Hotwire overcharge

csciguy
By csciguy,
in

Recently I booked a hotel through Hotwire. It was 3 star at $89 a night. We get to the hotel and when we check in, notice a rate of $62 per night on a check in sheet we signed. Upon checking out, and signing the final bill, the $62 rate was definitely in print and we were given a copy of this receipt.

Is there any recourse for Hotwire charging us $198 total (2 nights + taxes, etc), verses the hotel only billing a total of about $142? We were really displeased with the hotel, then seeing that we could have booked it directly from them for $62 really got me good.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

What hotel was this... have you posted this win to the board?

Please post the details of your win to the board (or indicate which of your threads this refers to) and we'll further comment on your situation above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

To answer the question, I would guess that was the rate that Hotwire was paying the hotel. Of course, Hotwire will charge you more than that amount (that's how they make money). However, you would never get the $62 rate with the hotel directly. At least in my experience, the times I've had a rate on my bill when booked through Hotwire it has been because the hotel's reservation system will not allow them to hide it. I'm making assumptions but I would guess that's the rate you saw. You paid $89 plus tax and fees per night, Hotwire keeps $27 per night plus their booking fee, and the hotel gets $62 per night, and the government gets their taxes. That's probably the breakdown of what you paid in this scenario.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]