and Hotwire doesn't have a single hotel in ANY of their three Downtown zones. Nothing. Priceline may not have anything either, no matter how high you bid.

Here's what Hotwire has in the next closest areas to Downtown:

2* SeaWorld-Mission Bay $107 (with a low 45% approval rating)

2* Old Town $169

2* Shelter Island-Point Loma $176

2* Mission Valley-Hotel Circle $134 (with 40% approval)

Hotwire has a few hotels under $100 but they're far from the covention center in areas where tourists don't usually stay, like San Ysidro and El Cajon.

The best thing I see for $100 or less is a 2* in National City-Chula Vista North for $100. Complimentary Breakfast, Pool, Restaurant, Highspeed Internet. I don't know what it is but it has an 85% approval rating, so it's probably not a total dive. Probably something like a Days Inn or Travelodge.

Otherwise Motel 6 Carlsbad is $79.99. That's about 30-35 miles from Comic-Con but at least Carlsbad is a nice safe area. The Motel 6's nearer to downtown are either sold out or cost more.

You've bid up to $115 for 4* Downtown. You could try bidding to $115 for 3.5* Downtown, then 3*, then 2.5*, but I don't think you'll probably get anything.

Sorry to be so negative. Your thoughts?

I don't know, man. I know the hotels sell out early and the ones that don't are sky high until they do. Tijuana has seriously been brought up, I'm not entirely behind it but it might be the best option. If we can get back and forth to the convention center reliably, maybe it will be worth it, they have $50-90 hotels with ok reviews. Next year I might book hotel rooms early and just grab a few extra and see if I can broker them to people at the last minute, ha ha.

I'd just love to be close to the convention center, we'll be working the show so we need to be there every day and get there early. I'm really open to anything, I've tried booking fewer days hoping we'll be able to crash with someone else on the days we can't get, I've tried every star level at $100+, I've also tried areas outside of Downtown that I've seen on the Comic-Con website have shuttle service.

I'm thinking it might be time to bite the bullet and just reserve a hotel through the convention website.

WHOA!! Please don't book a hotel in Tijuana!! I was kinda sorta kidding. On a bad day it can take over an hour to get through the border crossing and you won't want to deal with that while you're working the convention, I'm pretty sure. A 2* in Chula Vista would be better than Tijuana if it comes to that. Motel 6 Carlsbad would be better than Tijuana.

But hopefully we can still find you something better and/or closer in.

I've tried every star level at $100+, I've also tried areas outside of Downtown that I've seen on the Comic-Con website have shuttle service.

In what zones (by name) have you bid to $100, and at what quality levels?

What's the best price you see on the Comic-Con website for a hotel that still has availability?

What is your bidding limit?

My suggestion is to focus on 7/20-7/24 first. Comic-Con starts 7/21 but you don't want to switch hotels on the first day of convention. If you want to stay additional days before or after the convention they'll be easier and less expensive. Deal with those separately and later.

After talking to my partner, I think we have a new plan. He's going to be in San Diego a few days longer than I am, so we are going to try to rent an apartment for the time we're there. We can probably rent a 2-bedroom apartment for the entire month of July if we have to, split it with somebody, and we'll have parking and everything for much less than what we would have if we were staying in a hotel. Just looking at Craigslist real quick, we could probably get a single bedroom for the entire month of July near the college for $500 or less. I was about to spend $1,000+ on a hotel.

To answer some of your questions, I was looking in Hotel Circle because most of those hotels have shuttle service on the Con's website. I figured even if we had to walk 2 or 3 blocks to another hotel that had a shuttle, it wouldn't be too big of a deal. But I'm thinking renting a room or an apartment would probably be the best thing.

Thanks!!

If you can spend all July in San Diego better yet. There's plenty to do. Be careful about renting apartments on Craigslist that you havent seen. Better if you can wait until you get there and look yourself.

If you end up going the hotel route for Comic-Con Hotels.com has the Ramada Inn and Conference Center in Kearney Mesa for $135.20 on 7/21/-7/24. It's not downtown, its north of Mission Valley, but still a lot closer to downtown than the other places we talked about, in a suburban type area. Reviews are decent for a Ramada. It looks like a reasonable price and location for these extra busy days, with breakfast and parking included.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]