Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Secaucus-N. Bergen) Prime Hotel Suites

Jasmine
By Jasmine,
in

I just got back last night from my trip and here are my thoughts:

I had some trouble actually finding the hotel. Mapquest directions weren't entirely clear and I had to stop three times to ask for help (first two times I got poor directions) so it took me about 45 minutes to get there (even though the entire time I was within 5 minutes of it). At one point I was staring at the hotel from across the NJ Turnpike but couldn't find a road to take me across to it! :) Not the hotel's fault - just thought I'd mention it.

It was about noon when I finally got into the lobby and although it was too early to check-in, I confirmed there'd be a room waiting for me when I got back that night from the city. I also requested a non-smoking room at that time. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

They have free parking available 'next door' in a covered structure (which I believe is shared with the mall) and also some spaces (maybe 10-15) out front. I nabbed a spot out front (easier access and safer I felt). The bus to the Port Authority stops right across from the lobby doors - it is the first stop on the way to NYC and the last stop on the way back. A lot of people chose to buy 'round-trip' tickets in the morning but (1) there isn't any savings (2) you have to carry a ticket with you all day and hope you don't lose it and (3) I over heard some people telling the driver that other drivers had refused to honour the ticket (?). So I stuck with one-way fares.

I got back to the hotel around 10PM on Saturday night and it only took 2 minutes to check-in. Oddly enough they didn't even take a imprint of my credit card for incidentals (they charge for even local phone calls). I was lucky to land a room facing a quiet street/parking garage. I believe some rooms face the turnpike and I'd imagine there'd be noise. When I first walked into the room I was hit with a pretty bad smell. At first I thought they had given me a smoking room but that wasn't the case - I think the entire hotel is just pretty old and musty. By the next day all my clothes smelled funny too. They have a good a/c system though so I turned it up and it seemed to help with the smell a bit. However the air system is pretty noisy and it woke me up at night whenever it switched on (had it on 'auto').

The room itself was a good size - when you first walk in there is a pull out sofa with a love seat, a TV, coffee table and writing desk. In the adjoining room (no door) there was a King sized bed with an arm chair and another 27" TV. The bathroom was an acceptable size with a bathtub. There is a microwave, little fridge and coffee maker as well. They give you two bottles of water every day which is nice. I popped them in the otherwise empty fridge and had ice cold water for the next day.

Now the bad part... the room was pretty filthy. Maybe I just happened to get a room cleaned by a lazy maid but it was gross (and I'm not overly picky about these things). There were "foreign" hairs in the tub and on the counter top around the sink *puke* I also found an eyelash on a pillow and a plastic thingy from a price tag on the sheets. There was dust everywhere and the carpet looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in awhile. I made a point of not taking off my shoes. Breakfast costs $7 but I opted to eat in the city so I can't comment on that.

Overall, I thought the hotel was in a good location but I wouldn't want to stay there again because of the apparent lack of cleaning. Next time I'd probably opt for a newer 2.5* over the Prime Suites. Better reviews might change my mind though.

The hotels in Secaucus (Harmon Cove, Mill Creek developments) straddle the NJ turnpike and busy route 3, I would always get directions from the hotel rather than mapquest. That being said, I have had good luck with Google's maps and MSN Maps & Directions. Priceline also offers a map of the winning hotel as well as a phone number so I print it out when I get a win a bid for an unfamiliar hotel.

When it comes to a room that is not clean, I ask for a room change and speak to the manager on duty at the time.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]