AZ Tucson Omni National Golf Resort North

rc408
By rc408,
in

This was my second stay at this property and I loved it. I called the night before I arrived to verify my reservation and request a no-smoking room with two beds. They were very happy to reserve it for me with no problem. I called again early the day of arrival to change the room to a king bed (My traveling companion couldn't make the trip) and get an early check in. Again, no problem at all, they sounded very eager to help in any way they could.

I arrived about 11am and parked in the covered parking garage for guests. I was greeted by everyone I passed, check-in was quick, easy and very friendly. I verified a reservation I have for July and used a free upgrade coupon I received when I joined the Omni Select program. I was afraid they wouldn't let me use the coupon since I booked with Priceline, but they reserved a Casita for me for those dates without a problem. There was no mention of Priceline at check-in or at any other time during my stay. The last time I was there I did get United Mileage Plus miles as well. I forgot my card this time but will call to request the miles. They have a fantastic staff here!

The room was beautiful and big with a full size walk in closet, a sitting area and a seperate make-up area outside of the bathroom. The batroom is huge and has a seperate shower and a full size bath tub. The view I had was of the golf driving range with the mountains in the background. The hotel and grounds are well kept up and clean and the staff is always smiling.

The hotel has a world class golf course (I belive the PGA played there a few months ago). I haven't played here but have heard it is really nice. There are also a couple of restaurants which I also have not been to. There is a gift shop and a full spa as well as a gym that is included with the stay. Be aware of the $12 per night Resort Services Fee that is charged at the end of your stay whether you use the facilities provided or not.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting North Tucson.

Pictures are posted at Realhotelphotos.com

• 2 months later...

Just spent a few nights at this property. At $44 on priceline (+ the seemingly unavoidable $12 resort fee) it is impossible to complain. In advance of my stay, I joined the free Omni Select frequent stay program, and they pleasantly provided the benefits for my priceline stay. That included upgrading me to a 1000 sq. foot "hacienda" duplex-style casita using a new member coupon, and bringing free morning beverages to my room.

I was a little concerned by the far north location, but it is close enough to I-10 to negate that disadvantage. As anyone who has visited Tucson knows, other than I-10, the town is essentially without freeways, so being relatively near the highway can be useful if you're going out and about.

The grounds of this sprawling property are quite nice, with lots of rabbits, birds and waterfowl wandering about. The casita-style rooms are largely spread out around the property, with some units quite large (like mine) and others more hotel-like in size. The resort is a mixed-use type property, with private residences adjacent to the hotel buildings. The haciendas have kitchens (sadly without microwaves), which I utilized to make my family a full breakfast one day. There is a large Bashas supermarket about a mile from the hotel (just ask the cashier to use her frequent shopper card), so getting supplies is easy. The hacienda rooms are great if you're travelling with kids, as there's a pull out sofa in the living room and plenty of room for everyone. In the main bedroom, they also have the best black-out curtains I have ever seen, which is very useful during Arizona summers since with their screwy time (they don't observe DST) it gets light around 5 am.

There are two pools, both large. One feels like a upscale "community pool" (with tennis courts), and the other a more swank resort pool.

The hotel also has a spa, which I toured but did not use. Your resort fee gets you in, but treatments are additional (and, as you would expect, quite expensive). Being there in summer, I had no use for a hot tub, steam room or sauna (and neither did anyone else -- the place was deserted), but the facilities looked fairly posh.

The focus of the hotel is certainly golf, and the course looks nice if you like to play and don't mind parting with $65 ( they sometimes have golf packages that are better deals for golfers than priceline's room only rates).

I didn't get a chance to eat at the hotel, and I was surprised that they weren't pushing any "special offers" to guests (during the slower summer season, Arizona hotels often have dining deals -- if you're eating at the hotel, it would pay to ask). Restaurant prices looked fair for a resort hotel, and there was a very inexpensive kids menu. BTW, if you're travelling with kids, tell the receptionist when you check in, as they'll give the kids a free activity pack if they have them in stock.

Frommers describes the rooms as "the most luxurious in Tucson" but that is quite an overstatement. Frankly, they seemed a litle dated and in need of some updates -- carpets were worn in places, and the furniture seemed late 80s-ish (generally big and semi-ugly). But the rooms are fine, about what you'd expect from a typical Marriott, good but not luxurious. There is also some construction going on next door (maybe more private residences?), so not every view is pristine, but I don't think this construction would bother most folks.

The other strange thing is that if you're staying in the haciendas, the "feel" of the place is more of an upscale residential community than a hotel. Indeed, you could easily spent your entire visit without ever stepping back into the hotel lobby. That didn't bother me, but everyone is different.

If you get to the lobby, there is a one-computer "business center," which is free for guest use and useful for things like airline check in and printing boarding passes.

Bottomline is that if you can get this place at "priceline prices," you should definitely do so. At "regular rates," I might be more picky.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]