hot Wire and Bed Bugs

Lucky1
By Lucky1,
in

I recently booked a NYC hotel on hotwire. I was happy enough with the hotel at the time. It claimed to be a 4* and even though every other site listed it as a 3.5*, I was content with the price and happy to stay there. A couple months later, I started to notice posts on various sites about the serious bed bug problem at the hotel. Granted, NYC has a problem with many hotels, but what was particularly concening was that the management of this hotel refused to admit the problem. One Chicago woman was even suing the hotel. And some of the posts were from the hotel's own employees.

I have a particular sensitivity to any insect bites and have a severe reaction, so naturally I was concerned.

I contacted Hotwire and explained the situation and after several replies back and forth, some of which were a complete brush off and didn't even address my concerns, but rather took the form of a pre-fab letter on another issue, they finally said that I would have to stay at the hotel and experience the problem before I could contact them to do anything. In other word, I have to get bitten (which would undoubtendly ruin my entire trip) before they would even consider addressing the problem.

That is the last time I will ever use this service and the last time any of my friends or family will use it. They may have saved a few bucks by refusing to change or refund my hotel, but they literally lost thousands in business.

So...BEWARE OF BEDBUGS AND HOTWIRE'S POLICY THAT THEY SHOULD BITE YOU AND RUIN YOUR TRIP BEFORE THEY TAKE ACTION.

Feel free to post this on any additional sites that will help people. I have and will continue to. People need to know what they're getting into. Sometime a good deal is a really really bad one.

Sorry to see that this didn't work out to your satisfaction, but as per Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Thanks!

Please share your winning bid with the board and post a conclusion to your Priceline New York City topic and we will comment further.

I'm not minimizing the bedbug problem but there are also many false bedbug reports online. People who don't get the upgrade they wanted or had some other issue with a hotel will post that the hotel has bedbugs out of spite. Maybe an ex-employee with a grudge or someone at a competing hotel. In my opinion the MAJORITY of bedbug reports on TripAdvisor are false.

Which hotel is this?

You said you recently booked, but then a couple of months later noticed reviews stating the hotel had bed bugs? I think providing your travel details would be of some help and lend towards providing some assistance. I always check bedbugregistry.com, but this is pretty much just a review site. People post whether or not there were bed bugs, what the hotel was like, etc.

You have to realize though, reviews can be pretty biased. I was checking up on a hotel once and say a review someone wrote that started out saying he was upset because they didn't have HBO and so he couldn't watch True Blood. Then at the end, after ranting about the lack of HBO for a few lines, says the hotel has bed bugs. :/

Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak and tempers the strong.

While I have a beef with Hotwire's fudging hotel star ratings amenities on smaller hotels

I do not think it fair to blame them for bedbugs in individual hotels which is something clearly they cannot control.

So for me if you have a beef and actually had damages(it seems not) of any kind check woth your individual hotel.

In the future it is easy to inspect hotel rooms for bedbugs "fecal spots" are the telltale sign simply get amother room.

I for one will continue to book Hotwire for their excellent value on 4 star and above.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]