By plars4,
in

Ambassador East Hotel

1301 North State Parkway

Chicago, IL 60610

$90.00 Bid Price

$21.56 Taxes and Fees

$111.56 Total Charges

Booked this hotel for my son, who will be staying one night in Chicago with a friend. They are both college students, so I felt that the NMA-River North zone was best for them. Tried bidding on 4* and 3.5* hotels up to $100 without success. Bid of $87 for a 3* was rejected. Upped it to $90 and it was accepted. TripAdvisor has it listed as a 3.5* hotel. Regular rate for this hotel on their website is $219/night.

This is a Monday night, so they would like to find somewhere to have Chicago-style pizza and watch the Monday night football game. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for parking to avoid the higher hotel parking charges? Is it safe to walk the streets at night?

Booked this hotel using the PRICELINE link on the board. Thank you!

Congratulations on your success!

Looks like a very nice deal and savings for this stay... hope your son his happy with the results and this works well for his plans.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Hope he has a great time in Chicago.

PS- i'm sure AaronJB will be able to add some deep dish pizza/football suggestions once he sees this thread.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Back decades ago before all the hotels downtown now, The Ambassador East was "the" hotel downtown - it played host to some of Hollywood's greatest who were visiting, and the hotel has an incredibly rich history (some suites are named for the celebs who stayed there.)

In present day, this is a nice but older property that was recently bought out by famed boutique operator/creator Ian Schrager. The property will be developed into more of a modern day boutique in 2011, yet still retaining the history of the hotel and the very historic Pump Room restaurant. This property was under the Omni chain not that long ago, but I believe has been part of the Premier Hotels chain recently.

I liked this hotel when I stayed there; it's certainly not a stunner in comparison to a lot of the more modern properties in the area, but it's nice and it feels like there's a lot of history in the property - hopefully they still have the wall of signed photos in the lobby.

If they are college students, they may like the area - the Gold Coast is pretty lively, and has a lot of restaurants and nightlife. There should be no problem whatsoever finding a bar to watch the game, such as Butch McGuire's on nearby Division, and they may like PJ Clarke's down the street from the hotel. There are a lot of people in this area at night and while one always has to be aware of their surroundings, there shouldn't be any problems being out at night.

Parking's a problem - there is a lot on the opposite corner from the hotel that may be cheaper; if not, there is parking in the 900 N. Michigan Ave. Mall; that's not too far away, and that's $30 for 24 hours. There are a few other public lots nearby, and I'd check around, but those are two nearby options. Parking in Chicago is - unfortunately - expensive, and I'd expect at least around $20-25 a night.

As for pizza, there's a Giordanos on Rush about a 5-7 minute walk South of the hotel, but if they aren't feeling like walking anywhere, one block West of this hotel on Dearborn (go one block West of the AE, then walk about half a block South and it's on the West side of the street) is Edwardo's. Edwardo's is not discussed much, but I think it's actually very good. This location is more take-out though (although there are a couple of tables), so they may prefer just taking it back to the room.

Additionally, in terms of drinks/snacks, there's a giant Jewel grocery a few blocks West on the corner of Clark/Division.

Happy to help! :)

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all; additionally, there's a Corner Bakery a few blocks due South of the hotel, which is a fine choice for a quick breakfast. If they want more of a traditional breakfast, a couple of blocks down from where Corner Bakery is is Rush and Bellevue. Go a couple of doors East on Bellevue and there's the little Original Pancake House. Great place, but small and there may be a line.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]