VAT Tax Refund - UK Hotels

tomv
By tomv,
in

I am checking to see if anyone knows if the Priceline taxes can be refunded for UK hotels?

When a visitor travels to the UK, on exiting the country he can get his VAT for his hotels refunded. Is this possible using Priceline?

I don't think you are paying the taxes to Uk govt so it that case it would not be refundable. Vat would perhaps be refundable if it was collected from you from the hotel but think it is a no-starter but fair question. Anyway in Priceline you are getting a pretty good deal so I'd be happy with that. You would need more than a couple of weeks stay to get me asking to speak to a govt tax official in the UK. I would be happy with the Priceline rate and thats that.

• 8 years later...

Booking sites fall within the Tour Operators Margin Scheme (TOMS), so there are no VAT receipts available. Occasionally hotels are nice and still provide a receipt, but it wont be for the full amount, only what they received from Priceline. 90% of hotels aren't willing to do this as it reveals what was actually paid for the room by the booking company. If you want to be sure to receive a VAT receipt you need to book directly with the hotel / hotel group. As previous posters have stated, it's still unlikely you could claim this tax back for a service.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]