Priceline Hotel: Help with bidding strategy for Boston (May 21-23)

Jasmine
By Jasmine,
in

In a month I'll be visiting Boston for the first time and I'd like to stay somewhere that is easily accessible to the subways as I plan on doing a lot of sight seeing. I will be driving into the city and need a room for May 21 and 22. I'd prefer a 4* but it's not absolutely necessary. I'm flexible on the neighbourhood as long as it's not completely out of the way (i.e. by the airport). Also if possible I'd prefer not to exceed $70. Any tips on how I should go about doing this? Thanks.

Rates are high that weekend, so your max of $70 may be too low for a 4*. You can still try PL, as it won't hurt to try. Below is a sample bid. Note that Copley isn't a free rebid zone, but rates are high so it is being used as one since it meets your criteria.

This is a sample, choose rates that work for you when bidding. The ones below may be too low for the weekend you are interested in. If you want to lower your star level to a 3* start a new bid and begin from the top.

4*

Bid Downtown $55

If rejected, add Copley $60

Start a new bid Downtown + South Boston $65

Start a new bid Downtown + Medford $70

Start a new bid Downtown + Copley + South Boston $75

Start a new bid Downtown + Copley + Medford $80

Start a new bid Downtown + Copley + South Boston + Medford $85

I agree that rates are high for these dates and $70 may not be enough.

Not sure if you want to follow the strategy above from thenewbie or if you're $70 limit is firm. If you let us know your thoughts on your bidding limit (knowing that rates are already high for your dates) as well as the zones that you're willing to accept we'll add our own thoughts/strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks a lot! I never would have thought about using Copley for a "free" bid.

My true limit is about $100/night with taxes and charges included so I guess that puts my bidding limit down to about $80? A 3* is acceptable as well except I don't want to wind up at Club Quarters (so should I start a new bid for a 3* and exclude the Downtown region?). I am not opposed to any of the areas as I think all of them (except maybe Medford?) are serviced by the subway.

OK I've just been searching for availability at a bunch of hotels and most of them are booked solid that weekend (even the airport hotels and the ones outside of Boston)! I used the convention checker and nothing came up so I wonder what is going on that weekend.

I now realize beggars can't be choosers so I am willing to stay up to 30 mins outside of the city since I will have my car and can drive in each day. I will also take anything that is a 2* or up. My strategy just got more complicated I think (because of all the options now). Wish me luck.. <clicking to savings barn>

Good point about the graduations. I checked for availability through certain hotels directly if I were to split my bid and it seems there are more options for the Sunday night (May 22) so I decided to focus my bids on that. Specifically, the Amerisuites in Medford is showing quite a few rooms available for $107 (non-refundable). So this is what I've bid so far (with that hotel in mind but open to others as well):

Medford - 2.5* - $35 --> rejected

Medford + Copley - $40 --> rejected

Downtown - 2.5* - $40 --> rejected

Downtown + Medford - $48 --> rejected

Downtown + Medford + Copley - $52 --> rejected

I am debating adding the World Trade Center zone but I have no idea what hotels might be there.

The WTC zone has the Seaport Hotel (4*) but that's showing sold out for your dates. There may be others, but this one has been reported before.

After checking HOTWIRE, they have a 4* Customer Favorite in Airport zone for $112 per night. This is probably the Hyatt Harborside, which also comes up on priceline for that area. It's over your limit, but if you have the Entertainment Book you can use the coupon for a $30 rebate, bringing it down to $97/night.

Since that rate is lower than almost every other hotel in the city, you could also try to win this on PL as it's been won as low as $46/night. This hotel has a shuttle to the T or you can use a water taxi to get downtown.

marius20,

Please post the details of your win as a NEW TOPIC (also include approximately when you booked so that others won't bang their head against a wall if the priceline rate is no longer avaiable).

As you can see, the board is getting to the point where stays of different users sometimes overlap, so the information will certainly be helpful for others.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I suggest you try the Cambridge Brookline area as these areas are very very close to the city and are on the subway system. They also have a lot action at night. Medford is ugly. I live in the area. Email me if you need any info. Also, Newton, Waltham wouldn

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]