JFK to Boston (by bus)

valentinabear
By valentinabear,
in

Hi, I'm planning a trip to New York and Boston between April 22 - 29 from Vancouver, Canada. I'll be flying a red-eye flight on CX to JFK and will arrive there by 7:00am. I'm planning to head to Boston first (over the weekend), then adventure back to New York (on the weekdays).

What's the easiest and cheapest way to get to Boston from JFK? Should I take the New York Airport Service and then hop on the Megabus? What time should I board the Megabus from JFK, customs and grabbing a quick breakfast? Do you think I should board the 11:00am Megabus ride? Do I have to allocate more time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't tell you how long customs will take... while i don't do too much international plane travel, there have been times when i've virtually 'walked right thru' customs and other times when i've had to wait up to 2+ hours.

However, from 7am-10am i wouldn't take the shuttle from JFK to Manhattan and traffic is more unpredictable then the line at customs (except with traffic at this hour you pretty much know it will be bad for many stretches) and i'd sooner take the AirTrain (using the LIRR connection/route rather than the subway option). This make the traffic a non-issue and also leaves you off closer to the MegaBus pick-up point (besides MegaBus there is also Bolt Bus)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The Long Island Railroad has different rates for peak/off-peak, but as you'll be heading to Manhattan during rush hour i think the total fare is ~$12-$14 (approximately $5 for Airtrain and approximately $7 for LIRR... you would buy your tickets at the machine at Jamaica Station otherwise there is a surcharge for buying your LIRR ticket on the train).

There are 2-3 routes for the airtrain, you would take the one which goes to Jamaica Station and then take the LIRR (Long Island Rail Raod)... not the subway, to Penn Station.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'll be definitely taking the LIRR route. I'm going to allocate 4 hours when I arrive at JFK so I can catch the Megabus/Boltbus. Hopefully 4 hours should be sufficient time to go through customs, take the LIRR to Manhattan, grab a quick bite and wait for the bus to arrive. Hopefully I'll find a cheap bus ride during that time!

Thanks for everything.

• 1 month later...

Another question, do you think it's a good idea to take the Chinatown bus to Boston? How do I get to the Fung Wah bus station from JFK? Or should I pay the extra bit and still take the Mega/Bolt bus?

I'll most likely take the Mega/Bolt bus. How far in advance should I make the booking?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]