Priceline Hotel: 4* Seattle (Downtown) Alexis Hotel

Sailaway
By Sailaway,
in

I went on Hotwire for the first time to check for a downtown Seattle hotel near Pike Place and the few I saw were NOT bargains. I want a hotel for one night July 30, 2005. I didn't see a hotel with the icons that decribed Crowne Plaza either. It had the right icons, except it also has GOLF. I'm just hoping there will be some other hotels coming available at much cheaper rates. I don't want to go with Priceline because it doesn't divide the downtown area up as specifically as Hotwire.

Should I just be checking all the time? Does it change hour by hour? I'm just surprised to see some of you getting hotels like the Crowne Plaza for under $100. Or was that only LAST year?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Can you be more specific as to what prices you were seeing?

Summer is an expensive time in Seattle so you should expect higher prices than at other times of the year. What star rating and price are you looking for?

I was in Seattle of July of last year so have a bit of experience bidding during this timeframe.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Saturday nights in Seattle in the summer will probably be quite expensive. If there's a cruise ship docking or leaving around that time, which is very likely, this will be even more true. Seattle has long tended to be somewhat expensive for Priceline and Hotwire anyway.

Yes, we're taking a cruise to Alaska the next day. I've seen some cheaper rates for lower starred hotels online (which aren't quite as centrally located), such as the Ramada Inn and La Quinta Inn and Suites. I was trying to stay away from them if possible. I had hoped I could secure a nicer hotel through Hotwire or even Priceline. But, like you said, it's an expensive time of year and naturally they can make money off us cruisers who are already broke from paying for that. :)

I thought I saw some good rates for July on this forum, though. Maybe it was last year. Oh, well. I'll keep trying and if I don't find something, I'll just go ahead and book it the "normal way". All we really need is a place to sleep the night before. So, I guess it doesn't have to be posh. :)

Thanks!

Hi! The rates were $265 for a 4.5, $163 for a 4. $130 for a 3.5 and $129 for a 3. $112 for a 2.

I can find those rates and lower on my own. :)

Well, I'll keep trying. I don't want to go with Priceline and take the chance of getting a hotel further away than we want.

Thanks for replying!

Here is the information i was told (and followed) when i began my 4* bidding for last summer...

As you are aware, Priceline's zone is big, covering the entire downtown area, while hotwire's zone is divided into two, essentially the Pike Place Market area and the Space Needle.

At the 4* level via priceline, there are no hotels that have been reported in the area around the space needle, so there is some risk using priceline from the standpoint that you could be the first to report a new hotel or one that has recently been upgraded, but from those who know the area i am told the risk of a new hotel at the 4* level is quite low (somebody local can correct me if this is no longer the case).

While you may be able to find lower rated hotels at prices similar to what HOTWIRE is showing you, i don't think that their 4* hotel is out of line at all.... yes it will likely be cheaper on Priceline, but it would still likely be north of $100, which is what the city is able to get in the summertime (the upside is that the weather is usually beautiful... unlike other times of the year).

So, it comes down to how much you are looking to spend and what quality you are seeking (and knowing that will begin to put us on the right track to help you get the best deal).

On a side note, in keeping with the value that users of this board seek, i highly recommend the 'early bird half price bar lounge menu' at Brasa (click MENUS>>Bar Menu for the menu and hours of the 'special' at the bottom of the page).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

4* Alexis Hotel -- Saturday 7/30 one night -- Downtown

1st Bid--------DT.................................. $105 rejected

2nd Bid------Added University of WA......$108 rejected

3rd Bid------Added Bothell......................$112 ACCEPTED!

I decided to go with it because last week they wouldn't even accept $130 for 4* Downtown Seattle.

I was kind of expecting the Sheraton or Westin judging from other bids, but I have stayed in several Kimpton Group Boutique hotels in San Francisco, so I feel we'll be pleased. I love the proximity to the "tourist" sights! And, it's a 4*! :)

Congratulations on your win.

Thank you for posting to the board and adding this new hotel to our lists! If we see it come up some more we may have to 'expect' one more possibility for this area... time will tell.

Enjoy your stay. Please add your comments/experience to our HOTEL REVIEW forum upon your return.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]