MCO Orlando, FL area car rental help-info needed

terpfan1980
By terpfan1980,
in

Looking to get a rental car in Orlando, FL area in Feb. Prices for rentals at Airport are way above what I'd like, though when I check prices in the area I see more of what I'd like to pay. Question is if I go with rental that is listed as just Orlando, rather than MCO (Orlando airport), how far away from the airport would I likely have to get and how would I get there? Are there shuttles from the airport to the non-airport rental company lots? Taxi (and if so, how much? so I can factor that into what I should think of paying).

Thanks in advance for any tips that are offered

HOTWIRE shows approximate mileage (from the city center i believe) to the rental location... taxi would be your most likely source to get to the rental counter, and this would be at your own expense.

What are the date(s) of this rental? What type of car class are you seeking and what is your expected budget? (both per nite and 'all-in' including taxes/fees?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

HOTWIRE shows approximate mileage (from the city center i believe) to the rental location... taxi would be your most likely source to get to the rental counter, and this would be at your own expense.

What are the date(s) of this rental? What type of car class are you seeking and what is your expected budget? (both per nite and 'all-in' including taxes/fees?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I started with both links from here. Hotwire's pricing wasn't that bad, but not knowing how much to expect the cab ride would be to get to the car rental location, I was a bit leery of completing a purchase yet. For now I'm trying some name-your-own pricing with Priceline figuring worst case I should be able to go with Hotwire's off-airport rental pricing. Looking mostly for a compact car, or mid-sized at largest, as I'll be running up from Orlando area to Daytona a couple of the days (there during the Daytona 500 race weekend).

Hotwire offi-airport looked to be about $220 for the time I'm looking at. Priceline and/or Hotwire cars from the airport were about 3x (or more) that pricing. I can't imagine a couple of taxi rides (to pick-up and to drop-off) to the rental car lots would be that expensive from the airport, but not knowing Orlando's taxi cab rates, I wanted to try to research in advance.

I just found a taxi fare calculator for Orlando area. http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando That shows cab fare of about $40 - $45 (including tip) for a 12 mile ride, so it would seem that I still come out way ahead if I go off-airport for the rental (since the different pricing is in the $20's per day off-airport, and $60's and up at the airport). If there is some sort of shuttle bus from the airport to the off-airport locations, all the better, but of course I won't know until after I book the car where I'd be renting from and whether that would be possible.

The 'city' rental companies will not offer a shuttle to the airport... even rental companies which are technically off-site are considered 'airport locations' if they have a shuttle to the airport. The best you'll likely be able to hope for is a local bus which stops near the rental location.

Another advantage of the off-site location is that the fees/taxes are usually dramatically lower... but of course this comes at a trade-off of convenience.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]