Priceline Hotel: 4* Toronto (Downtown South)- Memorial Day Frustration!!!

Joshdent
By Joshdent,
in

Looking to get a 4* hotel in Downtown Toronto South (preferred) or North for 5/26/11-5/30/11. I was very encouraged by the previous winning bids in Toronto both recently and at the same time I'm interested in the year before, and by the number of rebids you could do to really maximize your opportunities for bidding in Toronto. Unfortunately, rebidding even up to $110 has gotten me nothing! I don't know if I've ever seen a bid higher than $110 in the archives for Toronto. I'm really surprised. I checked the Tourism Bureau Calendar of Events, the convention calendars for the area, even the local university graduation schedules and I can't find a reason why locally the rooms should be more expensive than usual. It is a holiday weekend in the US (not in Canada) but the previous Memorial Day weekend, bids were accepted much lower. If anyone has any suggestions, or knows why this is such a hot weekend, Id love to hear it. I think that I will have to wait to try again closer to the dates.... or <sigh> settle for using Hotwire <gasp>!

you arent the only one. We've been trying for several dates and no luck ( I have another thread) We've pretty much stopped trying to bid on priceline

I tried to bid on PriceLine twice for this weekend. (see my "failed" thread) I've had great success in the past, but it was a bust this time.

There must be something going on.

Hope it's all back in order by the time I next have to visit Toronto.

Looking to get a 4* hotel in Downtown Toronto South (preferred) or North for 5/26/11-5/30/11. I was very encouraged by the previous winning bids in Toronto both recently and at the same time I'm interested in the year before, and by the number of rebids you could do to really maximize your opportunities for bidding in Toronto. Unfortunately, rebidding even up to $110 has gotten me nothing! I don't know if I've ever seen a bid higher than $110 in the archives for Toronto. I'm really surprised. I checked the Tourism Bureau Calendar of Events, the convention calendars for the area, even the local university graduation schedules and I can't find a reason why locally the rooms should be more expensive than usual. It is a holiday weekend in the US (not in Canada) but the previous Memorial Day weekend, bids were accepted much lower. If anyone has any suggestions, or knows why this is such a hot weekend, Id love to hear it. I think that I will have to wait to try again closer to the dates.... or <sigh> settle for using Hotwire <gasp>!

Unfortunately, there are occasional high traffic periods in the area. What would be your max budget per night for these dates? I actually think you're very close (the Hotwire downtown 4*'s for these dates in Toronto are not that much higher than what you've bid to - around $130ish), so if you bid up higher, I'd do so very slowly (maybe increase by $3 each time - $110, $113, $116, etc.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Aaron,

Even if you look at the biggest traffic periods, it is highly unusual for Hotwire to be the same or cheaper option than Priceline. In addition, if you check the archives, even at "premium times" such as summer holiday weekends in previous years, Christmas, etc etc, people are not paying $115 dollars a night. It just doesn't add up for me, and I don't buy that it is just a "busy period"- especially when the Hotwire rates are not especially high this weekend. I will keep trying at a low rate, hoping that closer to the dates maybe something will be available, or else I will have to go Hotwire (for the first time- yikes!). Thanks for the comments, though!

Aaron,

Even if you look at the biggest traffic periods, it is highly unusual for Hotwire to be the same or cheaper option than Priceline. In addition, if you check the archives, even at "premium times" such as summer holiday weekends in previous years, Christmas, etc etc, people are not paying $115 dollars a night. It just doesn't add up for me, and I don't buy that it is just a "busy period"- especially when the Hotwire rates are not especially high this weekend. I will keep trying at a low rate, hoping that closer to the dates maybe something will be available, or else I will have to go Hotwire (for the first time- yikes!). Thanks for the comments, though!

Well, my thought was that given that HOTWIRE prices are not terribly far above where you've bid - around $130ish for a 4*, I was surprised that your bids have not been accepted.

I didn't think that you would have to (or should) bid up to HOTWIRE prices, but given that $110 was denied and HOTWIRE's showing around $130, if you didn't want to wait, given the difference between prices, my suggestion was to proceed slowly higher (as noted above, $113, $116) to see if there was a price that would be accepted a little bit higher.

Again, given HOTWIRE prices, I'm surprised $110 wasn't accepted, but given HOTWIRE prices, I would be surprised if you're not very close to a win.

Hotels may be expecting walk-ins and aren't aggressively discounting. There does not seem to be anything big (Toronto Film Festival or the like) going on. There are the rare occasions where HOTWIRE wins out when PRICELINE produces nothing up to where HOTWIRE rates are (as noted by HappyBeaver above.)

However, if you want to wait, good luck and thank you for keeping us updated. You can keep trying up to to the ceiling of $110 for a week or two and hopefully new inventory will appear at that price point soon.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]