Hotwire Hotel: Will the prices come down if I wait?

daytrader
By daytrader,
in

Hello all,

I'm looking to travel to Seattle and stay in the Pike Place or Space Needle area. 1 room, 2 adults, the dates are 7/29/11 - 7/31/11. The prices I'm getting on Hotwire ($137 and up per night for 3 and 3.5 stars) don't look as good as some of the more recent posts to this forum (most 3.5 and 4 stars are under $100). I was wondering if that's due to the fact that I'm looking in the summer, and they're going to be high because rates are generally higher in the summer, or is it because my trip is still about 4 months away and the hotels won't drop their Hotwire and Priceline prices until closer to my dates.

Any thoughts or experiences regarding this? Do you think it's a good idea to book now, or should I wait until June or July and try again? Do the prices usually come down over time, or do they go up or just disappear as other people book them?

Thanks,

David

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

There is no way to know for sure whether or not prices will come down closer to your dates; if there is an event (convention, etc) going on or seasonal traffic comes in higher than expected (or any number of factors) then prices can stay high or head higher. While prices did dip a couple of years ago, more recently I'm seeing prices continue to trend higher, especially in some cities. What would be your desired budget per night/star rating/zone?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'm also going in July in SEA. I have a feeling that it's still too early as I bid on PRICELINE and didn't win at $ 91, even though the past calendar bids have won at that price for 4 stars @ Pike area in july. I'd also like to wait in late June to see what people are winning to see if I even want to bid. My backup plan is to stay at the doubletree by the airport- 3.5 stars and book on their website, if there are no rooms to bid and win for at a reasonable price. The monorail in SEA is very convenient so I'm not worried.

My backup plan is to stay at the doubletree by the airport- 3.5 stars and book on their website, if there are no rooms to bid and win for at a reasonable price.

Please note from our support page that we're an affiliate of the Doubletree... please check for and use the links there for your hotel direct purchases.

If you'd like help with your own stay feel free to start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]