Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millennium-Loop-Grant Park) Blackstone Renaissance

Agoust
By Agoust,
in

May I have some bidding advice please for a downtown Chicago hotel, August 9 - 14. I'll be at the Palmer House for much of that period. If not AT the Palmer House, I'd like to be within a mile or two. A four star would be nice. I'm looking to spend no more than $125/night. Too early to get started?

Thanks in advance for the board's help.

If you look at PRICELINE map of the zone and boundaries for this region, are you willing to accept both the Loop and the NMA-River North zones, or only the Loop zone?

The Loop is where the Palmer House Hilton is located, but it gets a bit quiet at nite, whereas the NMA-River North zone has a bit more nightlife, restaurants, etc.

Let us know and we'll take a closer look at these dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you are attending an event at the Palmer that will have you there for most of the time, then staying in the Millennium-Loop-Grant Park area is fine; if you are going to be out at night, you may want to stay in the NMA area - as noted above, the Loop can be pretty quiet at night.

There's plenty of public transit and the city is pretty easily walkable, but I will note that the Palmer is fairly central in the Millennium zone, and you could end up at one of the borders of the zone - the primary example of that would be the Blackstone Renaissance, which is at the South border of the zone. While not terrible, that would be a good 10-15 minute trek to the Palmer.

These dates come in-between the horribly busy Lollapalooza fest and the popular but less hotel-heavy Air/Water show. However, rates - and possibly due to being fairly far out from this period - are a touch on the higher side. I think you should be able to get something within budget, but it may take some tries and I'd start off at a lower level. Let us know if the NMA area would also be acceptable and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks to the board! At $120/night I hit the Blackstone Renaissance--four star.

As suggested, I bid NMA up to $90 and closed my browser, then bid the Loop up to $90 and closed my browser. My next bid at $95 combined both NMA and the Loop, but I was immediately asked to raise by $25. I tried to low-ball, but was unsuccessful.

My dates are 8/9/11 - 8/14/11 at $120 per night. With taxes and fees that came to $706.45.

Congrats on your success. :)

First-rate deal for this very historic property, which went through an extensive renovation before opening a year or two ago. It's a bit of a trek to the Palmer, but a pretty nice, straightforward walk. I'd walk North on Michigan Ave to Congress, then a block over to Wabash and North on Wabash to Monroe. The Palmer is the giant building on the SE corner of Wabash/Monroe that takes up the whole block. On the NE corner of the building, there's a Corner Bakery, which is a nice stop for a bite to eat before going to the Palmer or a choice close by during the day. The area around the Blackstone is going to be pretty quiet at night. If you're looking for a burger, Hackney's Printers Row is a few blocks West, and if you join their email club, you get a $10 coupon (http://www.hackneys.net/) Please feel free to ask if you have any city questions.

Additionally, the Harrison Red Line stop is a couple of blocks West - you can take the Red Line a couple of stops North to Monroe and the Palmer is right there. It would also be a very quick cab ride.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks for the tips, AaronJB! Aren't there a number of interesting Greek restaurants just across the river on West Harrison?

And yes, I did use the Board's PRICELINE link.

Thank you for using the site's PRICELINE link to start your purchase. :)

Greektown is on the other side of the expressway, and there is a lot on Halsted, just to the North of Harrison/Halsted. If you head over there, I'd suggest taking a taxi rather than walking. It really shouldn't be a bad cab ride, as the ride West on Harrison from about where the Blackstone is and then up Halsted briefly should not be high-traffic.

when I look at the Priceline hotel list and integrate it into what you are saying above, the bidding would look like this, correct?

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone (Hyde Park)...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone (Midway MDW)...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone (Skokie)...

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone (Hyde Park)...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone (Midway MDW)...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone (Skokie)...

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone (Hyde Park)...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone (Midway MDW)...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone (Skokie)...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125

I didnt see Franklin Park, Lincoln Park or Midway Airport North on the hotel list.

Do I have that correct? I am looking for 2 rooms in NMA or the Loop area for 7/16-18

Thanks!

when I look at the Priceline hotel list and integrate it into what you are saying above...

As per the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List:

This list is NOT a complete list of all hotels that Priceline offers in this area, it is ONLY a compilation of hotels that have already been reported on this forum. Hotels are added/removed by Priceline all the time, and star ratings can change at ANY time. As well, the geographic boundaries of an area are subject to change, so it is always a good idea to look at the Priceline map before purchasing. DO NOT USE THIS LIST to determine what areas to add when attempting to bid again within the 24 hour window (CLICK HERE for information on how to add cities in order to bid again).

To determine your re-bid zones you want to use the link provided above, Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

Please read that link and see if you can determine your re-bid zones, if not, post back and we'll break it down further for you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]