Priceline Hotel: Thousand Oaks (Agoura Hills no more 3.5*)

ctys20
By ctys20,
in

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to the agoura hills area soon and have noticed priceline has removed all 3.5* hotels and reclassified them as 3*. I used to always get the Renaissance Agoura Hills Hotel but that is now reclassified as a 3*.

Since this change occured only one person has posted for this search area in the last several months and they won the Thousand Oaks Courtyard which is not as nice.

Are the days of getting nice hotels in this area through priceline finished? It seems like a real gamble now

Thanks,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I used to always get the Renaissance Agoura Hills Hotel... Since this change occured only one person has posted for this search area in the last several months
It would be appreciated if you began to share your wins with the board so that the information can best help others... perhaps other board members have won a hotel in this area but they haven't reported their wins to the board. :)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since Priceline made this change a few months ago (reclassified all 3.5* as 3*) I have not made a bid in the Thousand Oaks zone area. I've won hotels in other zones (LAX, downtown LA, Valencia) but the info is pretty redundant as others have posted.

Sometimes priceline works really well, for example in the Valencia area there is only ONE 3.5* hotel (the Valencia Hyatt) and that is usually very easy to get! It's pretty much a guarantee what hotel you will be getting.

Another lesser known area that has also been reclassified to only 3* is the Palmdale area. I was getting the brand new Embassy Suites up there (really nice) and then Priceline took embassy suites off and now there are only 3* which for that area includes hotels that are in unsafe areas (in general Palmdale is sketchy).

Anyhow, Expedia has a good deal on the Agoura Renaissance - buy 2 nights get the 3rd free. Last time I stayed there Expedia even threw in a $50 prepaid Mastercard which about matches the prices I would get on priceline, but it's more work for me.

I guess it is still POSSIBLE to win the nicer 3* in Westlake or Agoura but there has been a sudden halt in postings for this area..............I would bid but I dont want to get stuck at the courtyard way in Newbury Park, which will probably be filled first. IMO

Any other Priceliners out there with any info on this area???

I've won hotels in other zones (LAX, downtown LA, Valencia) but the info is pretty redundant as others have posted.
Not true... please share all your wins with the board as it gives other users an idea of how frequently some hotels in the zone are won vs. others as well as updates the last time a given hotel was received. If it wasn't necessary to post a win if it already appears on the board, we'd have only one thread for each hotel, some of which would date back to 2003... then tons of questions "has anyone won this recently" and "are they still participating with PRICELINE"
there has been a sudden halt in postings for this area...
Maybe others felt there were enough postings and the information was redundant. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The situation here is different, priceline reclassified BOTH of their 3.5* hotels to 3* in the Thousand Oaks area (The Agoura Renaissance and Westlake Hyatt). It's not the end of the world but Priceline was working like clockwork before, since the change I haven't bid in this area and I'm trying to spark some discussion on this as only one person has posted since the change last year and he won the Thousand Oaks Courtyard - not a bad hotel, just not the area I like.

Anyhow, this website has been helpful to me so I should contribute a little more.

For this week I won 3.5* Crown Plaza LAX (2-11 to 2-14) for $56

and the 3* Valencia Embassy Suites (2-14 to 2-16) for $50

I'll post these separately.

Thanks,

Another reason for the decline in win reports from Thousand Oaks is that there are no longer any free rebid zones there. When Thousand Oaks went to 3.5* there were three rebid zones. Now none.

Have you checked if Renaissance is available on HOTWIRE or Travelocity Top Secret?

I haven't used Hotwire in a long time. Anyhow, I just checked for Agoura/Westlake and their search results are provided by Hotels.com? Also the name of the hotel and price are listed (did I do something wrong? I thought hotwire was an auction?). Also arn't Hotels.com and hotwire owned by Expedia?

Just looked at Travelocity Top Secret and they seem really overpriced - a mystery 2* in Valencia (I couldn't find Thousand Oaks) is quoted at $81 per night this week........I wonder what the secret 2* is??? Motel 6 MAYBE.....LOL

Expedia.inc is the parent that owns Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, and TripAdvisor, plus some more.

Hotwire sells opaque (mystery) hotels at a discount below retail. When Hotwire has no opaque inventory in a class or zone they'll offer an undiscounted hotel at retail from their partner Hotels.com. Opaque listings are in red. Retail listing are in gray.

To see an example of an opaque listing in Thousand Oaks check Hotwire for 3/2/11. There's a 3.5* offered that appears to be Hyatt Westlake. So far the Renaissance hasn't been reported to the board as a Hotwire purchase. Renaissance is a Marriott brand and Marriott hotels don't participate in Hotwire much.

Sorry you've lost your "good thing".

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]