Priceline Hotel: 4* 5/10/11 - 5/14/11

ziggyp22
By ziggyp22,
in

Hi all.

I am not sure if I am posting to the correct forum(sorry if not). I understand the bidding process, but I want a 4* hotel in New York City and wondered what zones would be considered good to select for the main tourist areas? I was hoping to stay in Times Square area, but have since been told to avoid staying directly in Times Square, due to the hustle and bustle of the area. Originally, I thought MTW and CPS would be the best areas, but reading through the forum, I get the feeling that MTE is also a good area to bid on, and it is slightly cheaper. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Thanks!

Good evening. :)

Please provide a follow-up if you did decide to take the trip discussed in this prior Port Charlotte Priceline thread.

In terms of the NYC stay, I generally recommend the MTE area, which is quite nice and generally convenient (although there are a couple of hotels at the 3.5* level in the zone that are further E.) MTW and CPS are also nice areas, and I do like the ESB area. Times Square is fine to visit, but I would agree on not staying there for the above reasons - other nearby zones are generally at least a bit cheaper and the TS area is a bit too hectic.

What would be your desired budget per night?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I never did do the Port Charlotte trip in a hotel -- we actually rented a house instead.

I was unsure of a budget, but expected to get a 4* hotel in one of the above areas for approximately $145 a night(or less). There are plenty of combinations of zones when looking for a 4* hotel(5 zones with less than 4*), so I can start the bid low and up it and eventually get a good deal, I suspect. Plus, I have lots of time to book. I will use the PRICELINE links to book the hotel.

Thanks!

I never did do the Port Charlotte trip in a hotel -- we actually rented a house instead.

Nobody reading your Port Charlotte thread will know to look here to learn that you rented a house instead... please follow-up that thread; then reply to this thread and we'll comment on your NYC stay above.

Please click this PRICELINE link before replying.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level MTE, MTW, CPS, TS and ESB typically all work fine for the average user... i usually recommend including them all in a bidding strategy and letting the hotel with the lowest price be the one to accept your bid.

Note that seasonally this is an expensive time of year in NYC... which zone(s) did you decide upon and what is your expected budget?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I expected to win a hotel for about $145 a night, based on my preferred zones that include CPS, MTE, MTW, and TS. I set the hotel level to 4*, adding in five different zones that were less than 4*. The first night, I made seven bids that ranged from $85 up to $132 -- no luck, which didn't surprise me.

Night number two, I reset my hotel level to 3.5* using the same four zones, but limiting my other bidding zones to three zones. I made ten bids ranging from $85 up to $136, still no luck.

Night number three and I set the 3.5* level and same bidding zones again. I made six bids ranging from $132 to $165 -- still no luck. At the current bidding level of $165, including fees and taxes, I will pay $203 per night, which seems a little high for a room to simply sleep in....and I still haven't won a hotel yet.

Are 3* hotels worth getting in NY? If so, should I remove any of my four main zones, due to poor 3* hotels? Is there much difference in the 3* and 4* hotels?

Thanks!

Are 3* hotels worth getting in NY?
It really depends what you expect from the hotel and how much you enjoy the 'hotel experience' vs. just using it as a place to sleep.
If so, should I remove any of my four main zones, due to poor 3* hotels? Is there much difference in the 3* and 4* hotels?
At under 4* i would suggest not including MTE and CPS in your bidding... the former has some properties which are a bit out of the way, the latter has the Hudson which has notoriously small rooms... likewise i'd add MSG to the mix as it often represents very good value at the 3.5* level.

Spring is typically an expensive time in NYC... but i wouldn't necessarily rush this, there is still plenty of time between now and your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Hi ziggy,

be patient, it took me a little over 2 weeks of daily bidding to get a deal.

I think you can limit yourself to 4* only (MTW, ESB, CPS, TS) if you are prepared to bid up to the 160 USD range.

Give yourself 2 weeks, if nothing has happened by then go for 3.5*.

You are going in may so there is no need to panic. You must be disciplined in your bidding strategy!

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to be patient, bidding the odd night, over the past couple of weeks, on a 4* hotel in TS, MTE, MTW, CPS, ESB, usually up to the $170 range. I've also tried 3.5* hotels in MTW, TS, MSG, and ESB up to the $165 range, but no luck. Unless I can save a fair amount between a 3.5* and 4* hotel, I likely will just pursue the 4* hotel. With 4* bids, I expect to eventually win the Kitano Hotel in the ESB zone. I checked HOTWIRE and the Kitano Hotel is listed for my dates for $205 per night, so I expect that a win could happen with slight increases in my bidding on Priceline. I don't want to be impatient with my bidding, but do you suspect that the price could lower as the date comes closer -- or is it just as well to go ahead and bid a little higher? Besides PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, is it worth waiting for a last minute deal elsewhere? The prices for hotels in NY are slightly higher than I expected. Thanks for your help!

...do you suspect that the price could lower as the date comes closer
Unless you know how actual demand will come in relative to expected demand, there is no way to know if prices will get cheaper as you get closer to you travel dates... or go even higher.
he prices for hotels in NY are slightly higher than I expected.
Spring in NYC is 'high season' and rates are usually higher across the board.

Please remember to start your bids with the PRICELINE links on the board each time you access PRICELINE

Thank. Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks for all the help. I have another question: are there 3.5* hotels(or higher) in zones that would be substantially cheaper and are easily accessible to the subway? I was thinking that if I could save a fair bit of money per night and be near the subway, that I assume can get me to most(or all) tourist attractions in NY, then that would also be good. If so, can you suggest any bidding zones, so I can research the hotels within that zone. Sorry, but this is my first time to NY and I am a little unsure of everything. Does that sound possible or are the 3.5* hotels(or higher) in other zones at a comparable price and not worth looking into?

Thanks!

If you enter something like "nyc chelsea msg" in the Quick Search box (straight above here), you will get all the bidding results for that particular Priceline zone. They are nicely sorted by date, and the completed bids are very consistently titled with star level, city/zone, hotel, $bid and date(s). This will let you efficiently read how other NYC visitors grapple with the same issues with which you are grappling. You can scan down and just look at the star levels you are considering bidding.

Take the zone names as they are used in the overall NYC-Priceline area. If you don't use the "shorthand" names your search won't come up with anything. I started with a search including "new york" and missed all those that just have "nyc".

Hint - a higher number in the Replies column can indicate a more in-depth discussion.

Don't miss the reviews under the Hotel Reviews tab above. Lots of kind people are very helpful there.

And finally, it took me quite a while until I realized those Priceline maps will zoom in. When you do that, you can see the actual MTA subway stations by name.

Romelle

At the moment i don't think you'll likely save very much by trying for a 3.5* vs. a 4*, but if you want to research the hotels the zones typically recommended at the 3.5* level:

ESB, MSG, MTW, TS

Once you decide upon star levels and/or zones let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]