OH Cleveland Crowne Plaza City Centre Downtown

thesqueegeekid
By thesqueegeekid,
in

I am staying here right now and about to go down for the breakfast buffet ... I got free vouchers with my SPG-Gold card ... surprising how some hotels offer more than others on PL stays. At the Gold level, free breakfast is not even one of the perks!!!

The hotel itself quite is nice, friendly staff ... the room is amazing and recently renovated. The negatives, not enough light even with the 4 stylish lamps. The bathroom has an industrial toilet the ones you find in public bathrooms and has a mix-matched cover. The coffee maker is disgusting and unlike other hotels, they do not offer room temp. creamers (I will starting today bring some with me ... those flavored oneds you get at service stations).

The hotel has also just set up wired high-speed internet in all the rooms and it is presently free while it gets fully installed.

There is plently of free street parking on the weekends ... otherwise, they charge about $15.

The hotel is about 2 blocks from the lake but be sure to call ahead and request a high-floor water view room ... they do not seem fussy about taking reservations even for PL guests.

A funny note about this hotel .... as I was riding down on the elevator for breakfast this morning, on the 6th floor we were asked to step out as a "special guest" needed to ride down. After stepping out, there were camera crews and a mass of people around ... than Al Sharpton who is running for prez. took the elevator down with his body guards. The hotel hosted a power prayer breakfast and he was the guest speaker.

Even funnier, there were about a thousand bikers in town too ... and several dozen had parked in front of the Sheraton making a huge racket while the power breakfasters were saying goodbye.

I am now at the HGI in the Chicago suberbs!!!

Interesting - back in early 2000 I was at this same hotel and had to pass through three verification checkpoints (the first one a block away from the hotel) to gain access to the lobby. It surprised me because the checkpoints had not been there when I left that morning. Turns out that Pres. Clinton was giving a luncheon speech at the hotel (he flew in and out the same day so he did not stay as a guest).

I know that certain hotels are favored by the Secret Service because of ideal security setups etc. When I lived in LA presidents always stayed at the Century Plaza, and they always use the Waldorf Astoria in New York City.

• 2 years later...

We really loved the Crowne Plaza. I had no problems getting the room I requested. I called two days ahead of time to request a high-level, non-smoking, lake-view, king size room. I then checked in early the first day (although I was not given a key) to repeat my request. But when I went to check in at 3:00 they gave me a double bed, low floor. I asked if my request had not been received and he said "let me fix that for you" and I got a really nice room on the 20th floor (only 21 floors total, I think). The view was amazing (was there once to see the sunset and another night to see fireworks at the Browns stadium). I'm pretty sure the bed was a California king. It was set up for some package special they have - relaxation something. Anyway, I was very pleased that I had no problem getting a room I wanted even though the place was packed.

• 3 years later...

We stayed here early April, 2009 during the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Weekend. We got a great deal on Priceline for $45/night. The hotel is centrally located in Downtown Cleveland and close to major attractions. The immediate area is pretty quiet at night, but a short walk westbound on St Clair Ave is the hopping Warehouse District, and a few blocks south there is much nightlife around East 4th St. The common areas of the hotel have a "Rock and Roll" theme. The room itself was a bit larger than the average mid-priced hotel, with mostly "cherry" furniture and a large oval shaped desk. The wallcoverings, carpeting, and linens were various shades of beige and ivory. I thought it was a bit dull but my wife found it to be "elegant" and "restful." The conservative decor probably appeals to the business clientle that inhabits this property during the week. The bed had nice soft sheets and was very comfortable. We were on a high floor and had a great view of Downtown Cleveland. [Cleveland has a lot of well preserved historic buildings for you architecture buffs.]

The staff was friendly and helpful. There is parking available (around $18/day) but since it was the weekend there was ample free street parking a few blocks east of the hotel.

• 1 year later...

So the stay was better than I thought for $45 usd .. I'll post review to TripAdvisor also

+Room was decent size and clean (slightly outdated yes). 2 double beds. 27" CRT TV

+Great Lake View on the 20th floor (room 2008)

+Lobby was new and nice

+Walkable to the lake side (Rock & Roll hall of fame, science center), downtown (Public square, Tower City, The Arcade)

-Parking was in-and-out self-parking at $18/day (park till 5 pm of departure day)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]