Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House

OHGiantsman
By OHGiantsman,
in

New to the site so still figuring things out. Read a few previous post and wonder where you think this might be... Dates Apr 29th - May 1st.

Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville area Hotel (0.5 - 1.5 mi from city center)

Recommended in 95% of Hotwire customer reviews

4-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville

This hotel features the following amenities:

Smoke Free Rooms

Guest rooms at this hotel are always smoke-free.

Fitness Center

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Restaurant(s)

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary. Business Center

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

<amenity names only please... not descriptions> High-Speed Internet Access

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Spa Services

Guests have access to a spa facility or spa services; an extra charge typically applies.

currently $86 per night

was listed Apr 8th for $77 per night

Any ideas on better options appreciated as for 2 year wedding anniversary. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

My guess for this listing would be the Hyatt Chicago. The Hyatt Chicago is a fine property, but it is the largest property in the city and my recommendation for it is primarily when it is the lowest priced property due to the amount of rooms that the hotel is trying to fill. Given the size of the property, it is best for those looking to be in a central location, but who will not be in the room much and who don't need more personalized service. It's not a bad hotel, but I wouldn't call it romantic - it's really more of a business-oriented property.

Regular rates are unfortunately on the high side for these dates and HOTWIRE options are on the limited side - the other primary option would be a 4* in the NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast area on HOTWIRE for $104 (the price you see may vary) w/fitness, business, restaurant, internet, spa and pool. My guess for this listing would be the W Lakeshore. If this is the W, the W chain is not going to be everyone's cup-of-tea (love it or hate it), understandably - it depends on what you are looking for.

What would be your desired budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Budget is under $100 per night if possible but flexible. Figure parking adds another $40 per. Don't plan tons of time in room but want comfortable. Would like to be close to Navy Pier, tours and restaurant area. So was picturing Streeterville area to be able to walk Downtown and shop. Like the idea of older buildings or boutique properties but price is probably a more important factor. Have seen people on here like the Hyatt Regency but I haven't seen any deals for it. Thanks.

If you are going to be primarily focused on being out and about and don't need hotel services as well, the possible HOTWIRE Hyatt would be the most reasonable HOTWIRE option. If this is the Hyatt, the hotel is showing at $259 regular rate for 4/29-5/1 on Expedia.

The Hyatt is right by the river; Millennium Park and the Art Institute are a few blocks South, while the Michigan Ave. shopping area is just over the other side of the river and a couple blocks further North. There is a wide variety of restaurants in the River North area, which is fairly short (probably 5-15 min walk, depending on where in the RN neighborhood). As for parking, unfortunately parking at the Hyatt and most hotels downtown is $45-55. I'd suggest parking either at Navy Pier or the Millennium Park lots. Both of those city lots are - I believe - $25 + tax per night.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi again. Still working on my trip to Chicago 4/29- 5/1.

Any ideas on

Chicago Loop- Millenium Park- Grant Park area hotel $93

Super Savings

4 star

Recommended in 90% of Hotwire customer reviews

Fitness Center

Pool

restaurant

business center

hi speed internet access

or

Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville area Hotel $103

Super Savings

4 star

Recommended in 95% of Hotwire customer reviews

Bed Choice

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

restaurant

business center

laundry facilities

hi speed internet access

spa

Once again, thank you in advance. Any ideas if one area is better to stay in than another? There for sightseeing, restaurants, navy pier, milennium park for a 2 year anniversary. Also thinking of trying Priceline bidding but have never done so a bit nervous. Does Hotwire have bidding? I have seen people on here say they have won a bid on Hotwire

HOTWIRE offers users a series of fixed price listings (although the price itself may vary throughout the day slightly, you are presented with a fixed price when searching) that offer amenities, star rating, zone and other information. There is no bidding on HOTWIRE, as bidding is purely via PRICELINE. With PRICELINE, you have to be willing to accept any property the service may give you - if you bid for a 4* in the River North-NMA area, for example, you have to be willing to accept possibly any of the 4* properties in that particular zone.

The Mag Mile 4* would likely be the Hyatt, while the 4* Loop would likely be the Palmer. The pro of the Palmer is the lobby, which is incredibly beautiful in a grand, old-world manner. The lobby: epic. The rest of the Palmer is fine, but rooms - given the age of the hotel - tend to be small.

The downside of the Loop area is that it does tend to get quieter as the evening goes on. While there is shopping and it is closer to the museums, much of it is business-oriented and when the offices let out for the day, things start to slow down, especially in some parts of the area. The area to the North of the river stays more active later into the evening.

If you would like to try bidding, please let us know and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

I think I am interested in trying bidding. Any suggestions would be great. I think I am open to both The Loop and Mag Mile but would prefer Mag Mile purely for proximity of attractions. I am however intriqued by the old world beauty of a place like The Palmer so I am torn. Cost might be my most motivating factor after realizing parking (maybe I can do Navy Pier or Mill Park, fingers crossed) But I still want decent and convienent.

Glad I found this site and again, thanks for helping me out. All is appreciated.

While the Loop is quiet at nite, it isn't bad, but the NMA zone is certainly more convenient.

I think both the Loop and NMA zones can be had within your budget of $100/nite, but the Loop may save you $10-$20/nite... so it comes down to price vs. convenience.

Maybe the above will help you quantify it a bit and help you to make a decision.

Let us know what you decide and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for elaborating. I am open to either but still would prefer NMA. I would like the hotel in the $80 range but could go up to $100 for the right place (which is spectacular in old world charm or modern facncy). It seems like some of the Loop is still convienent enough and realistically, we are probably 10Am-10PM people so I'm sure it would be fine. So as you can see, I really am just wanting the best deal so flexible. That was why I was thinking about trying bidding.

Thanks again and from my heart thereuare, GO BLUE!

$75 would probably be a realistic starting point for a 4* in the Millennium Park-Loop-Grant Park zone and $82 for a 4* in the River North-NMA area. While it may vary by day and season, I will note that parts of the Loop do get quiet before 10 (I've been in the Loop at night at times where it feels almost empty), and there are more restaurant options overall during the evening hours North of the river.

I'm now seeing a different 4* on HOTWIRE in the Mag Mile area - Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business for $111. This may be a match for the Sax or Felix. What appears to be the Hyatt (4* Mag Mile/Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Laundry, Spa) is showing for $101 when I look up 2 adults/2 children. The 4* Loop that may be the Palmer is still showing for $93 when I'm searching this evening.

OHGiantsman,

Based upon the above, do you want to pay $93 for what is believed to be the Palmer House... or do you want to bid on PRICELINE for the least expensive 4* hotel in either of these two zones?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

GO BLUE!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi all. Took a chance and AaronJB's starting points and bid on Priceline with a strategy. Started at $69 but won The Palmer House @ $75 night for Apr 29th-May1st. So ended up with the same hotel I had considered but less a night. You guys were great helping me know which hotel I might get. Big props! Thanks!

I think a lot of Chicago can be seen on foot, but if you want to use public transit, there is the option of either buying visitor's passes or just buying a normal CTA transit card and refueling it as needed. I think for just walking around downtown, a transit card isn't too necessary, but is helpful in the case that you want to/need to quickly jump from one part of downtown to the other. Mostly though, downtown's really not that vast if you're in the mood to be walking. To head up to Lincoln Park, then you should use public transit as it otherwise becomes a pretty long walk.

In terms of Lincoln Park, you could take the Red Line subway from Monroe to Clark/Division and then continue North on Clark to the corner of Clark and North Ave. At that corner, you'll see the Chicago Historical Society on the NE corner. Head East on North and then go behind the Historical Society and into the park and keep walking North through the park and you'll go under a road and then further through the park and get to the Lincoln Park Zoo (which is a really nice zoo, and free.)

At the corner of North/Clark, if you head West on Clark, you'll get to Wells. The main part of the Old Town neighborhood is a couple of blocks North on Wells and about 4-5 blocks South on Wells from that point. Second City Theater is there, and I also recommend the Spice House.

I'm not such a fan of Millennium Park, but the Art Institute next to Millennium Park - which is an easy walk from the Palmer - is an absolute must.

Please let me know if you have any other city questions.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]