Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Toronto (North York-Vaughan) Days Inn Airport East

sandybeaches
By sandybeaches,
in

I booked a hotel in Toronto based on it's 95% recommendation by hotwire customers. It was in the location and had the amenities I was looking for. When I learned the name of the hotel, I went to other sites, ie trip advisor, hotels.ca, Expedia, etc and discovered that it was nowhere near a 95% recommendation rating. The closest was www.Hotels.com with only a 64% recommendation rating. I checked all of these sites and the reviews varied from 46% to 64%. Some of the reviews were awful - bed bugs, scabies, unsafe, dirty, bad location, etc etc. As a result, I attempted to get a refund from Hotwire, which was immediately refused. (This was a non-refundable purchase.)

I called the hotel and advised I was cancelling the reservation, and they told me to call Hotwire. I explained that I was calling as a courtesy so they could rent out the room if required and not hold it for me. I have also filed a dispute with my credit card company. Am I crazy or is this not a misrepresentation and a solid reason to get a refund? I would not have booked it had the reviews been accurate.

Thanks so much, all advice is appreciated!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

From Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Thanks! :)

As per above, if you'd like our thoughts, please first share the details of your win... star rating, city, zone, hotel, room rater per nite, dates of your stay and amenities shown before your purchase. You can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and helping us add this property to the Hotwire Hotel List.

How far in advance did you book this and at what point did you call HOTWIRE with your concerns?

Usually HOTWIRE's stance is that you at least need to 'give it a try' and show up at the hotel, then if you have an issue that you can't resolve to call them and see if they can work it out with the property. While i understand this isn't how most people want to start a trip, it's understandable, especially given how many times we hear on the board "i'm nervous after reading the reviews" and then hear back that the hotel was fine and the user had a great stay.

While i see the reviews of this property are 'love it our hate it' imagine the following scenario:

A hotel charges $200/nite when users book direct, but discounts deeply for purchases thru the opaque providers and only charges $50/nite... assuming the hotel is nothing special but acceptable, could you see how 'regular' retail purchasers paying $200 might have very negative reviews whereas those only paying $50/nite would think the hotel was a good bargain and willing to stay again? I'm not saying that this is the scenario here, but just that it's one example where a hotel could have somewhat negative reviews by most customers but a very high recommendation by HOTWIRE (and other discounted rate) customers.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for your reply - and,yes, I do understand what you are saying. Unfortunately, I had booked this for my daughter and a friend and was totally uncomfortable sending them there to check it out due to what I read. I didn't want to have them in a position where they had to move and deal with booking somewhere else, etc. I telephoned Hotwire immediately the same day after booking the hotel, learning the name and reading the various negative reviews. I was told that it was Hotwire's customers that had rated the hotel that way and that they were not concerned with outside reviews.

Since my complaint, Hotwire has now changed the recommendation rating to 50% which is more in line with the other travel website reviewers. Unfortunately, at the time I booked it was 95% which is why I originally made the decision to choose this hotel. Not sure what to do at this point?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]