Priceline Hotel: Manhatton Bidding zone choice, 3*-4* 5/13-5/15/11

Ray
By Ray,
in

We will go to NYC on those dates by bus from DC and would like to stay in Manhattan to save some commute time. Back in Jan this year, we stayed at Omni Berkshire and were indeed spoiled by the convenience of the location (MTE in priceline?).

Anyways, I have $160 bonus cash to spend so I have to use PL, and the only criteria I'm having (importance by the descent order)

1. Affordable. So my range is kinda wide from 3* and above

2. Convenient to subway or even better close to some attractions (Omni is 2 blocks away from Rock center)

(could be ignored )3. Close to downtown as some of our relatives live there (close to the Chinatown), so I guess SOHO would be that region?

(could be ignored )4. Close to Penn station since I'll need to catch my return bus there at night.

I've checked the forum and also winning calendar and to be frank with you, not very encouraging. People are paying $200+ per night.....

So please recommend some reasonable zones that I should target and may be the star level.

Thanks a lot.

Including your bonus money what is your expected budget per nite before taxes and fees?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

NOTE: you can still use our PRICELINE link along with your bonus money as follows:

1) click our link to PRICELINE and let the page fully load

2) at the top of the page go to MY PROFILE >> MY REWARDS

3) use the bonus money link found in the MY REWARDS section of your profile (and not the link in any emails sent to you)

PS- please follow-up your Myrtle Beach thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay... as well as your Priceline Pigeon Forge thread if you recall what you did for that stay.

Please remember to follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing for the stay, even if you choose to book direct, cancel your trip, etc.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We did not got to Myrtle beach and Pigeon forge eventually due to change of plans.

Nobody reading your other threads will know to look here to learn that you cancelled those trips... please follow-up those threads, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your NYC trip above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, I tried bidding last night and it was outrageous. 3.5* up to $170 still all rejected in all areas except long island city and brooklyn, for 4* I went up to $190 and all rejected.

I used DT as my main target and used the 4 and 5 free rebidding zones for 3.5* and 4* respectively, starting with $100 and $150 respectively for 3.5* and 4*. Nothing happened. My wife tried MTW area too, same results.

Is it still too early for May bidding? I checked Kayak and the rack price for those 4* and 3.5* listed in PL inventory were only $200ish in DT area.

Any more quick tips? My bonus cash expires today so I gotta use it before midnight. Thanks.

BTW, since I'm looking for two days and we don't care about switching hotel for the 2nd day, would it be easier to get acceptable bids if I bid on two single days?

So did you only bid Downtown and Midtown West? Why not include all acceptable zones and let the one with the lowest acceptance price be the one to accept your bid?

Yes, you can try bidding each nite individually, i would sooner try bidding more zones first since you have to place your bid tonite, then SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID if you don't mind changing properties.

I actually tried to include all zones in the end after I run out of free re-bidding zones. And the above is my result. Is this a normal price for that time in NYC (which might not be reduced much later on) or it's just not the right timing?

And another question is if bidding Jersey city would be a good compromise. I checked PL's list and the 4 stars at Jersey city especially Hyatt at new port seems to be quite convenient for public transportation to Manhattan as well. No reference price for my dates though.

Thanks.

Just tried Jersey city, 3.5* and 3* up to $100 rejected, while the 4* up to $120 rejected, their own website price for the two 4 star (westin and Hyatt) are only $140ish w/o tax.

As for NYC, with all zones selected 3.5* up to $170 still rejected. Wife tried soho alone and the 4* up to $180 still rejected, while the lowest own website price for the soho 4* (hilton) is only $259.

My question is if eventually I have to pay close to own website price (with my bonus cash added on) to get a winning bid, which would be better in terms of service quality and convenience for touring, a SOHO 4* (most likely that hilton, as other place is either sold out or ridiculously expensive), or a Jersey city 4* (both westin and hyatt have relatively convenient location to public transportation). We won't drive so parking is not an issue, instead the public transportation would be our main method.

Thanks.