Booking hotel with prepaid credit card

studenttraveller
By studenttraveller,
in

I'm a Canadian university student and I'm hoping to do some travelling this summer (within Canada). However, I don't have a credit card. I've looked into getting a prepaid credit card, specifically BMO's prepaid Mastercard. I've heard that some hotels don't accept prepaid credit cards, does PRICELINE? If so, are there any foreseeable issues with going that route?

My parents would let me use their credit card, but I assume there could be an issue with that because my name isn't on their card. I'd also just prefer to not have to go through them if it's avoidable.

Any and all help is appreciated.

If your prepaid credit card has a Mastercard Logo then there shouldn't be any problem using the board to book.

HOWEVER, the bigger problem is that you'll need a credit card (or cash deposit) to check into the hotel, and you'll need enough of a balance to cover whatever the hotel wants to place on 'hold' to ensure you're able to cover anything you charge to the room, incidentals, meals, etc. As well, note that you often won't have access to these funds while they're on 'hold' and it can take a few days after check-out until they're accessible again.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

That may depend on the issuing bank EVEN IF it has a Visa or MC logo on it because often its not only checking the card number but matching the zip code in the billing address and prepaid cards are oten not associated with a billing address. Here are 2 suggestions

You can get a "secured" credit card ie just like a credit card in your name with your address but you have to keep "topping it up" or you can give someone the money and get them to make the priceline res in your name - here is the info from the priceline site .. also confirms what the other poster said about securing credit at check in... although some hotels may accept a cash amount which they will refund if unused but that's a "MAY" ..

-------------------------------------------

Reservations can be purchased for someone else as long as at least one person named on the reservation is 18 years of age or older if purchasing airline tickets, or 21 for a hotel or vacation packages reservation. Rental car drivers must be at least 21 years of age (24 in some locations). Rentals for drivers aged 18 and older are available in New York only.

When submitting the request on our website, enter the names of the travelers where required. Under the billing information, enter the billing details of the person paying for the reservation. Initialing the contract page during the request process indicates that the person purchasing reservations and the traveler(s) agree with all terms and conditions.

Note that the traveler who is checking in at the hotel will require a credit card in their name to cover any incidentals and at the rental car counter to pay for the reservation and any optional services and/or equipment such as child safety seats.

Hotwire accepts PayPal for the room purchase. You'll still need a credit card, debit card, or cash for the incidentals deposit though. $150-250 deposits are common.

Most hotels will accept someone else's credit card for the deposit if you call and arrange in advance. They may request a faxed copy of your parents credit card and ID.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hotwire accepts PayPal for the room purchase. You'll still need a credit card, debit card, or cash for the incidentals deposit though. $150-250 deposits are common.

Most hotels will accept someone else's credit card for the deposit if you call and arrange in advance. They may request a faxed copy of your parents credit card and ID.

I know this is an old post, but is the policy still the same?

I am in a situation where I don't have a credit card, but, I have a debit card and I need to book a hotel room. I can get a relative to book the room for me, but, I am having a bit of a problem with the policy of having to have the credit card and an ID matching the card upon check-in.

What are my options?

As per the text you quoted above, you can:

1) see if the hotel will accept somebody else's credit card via telephone to use as a security deposit

2) see how much the hotel will need for a cash deposit

3) see how much of a hold per nite they would put on a debit card (likely same amount as cash deposit), but keep in mind you won't have access to these funds until a few days after your check-out (and the hold could be a few hundred dollars per nite)

This is fairly standard at most hotels, although the amount of the hold/deposit can differ.

If you'd like to move forward please start a NEW TOPIC in the appropriate state category on the board (or use the "Can't Find What You're Looking For? Where to post??" series of drop down menus at the top of the board to point you in the right direction)... and please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links before posting.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 months later...

Worth adding:

If you're in the OP's situation where family would be willing to let you use their card (but your name would have to match) and they trust you, they can order an Authorized User card on their account under your name. You'd receive a card with your name on it, and it would bill their account. They are responsible for paying back so you make sure to stay in their good graces by paying them back promptly and otherwise only using it for emergencies. Myself I'm a working adult and no longer a student, but I keep an AU card on my Dad's account for emergencies and large medical expenses.

Also if you're a CDN student... I realize the credit crunch reduced banks' exuberance to lend to young students, but it's my understanding that credit card companies still troll university campuses to get students signing up, and banks & credit unions still have products targeted to students. If you can promise yourself you will not use the card to spend money you don't actually have, get one with a modest limit and build your credit history.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]