Priceline Hotel: 4* Minneapolis-St Paul (Downtown Minneapolis) Hilton

jimmygibbon
By jimmygibbon,
in

Hi Theruare and everybody,

I am trying to book a 4* Minneapolis Downtown hotel on priceline for 9-3-10 and 9-4-10. I have booked this trip annualy for the last several years on priceline and usually got the Hyatt for anywhere from $35 to $42. Today, while attempting to bid, I was only allowed 1 rebid zone on two attemps and then was shown a large list of recommended hotels and was not able to change my request by adding rebid zones. When I checked the status of my request, it said that my attempts were unsuccessful. I realize that there are 14 rebid zones and am wondering if something on priceline has changed and the number of rebids by adding additional zones has been severely limited. It has been a year since I have tried this and perhaps something has changed. If anyone can shed some light on this scenario it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Theruare, for all that you do.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I realize that there are 14 rebid zones and am wondering if something on priceline has changed and the number of rebids by adding additional zones has been severely limited. It has been a year since I have tried this and perhaps something has changed.

No, nothing has changed with the re-bid zones. If you did this correct is my guess that it's only a glitch in the system.

To refresh your memory, read this link: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

If you have any question or need help so just post.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

PS. Please follow-up this thread with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, cancell your trip, etc.

Can you try again if you close the browser, click this PRICELINE link and then try?

Hi Aaron,

I just tried again using the link you provided and this is what happened:

1. Selected Minneapolis Downtown 4*

2. Bid 35.00

3. Presented with the option to change something about my bid.

4. Added Minneapolis Airport area and rebid 36.00

5. Got this dreaded screen message: Thank You for Naming Your Own Price

I just posted this on another thread.

It`s always best to start a fresh bid anyway.

So if this happens, just close the browser tab, open BetterBidding, and click the PRICELINE link at the top right of the page, and proceed to the next bid combination.

I would suspect, though, that $36 is probably just too low. If you want to keep your costs low, consider going to a 3* or 3.5*, if you think the reviews are OK. On a recent trip I had the Crowne Plaza (3*) and Millennium (3.5*) and both were good. (I did have a renovated room at the Millennium, though.) However, I suspect $36 is probably too low even for a 3*.

Hi Will,

Thanks very much for your post. OK, when I clicked on the link in your post, I was still given only one rebid opportunity. Now when I clicked on the blue PRICELINE box on the BetterBidding home page, it was a different story. Here's the synopsis:

1. Selected Minn Downtown 4*, bid 39.00

2. Added rebid zone, bid 40.00

3. Added rebid zone, bid 41.00

4. Added rebid zone, bid 41.00

5. Added rebid zone, bid 42.00

6. Added rebid zone, bid 42.00

7. Added rebid zone, bid 43.00

8. Added rebid zone, bid 43.00

9. Added rebid zone, bid 44.00

10. Added rebid zone, bid 45.00

11. Added rebid zone, bid 46.00

12. Added rebid zone, bid 47.00

13. Added rebid zone, bid 48.00

14. Added rebid zone, bid 49.00

15. Added rebid zone, bid 53.00

16. Bid rejected

I hope I don't have to sleep in my car, lol

jimmy

Given that there's a 4* on HOTWIRE in downtown Minneapolis for $70 when I search for 9/3-9/5 and regular rates don't seem high, I don't think you're likely far off from a win.

I'm guessing you're looking at a more likely acceptance range of $57-65, although hopefully towards the lower end of that range.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

What is your maximum bid at each star level?

For a 4* i'm guessing you may be looking at ~$55-$63.

Assuming your car isn't an option, what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru conventional booking channels?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Thereuare,

I guess because I am traveling tomorrow, I won't be able to do anymore bidding on PRICELINE as I have exhausted the 3.5* and 4* bidding opportunities and I don't think I will be allowed to bid the same trip. I did see a 4* for $70.00 on HOTWIRE and I may have to go that route, unless I am able to log in to PRICELINE and create a new account and rebid up to the 4* level to the $70.00 mark. I had hoped to be in the area of 50.00 for each night, but that does not look likely. Thank you very much for your board, I very much appreciate the help and info that you provide.

jimmy

I think Minneapolis has reasonable 3* options (although that's obviously for you to decide). Keep in mind that until you actually try to purchase the HOTWIRE hotel, you can't know if it really exists. More than once I have tried to click through and purchase a HOTWIRE offering, only to be told it isn't available. So I'd do something quickly, considering today is Sept. 2.

Note that with HotelsCombined.com you can get the downtown Hilton Garden Inn for $78 and the Millennium for $79 (did not check their websites). But I'd probably bid higher on PRICELINE before accepting these.

The 4* HOTWIRE 4* matches previous reports for the Hilton Towers, Hilton Marquette, Radisson Plaza and the Westin, so any of these would be a likely candidate. Of the group my best guess is the Radisson Plaza, which is 3.5* rated by PRICELINE, which explain why based upon the HOTWIRE rate you think you're close when bidding on a 4* hotel via PRICELINE, but not really comparing apples-to-apples.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you're happy with the results and didn't need to go too much higher then you did previously.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]