LA New Orleans Sheraton Downtown

sophielaura
By sophielaura,
in

Booked two rooms through Priceline for one night during our family road trip vacation. Hotel was fine, standard four star fare, and literally just off the French Quarter. Rooms are well furnished, with soft beds and good linen. Have seen comments on a few review sites with regards to hotels new elevator system. Can

• 1 month later...

Just returned home from a week's stay in New Orleans at the Sheraton Downtown. Booked this hotel thru Hotwire - called a week before & politely asked if we could "request" a king bed on an upper floor overlooking the city. When we arrived at hotel, we were treated just as any other guest, with no mention of Hotwire, & were granted a room on 36th floor overlooking the city.

Rooms overall were roomy, with very comfy bedding & sheets...Bathroom was "run of the mill" - nothing fancy & a bit cramped with the way the door opened into it, but served its purpose just fine. Rugs in room were stained here & there, TV was just OK....the channel choices are limited, you dont spend much time in room watching TV.

Pool area was on the small side, but I do believe that is the norm for this area, most of the pools seemed to be roof deck type size. I went 3 days in a row, never had a problem getting a chair, & it suited me just fine for relax time in between sightseeing etc....

Elevators CAN be a bit slow during busy days if there is a conference or something going on, but when hotel isnt real busy they were just fine. The "free" computer access is in the lobby down behind the bar on both ends...most times had no problem using a computer, but this also can be busy if there is a conference going on. The computers are hooked up to a printer, so we made good use of buying a few Restaurant.com certificates while we were there.

Location is excellent!! right on Canal St - a short walk to the French Quarter, museums, shopping, & the Superdome (if the Saints happen to be playing a home game while you are there, GO!! it is FUN!!). The trolley car is right in front of the hotel, & the bus stops are very close to hotel also.

We did NOT rent a car...no need to if you are happy staying in city & seeing all it has to offer...parking is VERY expensive to have a car when u wont really use it. Took a cab to & from the airport - $33.00 each way/2 ppl - We did do a swamp tour one day & they do offer hotel p/up to bring you out to the swamps...that was fun!!

must do's....Cafe Dumond for coffee & beneigts (donuts)....walk on Bourbon St at night for the party & music, ghosts & legends tour - best at night when dark out so you get the spooky ghost feel.....Unique Market for the dollar beers to walk with (also has a 99 cent ATM there - be careful using ATM's down there - most charge a 4 - 5 dollar fee ON TOP of the fee's your bank charges!!), carraige ride thru french qtr, Voodoo cocktail at John Lafittes blacksmith bar...haunted, spooky & fun - its actually a grape slushy drink made with whiskey & everclear 190 proof, & no u CANNOT taste the alcohol in it so beware!! shopping @ the French Market, & so much more!!

Great restaurants we found - Fluer de Lis on Chartres - great breakfast!! - Mona Lisa (on Royal?) just ask someone - GREAT Italian with great prices - locals love it - Gumbo Pot - I liked the Po Boy I had here....

would recommend the Sheraton by all means, treated very nicely, & had no complaints at all ....ENJOY!!

• 3 months later...

Stayed 2 nights in Feb 2011.

Great location on Canal St. Originally I was bidding for a hotel in the French Quarter, but in hindsight having now stayed at the Sheraton, I think it is a better location than just about any other.

We were given a room on the 39th floor and never a hint of any Priceline bias. I think it can finally be put to bed about a Priceline bias. I haven't seen it in 4 years of using Priceline. It may have been a factor in the early days, but times change and I think no stigma is attached nowadays.

Room was nice and roomy, bathroom adequate.

Internet was free in the common areas and $6.95 in the room, wired or wireless. I chose to pay because I wanted to upload some video to a blog and wanted the security of a wired connection to get the job completed. Whilst in this day and age any charge is just a blatant price gouge, $6.95 is not outrageous so I made that decision.

Would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]